Searching for unknown P25

Status
Not open for further replies.

NikonFE2

I want to scan for unknown P25 between 854-862 mhz to find new talk groups that may be up and running. I cannot figure out how to get the radio to do this. I know how to scan conventional but not unknown trunked. I've been searching here but can't find any instructions.

RaleighGuy

Premium Subscriber
Are you looking for new TRUNKED SYSTEMS or new TALK GROUPS? Your post mentions both and you wouldn't search the 800 mhz band if you are looking for new talkgroups, you'd use the wildcard or TGID search feature on your scanner within the system you have programmed.

NikonFE2

Are you looking for new TRUNKED SYSTEMS or new TALK GROUPS? Your post mentions both and you wouldn't search the 800 mhz band if you are looking for new talkgroups, you'd use the wildcard or TGID search feature on your scanner within the system you have programmed.
[/QUOTE

I'm trying to determine if a new P25 site has gone online in my area. I was asked to scan between 854-862 mhz and watch for "
WACN/SysID and Site ID reported".

mtindor

OH/WV DB Admin
Database Admin

He is looking for new trunked systems -- AEP P25 sites most likely down in his neck of the woods. He wants to know how to use the service search on the SDS100 to scan between 854-862 mhz to check for P25 control channels.

m

RaleighGuy

Premium Subscriber
He is looking for new trunked systems -- AEP P25 sites most likely down in his neck of the woods. He wants to know how to use the service search on the SDS100 to scan between 854-862 mhz to check for P25 control channels.

Yes, I understand that now, but in his post he said...
" to find new talk groups that may be up and running. "

Which is why I asked the question.

mtindor

OH/WV DB Admin
Database Admin
I find it extremely difficult to explain how to use the Search function on the SDS series to search out P25 control channels. This mainly stems from the fact that none of my Custom Search options are the default, so I would have no idea which one to tell somebody to use.

In general though, the Search function is going to be done via Menu (red button on left side of scanner) --> Search For.

Here is what I do -- I choose Custom 9 for any search ranges that I know I might change over time.

Menu --> Search For
Select Edit Custom
Scroll down to Custom 9 and press down on the volume knob on top of the scanner
Select Edit Srch Limit
Type in 854. and press <E>
Type in 862. and press <E>

Then press the Menu button (red button on the side) until you back out to the point where you see Search For: Custom Search. Select Custom Search.

At that point, make sure 9 (and only 9) is showing up at the top of the screen under "Search". If other numbers are showing up as well, push each one of those numbers individually to disable those custom search options 1 through 8 -- until you only see "9", which is Custom 9, active.

At that point you should be scanning between 854-862 mhz. Then, it's going to pause on any birdies / interference / P25 / EDACS / DMR or any other active frequencies.

Although, if you were asking about doing this because I had asked you if you'd check for active P25 control channels in your area, you can probably disregard. The stupid SDS scanners do not show all of the relevant information about a P25 control channel that we would need. You have to jump through 50 hoops in order to be able to see all of the really relevant information. So it's probably pointless to even do this (if you were doing it to help me out).

If you do decide to do it, you'll specifically be looking for frequencies that:

a. displays P25 NAC ???? -- where ???? is a hex System ID
b. displays SysID: 1F6h or 1F7h

If you run across any that meet both A and B, please note the frequency and report to me (via private message or via the AEP P25 forum thread) the SysID and NAC shown.

Thanks!

Mike

NikonFE2

I find it extremely difficult to explain how to use the Search function on the SDS series to search out P25 control channels. This mainly stems from the fact that none of my Custom Search options are the default, so I would have no idea which one to tell somebody to use.

In general though, the Search function is going to be done via Menu (red button on left side of scanner) --> Search For.

Here is what I do -- I choose Custom 9 for any search ranges that I know I might change over time.

Menu --> Search For
Select Edit Custom
Scroll down to Custom 9 and press down on the volume knob on top of the scanner
Select Edit Srch Limit
Type in 854. and press <E>
Type in 862. and press <E>

Then press the Menu button (red button on the side) until you back out to the point where you see Search For: Custom Search. Select Custom Search.

At that point, make sure 9 (and only 9) is showing up at the top of the screen under "Search". If other numbers are showing up as well, push each one of those numbers individually to disable those custom search options 1 through 8 -- until you only see "9", which is Custom 9, active.

At that point you should be scanning between 854-862 mhz. Then, it's going to pause on any birdies / interference / P25 / EDACS / DMR or any other active frequencies.

Although, if you were asking about doing this because I had asked you if you'd check for active P25 control channels in your area, you can probably disregard. The stupid SDS scanners do not show all of the relevant information about a P25 control channel that we would need. You have to jump through 50 hoops in order to be able to see all of the really relevant information. So it's probably pointless to even do this (if you were doing it to help me out).

If you do decide to do it, you'll specifically be looking for frequencies that:

a. displays P25 NAC ???? -- where ???? is a hex System ID
b. displays SysID: 1F6h or 1F7h

If you run across any that meet both A and B, please note the frequency and report to me (via private message or via the AEP P25 forum thread) the SysID and NAC shown.

Thanks!

Mike
Thanks! I was doing it incorrectly. I was trying to use "Discover" instead of "search for". I didn't even see "search for" in the menu! I'll let you know if I find anything.

Status
Not open for further replies.