Searching whether a specific Chicago Police feed frequency is available online

Status
Not open for further replies.

Eliezer

How can I find whether the feed for:
460.475 (Chicago Police - Dispatch Zone 1 - Districts 16 17)
is available online currently (either through RadioReference.com or elsewhere)?
I would love to be able to listen to my district.

Thanks,
Eliezer

Eliezer

Actually, let me modify my question:
1) How can I tell if that frequency is available on this site (RadioReference) specifically?
2) If it's not currently available on this site, is there anyone I can contact to make it available on RadioReference?

The reason I ask is I just began listening to Chicago Police scanners when I got a new application for my BlackBerry, "BerryScanner". That application can only pull the feed from this site, though.

I would really appreciate any help with this.

Thanks much,
Eliezer

KSJ745

How can I find whether the feed for:
460.475 (Chicago Police - Dispatch Zone 1 - Districts 16 17)
is available online currently (either through RadioReference.com or elsewhere)?
I would love to be able to listen to my district.

Thanks,
Eliezer

Egads! Listen online? Don't you own a scanner to listen to your district? :confused:

Eliezer

No.... Will no one help me because I don't listen directly on a scanner? Sounds like discrimination. :)

Statevillian

He or She is a first time caller...first time poster.
Maybe he/she can't afford one due to the economy?.... Maybe so he can feed it thru his bluetooth?.....
A lot of good 'online feeds' will do if the power goes out, or there is service disruption....or worse a national security event or disaster. KSJ raises a good point.....what about a scanner. Egads is right.
What's up KSJ?

RADIOGUY2002

The main chicago

The main Chicago one list on their website what frequencies are being broadcast. Some feeds include the description of what is being heard. And no, I realize not everybody has a police scanner and this kinda helps out that do not. However, do not except the feed to be up if something is going down that we feel may jeopardize officer safety etc and needs to be pulled from being online.

Eliezer

Thank you for understanding that not everyone was born with a police scanner in their back pocket. :) That's interesting: so if there's something "going down" the feed will be pulled from online, but is still available on a regular scanner? Why is that considered safe? Why in general is it safe for the police to broadcast their every move?

I digressed... :)

In any case, if it's not listed on
Live Police, Fire, and EMS Scanners on RadioReference.com
then it's not available on this site?

Thanks for your help (and your UNDERSTANDING!),
Eliezer

RADIOGUY2002

Thank you for understanding that not everyone was born with a police scanner in their back pocket. :)

-It's a hobby, that's expected on some level

That's interesting: so if there's something "going down" the feed will be pulled from online,

-No, RR the database may or may not pull it from service at their discretion just like anything else in this world. However, note that I a feed provider have no obligation to provide audio to you and do it as a curiosity for others as well as giving me the ability to monitor stuff when I'm away or traveling from my home town or town I'm interested in. It acts like a voip for me that allows me access to be able to hear audio. Some folks have even taken it further and have remote access to their terminals to disable or enable their feeds. I hope RR gives us an option to turn on or off the feed via membership access subscription. Maybe they do, I just unfamiliar with that option at the moment.

but is still available on a regular scanner?

-Yes, to a degree, not all scanners are created equal. Also, remind yourself some feeds maybe provide systems that are proprietary that scanners may not decode that are provide from users themselves that are assigned radios on that particular systems as a extend curiosity as they may feel certain things should still be broadcast while other stuff should not. That is what makes these feeds nice and providers a new perspective on listening. Please take that in consideration.

Now in straight talk, a typical scanner from radio shack maybe only be able to here certain police and fire operations / frequencies. While these feeds may support all sorts of radio traffic from dispatch centers and systems that are unmonitored threw normal everyday scanners found at radio shack.

Why is that considered safe?

-You have to understand the principles of why scanners were originally created, it would be a wise idea for you to located old articles on the background of scanning and why it was created and turn into such a huge hobby. A good start is reading the police call book intro.

Why in general is it safe for the police to broadcast their every move? They don't, and as technology demands increase they have other alternatives to tracking their movements, gps or avls and in addition to that is gps on their radio mics. A new emerging trend, as much as you don't consider it this way a police station or fire station is much like managing a normal everyday business.

I digressed... :), you can, but understand the basics first.

In any case, if it's not listed on
Live Police, Fire, and EMS Scanners on RadioReference.com
then it's not available on this site?

-Read my previous, the feeds are provide as an option not a requirement. Just the same reason why the feed can be from the anonymous person, because of the very nature of propriety based systems.

jasonpeoria911

Database Admin
All this bickering back and forth LOL. When here was the simple answer to be given, CPD Zone 1 460.475 is offered on the radioreference CPD Police & Fire scanner. It's included along with all the other CPD zones so you won't catch all the chatter specifically on Zone 1. The only individual Zone feeds is one for Zone 4, Zone 12 and the 7 Citywide channels.

If you wish to get your own scanner and specifically monitor that zone, you can get a very cheap handheld for like $20-50, if CPD was all you wanted it for.

Jason

Eliezer

Ryan, thank you for your throrough reply (not bickering :) It was very enlightening!

Jason, thank you for your most concise reply, quite to the point indeed! :) I don't quite understand what you mean, though:
CPD Zone 1 460.475 is offered on the radioreference CPD Police & Fire scanner. It's included along with all the other CPD zones so you won't catch all the chatter specifically on Zone 1.
How do they "include" Zone 1 with all the other zones? What does that mean: wouldn't we hear everyone talking on top of each other?

Thanks!
Eliezer

RADIOGUY2002

How do they "include" Zone 1 with all the other zones? What does that mean: wouldn't we hear everyone talking on top of each other?

Ah, see this is why having scanner simpifily this. But, I'll try to explain as simple as I can.
(Police scanners & Fire scanners etc) worked on this simple principle. The frequencies you enter into the scanner will scan until someone talks, and then it hold on the conversation until their done talking.

Ex:
Zone 1 460.4750 Scanner Channel 1
Car to Car 460.5250 Scanner Channel 2

Unit 1623 talks on the Zone 1 frequency and the scanner stops on channel 1 because the unit was talking. 1643 tells 1623 to switch to car to car and the unit does that, the scanner detects audio on scanner channel 2 and holds on it.

Not lets say you have mutiple units all talking at once,

Ex:
1623 and 1643 are on car to car and 1620 is on z1 frequency. Whatever the scanner detect first in the scan mode is the channel thats be broadcasted. This is kinda covered in a scanner manual, under beinngers information or new to scanning, so I can understand your confusion.

If you interseted you should attend a carma meeting if you live in Chicago area and get more helpful insight as well. But, I try to give you as many answers as I can. As I sit here and do nothing but listen to music.

Status
Not open for further replies.