Secret Service

Status
Not open for further replies.

fyrboy

Programmed all the SS frequencies I found on RR, but didn't hear a peep when the President arrived in Asheville. At one point I was within 50' of an agent who was transmitting. Is it all encrypted, or have the frequencies changed?

pro106import

Premium Subscriber
Milford, Ct. perched high above Long Island Sound
Programmed all the SS frequencies I found on RR, but didn't hear a peep when the President arrived in Asheville. At one point I was within 50' of an agent who was transmitting. Is it all encrypted, or have the frequencies changed?

When he was in NYC last week I did the same thing. Programmed every freq on that list as well as the list on MT's Federal blog. I only heard one active freq. in the 170 range. It was NYC Field Office P25 in the clear. For 2 days of monitoring. The day before a visit there always used to be lots of activity on the frequencies due to them arriving in advance.
Looks like they are using something else now. At least in the past you heard activity, but it was 95% encrypted.
Bob

Lynch_Christopher

Database Admin
That's interesting that their hasn't been that much activity on the SS frequencies. I wonder if they have gone over to using nextels which would be kind of surprising since it seems like they just bought brand new radios.

jthorpe

You won't hear them. It's by design...

signal500

K4DPS
Premium Subscriber

The USSS does have newer frequencies they are using other than the ones listed on RR.
They are still on VHF P25 Simplex AES encrypted. Presidents detail is now on 167.0125 and 167.0375. There are other frequencies, the best thing to do is search from 163-174 MHz and 406-420 MHz.

KE4ZNR

Radio Geek
Premium Subscriber
And of course, as I have pointed out before: you usually can have a great idea of where the motorcade is by monitoring the local public safety comms.
SHP & other local authorities can't hide as easy as the Feds so you always want to keep an ear out on local public safety comms.
Happy Monitoring
Marshall KE4ZNR

trumpetman

Database Admin
Well I don't know about you folks, but I didn't have much trouble knowing where the motorcade. I find it somewhat interesting that they coordinated on a statewide events channel so everyone and their brother could here about it. Yes, this is what the events channels are used for, so everyone can be on the same page, but I would think there would be other local channels that could be utilized. I do know SHP was relying on low band just about as much as VIPER as well.

ecps92

Try different Antenna's, it's helped me in the past, especially with any location with RF Overload. Think about how many radios and radio systems are in-use for any VIP motorcade and the amount of RF, including Cellular and PCS :wink:

SCPD

QRT
Not to hijack this thread,

Mod Edit: You did hijack this thread. This is not the political forum.
Take it to the political forum in the tavern.
Marshall KE4ZNR

Last edited by a moderator:

jaymatt1978

That's the most impressive post I have read in quite awhile. "When Obama was in Bergen County, I posted and put in the federal frequencies in my scanner and not a peep. I think mainly because I was miles away from the action, but I had a friend right there and he said all of the federal frequencies were encrypted. The Secret Service doesn't need to change frequencies because they have encryption.
Also yes the coordinate on statewide frequencies during major events, but that only a common courtesy bto the locals. If y ou listen closely and even if you knew the area like the back of your hand you couldn't get Obama's percise location. Despite what people say the Secret Sevice DOES have the National Police Channel 155.4750 and the VTACS to coordinate with the locals, however d o-n't expect any juicy stuff on there. Remember THEY KNOW PEOPLE LISTEN!

Well I don't know about you folks, but I didn't have much trouble knowing where the motorcade. I find it somewhat interesting that they coordinated on a statewide events channel so everyone and their brother could here about it. Yes, this is what the events channels are used for, so everyone can be on the same page, but I would think there would be other local channels that could be utilized. I do know SHP was relying on low band just about as much as VIPER as well.

KE4ZNR

Radio Geek
Premium Subscriber
I am going to leave this thread open
for now but I warn everyone to keep
it on topic and do NOT drift into political
B.S. or it will be locked.
Thanks
Marshall KE4ZNR

wcu02mpa

I was able to scan in the 165 to 173 range while the black helicopter was in the air on saturday. Unfortunately i didn't have my pro-2096 with me; only my Pro-2051 will fit in my console. I was driving and wasn't able to get the exact freq's but I got plenty of digital action between 170 and 173. I have three black larsen's on my vehicle and an HF whip.....I got plenty of stares and glares on Saturday.

Hooligan

I was able to scan in the 165 to 173 range while the black helicopter was in the air on saturday. I was driving and wasn't able to get the exact freq's but I got plenty of digital action between 170 and 173. .

Were the black helicopters following you?

Just out of curiosity, why were you only searching 165-173, instead of approx. 162-174MHz?

Squad10

BS.

But sometimes what DOES happen is the "agent" someone sees is actually an HMX-1 Advance/Lead & the radio he/she is talking into is a handheld using FHSS in the 30-88MHz spectrum.

Are you referring to SINCGARS?

Hooligan

Are you referring to SINCGARS?

Yep. Usually the HMX-1 Advance person(s) stand-out not only because *if* they're using the SINCGARS handheld (I've also seen/heard them using 375.0MHz & one of the VHF WHMO channels), the antenna is clearly not VHF-High or UHF, and also despite the HMX-1 LZ Advance being in a suit like everyone else, they'll have a pretty crisp Marine haircut.

C138NC

Tactical Taco Consumer
Not to go off topic but i have a family member in the US Army and he told me when i asked what comm system they used, he said SINCGARS, true?

wcu02mpa

Hmmmm.....OK

"Were the black helicopters following you?"
"Just out of curiosity, why were you only searching 165-173, instead of approx. 162-174MHz? "

helicopter was just hovering.......and WX channels stop at 162.550..I just let the search go until I noticed the action between 170-173.

Status
Not open for further replies.