Sector Virginia in Cape May,NJ

Status
Not open for further replies.

ecps92

hill

Premium Subscriber
Sectors can't use sites from other sectors. They only have the sites that cover their sector Area of Responsibility. Please see the link below for Sector Virginia's AOR Rescue 21 sites below. During ducting events it is easy for them to be able to received in other areas with the sites being very high. I am unsure of the tower heights in Sector Virginia, but our sites range from 200' to 600' here in Sector Maryland NCR.

hill

Premium Subscriber
Forgot to add a few sites are shared between two different sectors when they are located near sector boundaries

ecps92

It was explained to me, during a tour, that each Sector can select, not just a neighboring RFF Site, but could also take over for another sector.
I seem to also recall that from some of the original Rescue 21 publications and power points.

Sectors can't use sites from other sectors. They only have the sites that cover their sector Area of Responsibility. Please see the link below for Sector Virginia's AOR Rescue 21 sites below. During ducting events it is easy for them to be able to received in other areas with the sites being very high. I am unsure of the tower heights in Sector Virginia, but our sites range from 200' to 600' here in Sector Maryland NCR.

jaymatt1978

I understand and appreciate what you're saying Bill but I was also getting five of six weather channels and a couple of other distant stations last nigjt!! So this was coming for a site further away than I'm used to receiving
All depends on which site they selected
5th District has over 29 sites to select and one is right across the water in Dag

Plus, looking at the APRS maps, VHF [here in New England ] is wide open

mshumeyk

Premium Subscriber
Y
I understand and appreciate what you're saying Bill but I was also getting five of six weather channels and a couple of other distant stations last nigjt!! So this was coming for a site further away than I'm used to receiving
I too use the NOAA stations as a way of checking for ducting. The NJ shore is a great location for distant catches. On more than one summer when relaxing on the Cape May beach in late afternoon I would start receiving the NYC Triboro Bridge and Tunnel Authority PD on the Cape May Beach Patrol frequency 453.55 on my handheld telling me it was going to be a great evening for propagation.

jaymatt1978

Yes although I need to say I've have had a JTD2 Antenna in my attic since October which has opened an entirely different world for me I get some pretty decent stuff like Medcom out on Long Island from time to time and have gotten into Virginia!
Y

I too use the NOAA stations as a way of checking for ducting. The NJ shore is a great location for distant catches. On more than one summer when relaxing on the Cape May beach in late afternoon I would start receiving the NYC Triboro Bridge and Tunnel Authority PD on the Cape May Beach Patrol frequency 453.55 on my handheld telling me it was going to be a great evening for propagation.

asnhnetwork

Y

Sometimes they cant be heard in Manhattan. That is an amazing catch. I can just picture sitting on the Beach and hearing Battery Garage.

Status
Not open for further replies.