• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

SecretLabs Magnus XL Desk

N9JIG

Sheriff
OK guys here I go again...

I am considering getting a SecretLabs Magnus Pro desk (See Secretlab MAGNUS Pro | Secretlab US).

On this desk I plan on using 3 27in monitors, a MacBook Pro, an Intel NUC, 2 sets of speakers, my Icom R8600, IC-7300 and IC-705 as well as my 12v PS and a dual-bander mobile. (The scanners will be on a separate table as seen on my photos in the link below). Pretty much everything you see on my desk at N9JIG rearranges and clears off the desk would be on this desk.

I like the Magnus Pro XL desk as it is 70 by 31 inches in size, has a full-length cable trough that should allow me to stash the power bricks etc. in and has excellent cable management.

What I would like to know is if anyone has used one of these or has any suggested alternatives. I like the idea of being able to stash the power bricks, on my current desk they are velcroed to the underside of the desk, a rather inelegant solution.

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
Old office furniture.

I've got a desk in my office that looks very much like that. I know they get tossed out all the time. Probably checking around with the locals might turn something up.

N9JIG

Sheriff
I specifically need the cable management features, the ability to stash the several power bricks unseen is the prime feature I need and I have never seen that on a desk before. I am hoping to see if anyone else has used this particular desk or one that has a similar feature.

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
I don't know what brand modular furniture mine is, but it has a wire trough in the back, plus up and down each vertical. Mount a power strip to the modesty shield under it, facing the wall, and it might do what you want. I've got a couple of monitors on mine, a couple of radios, and a couple of phones.

That product does look nice, however.

N9JIG

Sheriff
The more I look at it the more I like it. I got approval from the CFO (aka Wife) to get it after I get back from Dayton. I have been watching some of the video reviews and it seems to be a pretty sweet setup.

I have used modesty shields for hiding wires before but I like that once set up pretty much everything can be done from the front/top with the hinges cover for the wire tray. I will be using 3 monitors and will get the 2-monitor arm and 1-monitor arm to support them.

It looks like the tray will hold the several large power bricks for my set up (NUC, TS4 Dock, R8600 and IC-705) as well as a large power strip, since I will need at least 13 outlets (the aforementioned 4 power bricks, 3 monitors, 2 sets of speakers, the large PS for the 7300 and a couple other accessories). I will look for a large capacity power strip with a short cord since there is an outlet in the tray.

I really like the magnetic cable trays, I will likely get a couple sets since I will have 5 antenna cables, 2 Ethernet cables and a USB cable coming up the leg. I would likely run the antenna cables up one side and the computer cables the other.

N9JIG

Sheriff
The desk arrived this week and this weekend we got it set up. It is everything I hoped for! The wire management trough is beg enough for all my stuff but I will need to rearrange some of them due to them all seeming to congregate on one side. I also need to look at a different outlet strip as the ones I have don't work properly. One only allows the wall-warts to work off the sides but then blocks the other outlets. I might have to use a couple outlet extenders.

I am also waiting on a new cabinet that should arrive next week so pics will be posted as soon as that is done.

sdu219

Premium Subscriber
Harbor freight sells a 4 or 5 foot power strip that i have on my wall at my work bench in cellar. It has 12 outlets on it.

Firebuff880

I have found these cord splitters very useful.

They also have short power cords (1Ft and above) which can make an install much easier and cleaner --