Searching Frequency's with FreeScan's Custom Search Abilty

Status
Not open for further replies.

axiom84

I'm using Freescan with a BCT15x and programming is a snap for trunk and analog utilizing RR's database... However I'm not having much success in utilizing FreeScan's options to do conventional scanning of various bands, such as HAM, Marine, etc. I've not been able to locate any Step by Step instructions as how to scan between inputted frequencys (lower & upper). I've located the "CUSTOM SEARCH" in Freescan, but that's as far as I get... I would appreciate if anyone has detailed instruction as how to use the preset bands in CUSTOM SEARCH to locate active channels. I'm guessing I would control this action via the VIRTUAL CONTROL of FreeScan... Yes? Thanks!!!!

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
Unfortunately this is an area where our user guide is pretty weak, but the Easier to Read guide is where I would start first. Once you understand it from there, then start fooling around with the options in FreeScan.

Easier to Read BCT15-X Scanner Manual

There's a good bit of setup that has to happen besides just setting your upper/lower limits. When you get it working to your satisfaction consider writing something up for the user guide - other users will no doubt appreciate it.

best regards..Mike

axiom84

FreeScan Search Instructions

Thanks Mike for your suggestion, though I'm very familiar with the "Easy Manual" for the 15x...... FreeScan for me has been the missing link in 15X operation, as any direct ops of the radio is just a nightmare, which many people have found (including myself). I'm hoping someone here in the forums will post the steps I need to allow FreeScan to operate the search function. It's abilty to log calls is worth the purchase price alone (Ha!).... Assaf has written a great piece of software that makes this radio a pleasure to use, though as I agree could use a well written manual to accompany it. So my request still stands.... If anyone knows how to utilze "FS" to do searches without direct input to the radio (i.e. use the virtual control), I will be most appreciative, and I'm guessing I'm not the only one who would welcome it.

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
The section in the Easier to Read manual is pretty good - after you understand that you should be able to use the FS screen - really...Why not try it and report back on what you find? best regards...Mike

[edit] By the way we do have a manual for FS, although as I mentioned before there isn't a section (yet) for the custom search screen - you can access it if you're online when using FS by selecting help/online help or here's the direct URL;

the FreeScan User Guide - the RR wiki

Last edited:

cpuerror

I'm using Freescan with a BCT15x and programming is a snap for trunk and analog utilizing RR's database... However I'm not having much success in utilizing FreeScan's options to do conventional scanning of various bands, such as HAM, Marine, etc. I've not been able to locate any Step by Step instructions as how to scan between inputted frequencys (lower & upper). I've located the "CUSTOM SEARCH" in Freescan, but that's as far as I get... I would appreciate if anyone has detailed instruction as how to use the preset bands in CUSTOM SEARCH to locate active channels. I'm guessing I would control this action via the VIRTUAL CONTROL of FreeScan... Yes? Thanks!!!!

I think you might be looking at 2 different types of search here. There is custom search, and there is service scan. The Ham/Marine stuff belong to service scan, and you can get to that by using Jump * Service Scan and picking the one you want. If you are in custom search mode, you just select the one you want (0 - 9) the same way you select systems.. Hope that helps.

GTR8000

NY/NJ Database Guy
Database Admin
You have two distinct searches with the XT models.

The first is the preset Service Searches, which include Public Safety, Ham, Marine and Railroad just to name a few. The frequencies searched for within each of those groups is locked into the scanner, you can't modify them. You can, however, assign a System Quick Key to each service so that you can very easily turn them on/off just like any other system.

The second is the Custom Search, of which there are 10 ranges you can program a lower and upper limit for, as well as modify the delay, step, modulation, etc. for each one individually. Those can also be assigned a System Quick Key per range.

If you're using FreeSCAN to program the scanner, you'll find those options on the Scanner > Setup Scanner Options page under the Custom Search and Service Search tabs.

As far as directly operating the scanner, while I can understand the learning curve in the beginning, they're really not all that intimidating once you get in there and get your hands dirty. Relying on software to do all the work will only ensure that the manual operation of the scanner will always remain a mysterious dark force to be reckoned with. Don't let the Uniden DMA fool you, it's not as complicated as it's made out to be once you spend a few days getting used to it by exploring all the menus and features. Those Easier-to-Read guides are great, don't get me wrong, however the opening line "This scanner is exceptionally harder to program for many (even seasoned programmers)" almost begs people to throw their hands up and give up in frustration before they've even taken the scanner out of the box!

Status
Not open for further replies.