Seattle welfare recipient lives in million-dollar home

Status
Not open for further replies.

bravo14

Premium Subscriber
A Seattle woman who is receiving welfare assistance from Washington state also happens to live in a waterfront house on Lake Washington worth more than a million dollars.

Federal agents raided the home this weekend but have not released the woman or her husband's name because they have not officially been charged with a crime.

However, federal documents obtained by KING 5 News show the couple currently receives more than $1,200 a month in public housing vouchers, plus state and government disability checks and food stamps. They have been receiving the benefits since 2003.

The 2,500 square-foot home, which includes gardens and a boat dock, is valued at $1.2 million. And even though the couple has been receiving the benefits for nearly 10 years, records show that they accurately listed the address of their current home when applying for the state and federal benefits.

A federal official told KING 5 that the couple likely took advantage of a loophole, which allows low-income individuals to receive financial assistance to help them pay their rent and move away from housing projects. However, the law does not require officials to verify what type of home the benefits recipient is living in.

As if the million dollar home weren't enough, the supposedly low-income couple also gave money to various charities and traveled around the world to locales in Turkey, Tel Aviv and resort towns in Mexico, according to court records.

from yahoo news

Seattle welfare recipient lives in million-dollar home | The Sideshow - Yahoo! News

datainmotion

Premium Subscriber
I think this story (like so many others these days) is missing some pretty pertinent facts, necessary to draw any real conclusions. The only dollar amount mentioned is $1200 / month which ain't paying the mortgage on a $1M home. I think I'll wait to see what facts emerge about this...

rescue161

KE4FHH
Database Admin
I think this story (like so many others these days) is missing some pretty pertinent facts, necessary to draw any real conclusions. The only dollar amount mentioned is $1200 / month which ain't paying the mortgage on a $1M home. I think I'll wait to see what facts emerge about this...
You have to watch the video on the link provided. Federal agents suspect that her husband, who is a chiropractor, posed as a landlord renting her the house when she applied for benefits.

She is/was receiving:

1) $1272.00 a month for housing assistance
2) Federal and State payments for a disability
3) Monthly allotment of food stamps

Records indicate that the couple contribute to charities, her husband drives a Jaguar, and they both travel around the World to exotic places all while using our tax dollars.

She used a housing vouture program that is designed to help low-income people to move out of housing projects. Obviously she wasn't living in the "projects" when she applied. She lied and she's been lying since 2003.

True, $1272.00 plus the other benefits that she received did not come close to paying the mortgage, but she used tax dollars that you and I paid for to supplement her lifestyle. If the government didn't make it so easy to cheat, then there would be a lot less cheating.

datainmotion

Premium Subscriber
My bad - I tend to skip the videos.

And of course, we all realize, that as the law changes to close these "loopholes" it will create new loopholes to be exploited.

Status
Not open for further replies.