Second Airspy failure

Status
Not open for further replies.

dlwtrunked

Premium Subscriber
I own three Airspies. Two AirSpy One's from 2014 and newer AirSpy Mini. One of the AirSpy One's died when the micro USB connector separated from the PCB. It's probably repairable. It sits in a drawer. The mini died recently - I believe to static ...

Connectors for any thing have always been a weak point--whether USB of any sort, cigarette lighter plug, etc. I have come to strongly believe the only good connectors screw on to the mating connector but most things go with some other cheaper standard.

Unitrunker2

What's stopping them from continuing to develop from the last "open" source?
Youssef always owned the copyright to sdrsharp. The source code was made available under a "you can look but not touch" license. You could (and still can) write plug-ins. Someone on reddit forked the code, slapped a GPL license on it, and dared Youssef to sue. Youssef stopped making source updates public after that. The anonymous reddit persona was thoroughly roasted on reddit to the point of deleting their account. When someone defends their copyright, it's easy to paint them as the bad guy.

That drama is now long since ancient history.

I am grateful that Youssef made the source available. Even though I could not use the code directly, it was useful to my understanding of how SDR works. I'm not the only person on this forum that has learned from his work.

Status
Not open for further replies.