Season 24 of COPS

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gezelle007

Premium Subscriber
Well, the TV show Cops has started a new season, Season 24. And they just keep getting worse and worse... the 90's episodes were the best, when you actually got to see Cop work.

Dude111

Yea. Everything gets worse and worse!!

Law and order is starting to suck also.... I watch SVU mostly and this latest season they are becoming TOO VIOLENT to me!! (Like realtime cops)

ff-medic

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
The Appalachians - Next to the tent and campfire.
When it came out and was relatively new, it was interesting, and opened an eye to the public for Law Enforcement work. Like the 80's night soaps.."Dallas" and others, it became a must watch show.

I am pretty good at picking up on acting. I guess it is just one of my traits, and comminication methods that I picked up while in the Military. Does a sentence, or phrase just roll out of someones mouth; and is it true and sincere....did they actually mean what they said? Or was it a hesitated action, acted out, and was they looking somewhere else when they said it? Was it scripted? Do they fidget?

I believe that in some episodes, some officers would not have acted the way they did if the cameras were not rolling. Some Public Safety folks act and carry themselves different when a camera is near, such as an auto accident, local emergency. Being on camera ( pictures and video ) sometimes, make people act in a manner not consistant with their normal personality and demeanor.

I sometimes wonder, in the larger departments, how the officer(s) got selected or picked to take the "COPS" camera crew along. Some of the early "Real Stories of the Highway Patrol" episodes, were the same way.

"COPS" is a good show. It shows alot of public safety work. The editors need to do more work in my opinion. I believe seasoned and experienced officers,who deal with day to say situations with provide consistancys with their decisions need to be the only ones on the show.

Drawing a weapon needlessly, adding to the drama, running red lights at an estimated 40 to 50 MPH, Talking on the radio and needlessly congesting radio traffic...Is not believable in the performance of a Law Enforcement official.

FF - Medic !!!

Gezelle007

Premium Subscriber
...I believe that in some episodes, some officers would not have acted the way they did if the cameras were not rolling. Some Public Safety folks act and carry themselves different when a camera is near, such as an auto accident, local emergency. Being on camera ( pictures and video ) sometimes, make people act in a manner not consistant with their normal personality and demeanor....

...Drawing a weapon needlessly, adding to the drama, running red lights at an estimated 40 to 50 MPH, Talking on the radio and needlessly congesting radio traffic...Is not believable in the performance of a Law Enforcement official.
That's almost exactly what I mean. There was one episode I saw, where officers were in pursuit of a stolen vehicle, and several times, one car would get in front of the one with the camera crew, and the Cop would get them to move back to the number 2 position so the camera could see.. and then he continued to call it over the air. If the cameras weren't there, I don't think he would have given himself that many things to do.

There were a few episodes where the Cops were acting like complete robots... That is not real life. That is the act. You could definitely tell they were acting that way because they were going to be on National television.

ff-medic

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
The Appalachians - Next to the tent and campfire.
Yea. Everything gets worse and worse!!

Law and order is starting to suck also.... I watch SVU mostly and this latest season they are becoming TOO VIOLENT to me!! (Like realtime cops)

Since Judge Mills Lane, Law& Order, and LA Law ,is where I got most my legal training. :)

Let the shirt grabbing, slapping, knock down and drag out fights begin. :)

FF - Medic !!!

newsphotog

Premium Subscriber
It's getting to be that it's edited more for entertainment value and not for documentary purposes. I agree, the Cops episodes from the '90's are the best.

I believe that in some episodes, some officers would not have acted the way they did if the cameras were not rolling. Some Public Safety folks act and carry themselves different when a camera is near, such as an auto accident, local emergency. Being on camera ( pictures and video ) sometimes, make people act in a manner not consistant with their normal personality and demeanor.
Yes. When they were filming in Des Moines a few years back, they raided an oriental restaurant with the Cops crew in tow. It was later found that the officers used excessive force in the raid and the internal investigation concluded that they were influenced simply by the presence of the film crew. They were out to impress. I wish I could find that article now, but it's no longer accessible... must have been several years back.

A lot of the officers on the show seem extra preachy when they're on camera too. That's really annoying. Many times I feel embarrassed for the officer for trying so obviously to look like a hardass.

Gezelle007

Premium Subscriber
Wow... I think I might have started this thread too soon.. because tonight's episode was exactly the kind of COPS that I really enjoy... the real life, no BS investigation type episodes.... congrats to Boynton Beach PD on that case...

Status
Not open for further replies.