Searching with FCC Proximity Search issue.

Status
Not open for further replies.

stlouisx50

I was trying to do search using the FCC ULS Search using the proximity search and found that after entering the information and clicking search, the page would just time out. I tried on different browsers and at different times. But it just would not work. So I emailed the FCC and they replied with this;

"The case you submitted via the FCC has been resolved. The resolution details for Case ID HD0000001398888 are below.

If you have any questions contact us at (877) 480-3201.

Thank You!

Summary* : System Down
Description* : Advanced License Search will not work. I entered a State and then wanted to search between two frequencies and then hit submit. But once clicking submit, it returns me to the NON advanced search and provides no results.
Solution Details : Dear Jason,

We are unable to replicate the problem you describe. If you continue to have problems, please submit another request for help at FCC Support, and reference the ?HD? tracking number of this case. Providing any or all of the information listed below will also aid us in troubleshooting your problem:

Web Site URL

Browser Type

Operating System

FRN (FCC Registration Number)

Call Sign

File Number

Exact search criteria that was entered

You can also try clearing your internet cache and restarting your browser to see if this resolves the problem.

Should you have any further questions or need additional information, please submit a request for help at FCC Support , or call the ULS Customer Support Hotline at 1-877-480-3201, and select option 2 after the main menu recording.

Sincerely,
ULS Customer Support Hotline

**Please do not reply back to this message. The e-mail address is configured for outgoing e-mail only.**"

While I know that I can use this sites search feature it only allows for a 4 mile radius, which is not large enough to me. I was able to find another FCC link that allowed me to search in a proximity though.

I just wanted to make everyone else aware of the issue with their site and their reply to the issue.

UPMan

In Memoriam
Premium Subscriber
I just tried Geosearch on the ULS and it worked fine for me.

Search criteria were:
Latitude='32-0-0 N' Longitude='96-0-0 W' Radius = 50 Miles
Radio Service = PW
Frequency Upper Band >= 120
Frequency Assigned <= 190

Got 234 hits.

jfhtm350

Some times it just goes down for whatever reason and I have seen it down for a few days before I could do a search on it.

ScannerWayne

Every year I do a search that covers my county and the freq range 30.000 to 2000.000 Mhz. I also specify the data export report. This year I got just under 4000 hits. I then copied that data to a flash drive then imported it into an Excel spreadsheet. I usually spend about an hour or so tweaking the spreadsheet to the format I prefer and then save it ( I usually print it too).

Why? Because now I don't have to rely on RR or the FCC websites to have the information at my fingertips: Just a working computer. And with Excel I can search the database very easily.

Wayne...

stlouisx50

Every year I do a search that covers my county and the freq range 30.000 to 2000.000 Mhz. I also specify the data export report. This year I got just under 4000 hits. I then copied that data to a flash drive then imported it into an Excel spreadsheet. I usually spend about an hour or so tweaking the spreadsheet to the format I prefer and then save it ( I usually print it too).

Why? Because now I don't have to rely on RR or the FCC websites to have the information at my fingertips: Just a working computer. And with Excel I can search the database very easily.

Wayne...

I too did this at my old location, I used my old uniden scanner and Auto Stored frequencies. I liked the idea that I would have 99% of all the frequencies that I could hear locally stored in my scanner.

The problem however was no auto store function with the Pro-106 or Gre-500. :(

ScannerWayne

Duplicates..

I too did this at my old location, I used my old uniden scanner and Auto Stored frequencies. I liked the idea that I would have 99% of all the frequencies that I could hear locally stored in my scanner.

The problem however was no auto store function with the Pro-106 or Gre-500. :(

When I updated my data base the other day I pulled all the busines class licenses and put them into the scanner (396XT). Neat having all that info at hand.

One of the decisions you have to make if you do this is wether or not to keep the dupicate entries. I chose to do so for a couple of reasons. First, when I examined the data I noticed that in most cases where one company had a freq listed two or more times the location of the TX'rs was different. Second, there might be two or more business using the same freq; using a sub tone to access the repeater. Thus it's just a matter of listening to figure out which one your hearing. I also activated the 'search' function to determine the tone for each entry.

Now it seems like this is a lot of trouble to go to, but I gotta tell you, it's really neat to turn on these systems (3 seperate systems for me) and let 'er rip. There is always something to hear. Most of it's mundane day to day busines stuff, but just like listening to the Public safety agencies you get an really interesting/odd/funny exchange every once in a while. And moving around town you will find that business you hadn't heard now can be heard.

Of course, if you live in a large urban area then I guess you'll have some choices to make. But the more you can put into the scanner the better.

Wayne...

stlouisx50

When I updated my data base the other day I pulled all the busines class licenses and put them into the scanner (396XT). Neat having all that info at hand.

One of the decisions you have to make if you do this is wether or not to keep the dupicate entries. I chose to do so for a couple of reasons. First, when I examined the data I noticed that in most cases where one company had a freq listed two or more times the location of the TX'rs was different. Second, there might be two or more business using the same freq; using a sub tone to access the repeater. Thus it's just a matter of listening to figure out which one your hearing. I also activated the 'search' function to determine the tone for each entry.

Now it seems like this is a lot of trouble to go to, but I gotta tell you, it's really neat to turn on these systems (3 seperate systems for me) and let 'er rip. There is always something to hear. Most of it's mundane day to day busines stuff, but just like listening to the Public safety agencies you get an really interesting/odd/funny exchange every once in a while. And moving around town you will find that business you hadn't heard now can be heard.

Of course, if you live in a large urban area then I guess you'll have some choices to make. But the more you can put into the scanner the better.

Wayne...

I do the same thing, it's a great idea. I store about everything I can pickup, Ill use the Uniden and do a search and use auto-store. Sometimes I just listen to fire, sometimes just police, other times i'll just listen to local businesses and buses.

I must say business and buss get pretty boring all-though you may get good traffic up to the min traffic/weather updates.

I have tried to get into Railroad frequencies recently , however it's pretty much the same thing over and over and I lock them out.

ScannerWayne

Fun stuff...

I do the same thing, it's a great idea. I store about everything I can pickup, Ill use the Uniden and do a search and use auto-store. Sometimes I just listen to fire, sometimes just police, other times i'll just listen to local businesses and buses.

I must say business and buss get pretty boring all-though you may get good traffic up to the min traffic/weather updates.

I have tried to get into Railroad frequencies recently , however it's pretty much the same thing over and over and I lock them out.

I used the FCC data base to pull out all the RR freqs in my area some time ago. And you're right, it's pretty boring stuff. However the reason I did it besides just having access to them on the scanner, was because of the de-railments they were having. In a matter of two months there were three de-railments in a major yard. The only reason I knew about them was I saw them as I went by the yard. The last one, I saw just after it happened. I turned on the system and there was a LOT of traffic. Seems that the yard was suffering from lack of maintinance and they were pissed about it. As a result, they have been doing a lot of RR tie replacement as well as rails over the past few months.

Being close to the Gulf of Mexico and next to Mobile bay I also have all the Marine freqs in a system as well. Again, it's pretty boring stuff most of the time, but on occaision I've heard some heated debates between captains over who has the right-of-way as vessels move around. And late at night, its interesting to listen to the captains talk among themselves about their lives and such. After a while you get to know them without ever having met them. They sorta become like family in a way. Unexpected pleasures in unexpected places.

Wayne...

Status
Not open for further replies.