Seattle Area WA State Patrol Phase 2 Trunking System - Some Verification Needed Please

Status
Not open for further replies.

nessnet

Premium Subscriber
First, exactly what DO you hear on your 436/536 (which systems)?

WSP is a mixed bag here (I live close to King/Sno line also, but down by the lake) - and take note that what system they are using seems to change periodically lately. (I'd monitor all 3 below)

Currently (here), it seems that WSP 700 has the most local traffic (D2), but JWIN also has traffic (I'm getting primarily Gold Mt, so it is the districts to the south I'm hearing). I recommend using ID search, because there are a lot of TGs being used that are not in RR.

A month or so ago, WSP conventional had traffic, but have not checked lately.

JWIN: Justice Integrated Wireless Network Trunking System, Various, Multi-State - Scanner Frequencies
WSP 700: WA State Patrol Trunking System, Various, Washington - Scanner Frequencies
Conventional: Washington - WA State Patrol Scanner Frequencies and Radio Frequency Reference

Last edited:

gmclam

Premium Subscriber
I agree with monitoring via all 3 methods. And the site you can best receive from is not always ituative (aka the closest).

nessnet

Premium Subscriber
I agree with monitoring via all 3 methods. And the site you can best receive from is not always ituative (aka the closest).

Exactly:
Look at a map and see how far the N end of Lake WA (Kenmore) is from Gold Mt. (the JWIN site I mostly hear here.) Many JWIN sites much closer... But, the lake seems to act like an RF 'duct' - and I suppose line of sight. This is not using an outside antenna - a NMO150B on a small ground plane inside a building.

3:56PM: I just started getting JWIN D7 traffic on Gunnysack.

Last edited:

roaddog328

First and foremost, thank you all for your responses. Nessnet, to answer your first question, my 436/536 radios seem to be receiving traffic on WSP conventional, mostly dispatch (155.655 most recently on my 436). This is consistent with my review of the BCD Sentinel software database files that reflect conventional (traditional) WSP frequencies and no others. My 536 receives more frequencies (all conventional too) at my home location (due to a superior radio, superior antenna, or both I assume). I have loaded all three systems Nessnet identified into my 996, but am still not receiving anything. I'm sorry if this is an ignorant question, but is it possible that I may be loading one or more of the three system frequency sets correctly, but miscoding the systems? I have not been altering the default system coding in the RR files, assuming those are correct. Also, is it possible that I'm being too limited in the JWIN sites I have selected (they include Gold Mountain and Gunnysack, 5 Mile Hill, King Lake, Marysville and others). Are there other likely sites I should be selecting based on my Edmonds home location? Thanks again for all your help.

nessnet

Premium Subscriber
First, it is hit and miss lately - never sure where I'll hear WSP traffic, so monitor all 3.

I assume you are using Sentinel to load? (I don't know how you are loading JWIN and WSP 700, so I don't know if what you are doing is correct). The info in RR is correct, so if your radio(s) match what is in RR, then good there.

However, especially on JWIN, use ID Search. Currently there is alot of activity on TGs that are not in RR (ex: 64884 was D1 Oly dispatch yesterday PM).

In Edmonds, the closest site to you would be Gunnysack (on 99/~156th in Lynnwood). King Lake is past Monroe (a bit far from Edmonds), 5 Mile is over in Spokane,(delete/avoid), Gold you may get if looking south down the sound (maybe...), not sure if Marysville JWIN is up at D7 HQ (27th Ave NE and 116th St NE or...?). Here (Kenmore) for JWIN I monitor Cougar, Gold, Gunnysack and sometimes Marysville.

roaddog328

Thank you, Nessnet. I am using FreeScan, not because it is better but because that's what I'm familiar with and I'm trying to limit variables. But, I can try learning Sentinel; I don't mind the reasonable acquisition expense and will consider it an investment.

I will take your advice and use ID Search on JWIN to see if that helps.

Finally, thank you for the advice on sites. I looked unsuccessfully on RR and the internet for a statewide map and couldn't find one. I will modify my file to reflect your information.

nessnet

Premium Subscriber
1. Sentinel is free.

2. Note that in RR, many times the GPS coordinates given for a site/system is not the actual location. It may be the center of the state/county/city and not the actual site. I have taken considerable time going through RR, FCC licenses and other sources to accurately map out all local WSP (and KCERS) sites in Google Earth, so if you need info, I probably have it.

3. King Lake - even if it is Monroe, you may want to include it. If I get up higher, I will see it, so depending on your line of site east where you are....

Last edited:

AJAT

Premium Subscriber
I live up in Snohomish a few miles from I-5. I pick up D7 on conventional frequencies here on a 396 and 996 with lots of traffic. I do commute into King County. I have a HP1 in my vehicle. It is pretty much silent on my my commute. Obviously it won’t pick up the 700 phase II. Sometimes it will pick up the justice system, I believe it is the Gunnysack Hill system, but it is hit and miss. Some day I will upgrade to a phase II scanner.

roaddog328

Thank you for the additional information. I will go back to work, including exploring Sentinel as perhaps a more effective software component for loading the three sets of WSP system frequencies.

Status
Not open for further replies.