Searching For Local Golf Course

Status
Not open for further replies.

cdawg030

Years ago, I worked at a golf course and the maintenance building is (as the crow flies) about 6000 ft from my current office. I have a BCD436HP and assumed I would be able to hear their traffic from my office, but I never have heard anything that sounded like them talking on their radios. When I worked there (20 years ago), we used 2 channel two way Motorola radios. The maintenance team was on channel 2 and the clubhouse was on channel 1. I have no clue what frequencies we used or they use today. I have been assuming it is FRS/GMRS, but I am new to searching and may be way off. I don't see a listing in the database for a license for that company so I assume it is FRS or GMRS. I scan FRS, GMRS & MURS regularly. I use the SRH77CA antenna but my building has a metal roof and I'm in the center of the building with poor reception, though, I am able to hear P25 and other conventional trunk systems clearly from the next county over.

Am I too far to hear them or should I do a certain type of search to try to find them? What frequencies do you recommend I search within? If you think I am too far, I could always drive down their road and try a search or scanning FRS/GMRS only.

I am limited on adding an exterior antenna because it is a place of business, but I am soon to be trialing putting a mobile wide band antenna above my drop ceiling to see how it works. There are no windows in my building, except by the doors, which are not near me. Any other suggestions on doing something like this?

Thanks for any suggestions.

SkiBob

Premium Subscriber
I think a good start would be to make a visit on a busy day and actually look and see if they are using radios. If they are, put your scanner on "close call" and take a slow stroll in the pro shop. Maybe take a long lunch at the snack bar. Whatever it takes until that "close call" goes off and you nail the frequency. Take a look outside and see if you see a tower or antenna on a building that might indicate they have a repeater. You need to go put eyes on the operation.

You won't likely hear them a mile away with your portable antenna while inside a building. If they are using standard commercial retail radios, they will hardly go 1/2-1 mile in range. FRS might go 1/2 mile.

I have a golf course near me and all I hear are tee times being called out to the marshal. Maintenance is not heard. Unlike 20 years ago, cell phones are an easy way to go and that may be what they are doing.

Hope this helps.

cdawg030

Great suggestions. I’ll go have lunch at the clubhouse one day and see what I can find out.

kma371

QRT
It may not be in the database here because no one has identified it. You can search FCC records to see if they are licensed.

Status
Not open for further replies.