seaside beach

Status
Not open for further replies.

Aircargo

Premium Subscriber
i can monitor seaside very very clear from newark...pretty good distance..i think 74 miles by car.straight line would be 50 lets say.
anyway...i programmed dispatch(freq. 460.3500) theres like 4-5 listings of freq. for seaside...are they all active...was going to put them in, was curious

txs all..........

Sybex7254

You're not hearing Seaside, you're hearing Jersey City Police West District dispatch, less than 10 miles away!

Aircargo

Premium Subscriber
see...i dont understand the pl or dpl thing. do i need to program it on scanner....didnt really look into it...can u explain a bit?

looks like it makes a difference....

PL OR PRIVATE LINE OR OTHER NAMES USED SUCH AS CHANNEL GUARD ALLOWS VARIOUS USERS TO BE THE SAME FREQ W/O INTERFERING W/EACH OTHER. IF YOU PROGRAM YOUR SCANNER W/A PL FOR A FREQ YOU GENERALLY WILL ONLY HEAR THAT FREQ/PL COMBINATION. FOR THE MOST PART THAT WOULD TAKE SOME OF THE FUN OUT OF HEARING "SKIP". AS A RULE, I DO NOT ENTER PLs EXCEPT FOR THOSE FREQS THAT OVER THE YEARS I HAVE LEARNED CAN BE CONSTANTLY TIED UP W/UNITELLIGIBLE (IS THAT A WORD?) STUFF OR GET FORGIEN TRAFFIC THAT IS NON-PUBLIC SAFETY.

DJ88

Aircargo

I will try to make this simple and easy to understand, without getting real technical. A PL or DPL tone is a sub audible tone that is basically "built in" to a frequency that an agency is using. Sub audible meaning we can't hear it on our scanners. When someone from that agency transmits on that frequency the tone assigned to that frequency is activated. Just about all frequencies have PL or DPL tones.

Many towns are assigned the same frequencies by the FCC. If you don't have the PL or DPL tone programmed into your scanner for a frequency for a town you want to listen to, you will hear all towns on that frequency that are within receiving range of your scanner. By programming the PL or DPL tone in, you will only hear the town you want to listen to.

I always use the example of Wall Township Fire and EMS, 154.400. New York City Citywide Fire is on the same frequency, and it is a strong signal. Witihout Wall's PL programmed in, I would constantly pick up NYC Citywide Fire, which is almost non stop and very annoying. But with the PL for Wall, 151.4, programmed in, all I hear is Wall.

If you read the manual for your scanner it tells you how to program these tones. In the manual it will say CTCSS and DCS tones. CTCSS is the same as PL, and DCS is the same as DPL. If you don't know what the PL or DPL tone you want for a frequency is, check the Radioreference Database. If you can't find the tone listed, your BC250D can search for the correct one. Again, it tells you in the manual how to do this. BTW, I have the BC785D, the base model of the 250D.

Hope you understand a little better. If you're confused or have any questions, just post and I or someone else will try to help you.

DJ88

Aircargo

For a more technical explanation of PL Tones go to google.com and enter Sub Audible Tones in the empty space and click "search" Then scroll up to the subjects "Glossary>CTCSS" and "CTCSS Explanation" As I said before PL and CTCSS are the same thing.

Aircargo

Premium Subscriber
im gonna try today...ill let you know...i understand it a little....hasnt been a year yet for me on scanner...but getting there.....

TonyS

These guys have all explained it very well. One thing that must be stressed is that the more stronger signal will usually override the weaker one. But, this doesn't mean the stronger one only gets through. Both signals may be heard but the stronger one you may be able to hear better/more clearly. This pertains to PL and DPL coding as well, but just remember you don't actually "hear" PL or DPL, but your receiver does.

nydxa

Seaside received in Bergen County

Lots of good info being exchanged. I'd like to share this suggestion. I live in Bergen County and I enjoy trying to receive PD's out of the local area. I have Seaside programmed in to my Motorola Maxtrac with theit PL. This prevents Jersey City from opening the squelch. Especially during the summer months, Seaside can be heard - often quite strong. This is especially possible when we have coastal ducting as tropical storms work their way up the coast. On UHF it's more difficult but on VHF it's very common. Most night I can copy Wildwood PD from Bergen county, about 135 air miles. Granted, I'm using a 9db gain antenna at 40 ft with a commercial radio so the setup is not your average equipment, but it is possible. A good indication as to how open the band can be determined by monitoring the NOAA weather channels and USCG 156.8, 157.05, and 157.1 The other night I copied weak signals from USCG in MD and NC.

Aircargo

Premium Subscriber
really...wildwood...interesting... i enjoy myself monitoring out of the area PD'S.

BUT IM CURIOUS...I WANT A not so average antenna....can u point me at the right direction...i do use roof mount but its so so($25)..big deal...id feel better if i spent a bit more.

anyway..it is jersey city..lol. what about a antenna booster.? id rather get something like u got...show me pic..or something similar...the furthest i can monitor i think is 287 and turnpike i think....in trunk mode..i can BARLEY receive troop c...can but barely.

txs

nydxa

The Diamond 550 is what I use. It's one of the best dual band antennas. Stands about 21 ft tall and sells for ~$200. I'd nix the idea of a preamp (booster) it it only creates intermod. Besides, you can't amplify what your antenna can't capture. The gain in this antenna is created in part by the large capture area. The antenna is fed with low loss cable such as 9913 or LMR-400. Don't even think about using Uniden Radios with such an antenna - in this area you would have more intermod than signal. That's why I use commercial radios for the weak signals.

nydxa

Either the Diamond 500 or 550 - whichever is the dual band. Try KJI Electronics in N Caldwell. www.kjielectronics.com

Get the Diamond - not the Comet. Some dealers say they are the same, but I've used both. Gene at KJI was the one who steered me to the Diamond and I'm very happy with it. It's been up for four years.

Aircargo

Premium Subscriber
$200 huh...id spend it but you said cant use on reg. scanner (digital)....oh well...whats the good news...hehehe

txs 4 replys all....gotta love this site. by the way...on my site i put this "bergen scanner page" there...pretty good info. i you never visted b4...txs again all.

ka2mek

nydxa said:
I'd nix the idea of a preamp (booster) it it only creates intermod. Besides, you can't amplify what your antenna can't capture. The gain in this antenna is created in part by the large capture area.
Absolutly,I would also nix the idea,unless you really are on a fringe area situation and wont have local signal overload from intermod.Anyhow Here is a great link that explains the CAPTURE AREA of an antenna.
I design and build most of my own antennas and this site was a great tool to use.FYI enjoy...

http://www.sommerantennas.com/gain.html

I have now several scanner and HAM radio antennas up and tuned and operating.I dont use the preamp to boost signals 24/7 , only when trying to focus on a particular weak onethen it really displays its true amplification characteristics.Hope this helps.
Robert-KA2MEK

Status
Not open for further replies.