Searching for new TGID?

Status
Not open for further replies.

shmiller58

School Board of Sarasota County has already transitioned to project 25 Motorola system. The transportation and higher level of security already had a talk group ID. All schools have been issued new Motorola APX 900 radios. I have tried scanning for new IDs and nothing is showing up. Last month I had access to one of these radios and it still did not pick up even though I was transmitting. I was going to be helpful and give updates to the talk group IDs for most if not all of the schools. All of the schools will be using this new radio system for the entire county starting next month. Channel 1 and channel 2 will be site-specific for the school and can be used anywhere within the county. Channel 3 and 4 will be radio to radio communication that will only be accessible within the range of the radios. Does anybody have any idea as to how I can figure out the new talk group ids using a Uniden BCD-436 home patrol scanner?

dave3825

Premium Subscriber
If your scanning the new system, you want that system set to ID Search , not ID Scan which it sounds like its in.

From on the scanner,

Toggle ID Scan or ID Search
While scanning each Trunked System, press Func then E/yes.
Note:
ID Search is not available with the Database.

If in Sentinel, Edit Favorites List > System > Options Tab: Make sure 'ID Search' is On if no IDs are programmed or you want to learn of new ones not programmed in the favorites list.

natedawg1604

Premium Subscriber
So hey if you get access to an APX 900 again, here is one option to verify EVERY TG in the radio. First, figure out what system, and then what site the radio is affiliating to. Some radio shops program a button to show you the RSSI level and site number (not zone) of the site your currently affiliated to, you might check to see if that feature is accessible.

Then get a $20 RTL/SDR dongle and a computer/laptop with Unitrunker or DSD+, and start logging the same site the radio is affiliating to.

Then start somewhat slowly flipping through every channel, of every programmed zone. NOTE: there is no need to key-up! Most likely if it's a school radio it won't have that many zones. But regardless keep the radio parked on each channel in each zone for a few seconds. If you're affiliated to the same site your computer is logging, you just logged every talkgroup ID in the radio.

Then pull up the logs from Unitrunker, and you should be able to figure out the radio ID of your APX pretty quickly, you'll see the same radio ID affiliate ("join" in Unitrunker) to a whole bunch of TGs in a short period of time. Then click on that radio id in Unitrunker, and you'll see every talkgroup that radio affiliated to. One good thing about this technique is you don't need to key-up on a single channel, and no one will care that you're scrolling through channels/zones.

Also even if you don't have regular access to an agency radio, it's still a good idea to continuously monitor the new system/site with Unitrunker or DSD+, this will help you identify unknown talkgroups and radio IDs.

Last edited:

batdude

Florida Db Admin / Florida Forum Moderator
i am a bit confused by your post.

it looks like there is already <<SOME>> data published for the Sarasota School Board on the RR DB system page:

System entry:

Also, there is a Florida forum master thread for the Sarasota system, here:

I concur with Dave's post above --- you need to be in ID SEARCH to find the new TGs. Please keep us posted and submit updates to the DB as you figure out each school's unique TGs!

doug

shmiller58

Thank you to everyone with your responses. I will have access to a radio in a few weeks and will see what I can find out. I don’t know if channel 3 and 4 are DMR and not on the P25 system. If that is the case, I will need to upgrade my radio software from Uniden so that I can monitor those channels. Thank you again.

natedawg1604

Premium Subscriber
Thank you to everyone with your responses. I will have access to a radio in a few weeks and will see what I can find out. I don’t know if channel 3 and 4 are DMR and not on the P25 system. If that is the case, I will need to upgrade my radio software from Uniden so that I can monitor those channels. Thank you again.
APX 900's (in fact all APX's) don't support DMR, only P-25 and analog. Having a scanner nearby in Close Call mode might help as well.

CrewRest

Database Admin
I've been watching lots of activity on the Phase II channels. I did have one radio pop up on a Phase I TG and identify as Booker. Have seen in the logs where some others have also but I haven't got any audio of them. They do get very active during the school day.

CrewRest

Database Admin
I've got a lot of logs for the new system groups. If you can get your Radio id, then, how it is channelized (labels and uses) we can add that to the Data Base in RR and on our Unitrunker Software.

batdude

Florida Db Admin / Florida Forum Moderator
please continue this discussion inside the master thread:

thx!

doug

Status
Not open for further replies.