Security measure

Status
Not open for further replies.

firebus29

When correcting the "Barecat" spelling issue, I had what I think is a great idea (yes...I still have the occasional one). I dropped down a line and overwrote the nomenclature with my social security number on one line, my drivers license number on the next and my phone number on the next. I figure that the average thief would not have access to Sentinel software, making it difficult for him to erase and easy for the police to identify me as the rightful owner. What do you think.

fxdscon

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Premium Subscriber
When correcting the "Barecat" spelling issue, I had what I think is a great idea (yes...I still have the occasional one). I dropped down a line and overwrote the nomenclature with my social security number on one line, my drivers license number on the next and my phone number on the next. I figure that the average thief would not have access to Sentinel software, making it difficult for him to erase and easy for the police to identify me as the rightful owner. What do you think.

I think that's a GREAT idea!! ........... If I were a thief.

Do you think it would be a good idea to give a thief all of your personal information he would need to open up a few credit cards and take out a mortgage in your name?

UPMan

In Memoriam
Premium Subscriber
Phone number + reward if found = good idea.
Social Security Number = very bad idea.

AZScanner

Somewhere in this room. Right now, you're very col
Phone number + reward if found = good idea.
Social Security Number = very bad idea.

This (bolded above) is what I have on my BC436HP. Also, Sentinel is a free download so if a thief steals your radio it won't take them long to figure that out and change your "security measure" pretty easily.

Too bad we can't set up a PIN on these things. It would make life a little more difficult for someone to steal and reprogram a radio without one. <---another feature idea for you to ponder Paul. ;)

Last but not least, the best prevention is diligence with where you keep your radio and how well you secure it when not in use. I treat mine like I would a gun - it's always in my sight, on my person OR locked up in something that requires a key to open, such as my desk drawer at work or my glove compartment in the car. After all, it's not like I can just pull another $500 outta my butt for a new one.

-AZ

Essexscan

In the State of NJ Your DL can de decoded to tell your Age/Sex/DOB/ eye color and if you have a middle name just from the number itself and your actual name if you have the decode book. so giving your DL is a NO-NO and Esp your SS number.

wtp

my $.02

name and phone number is best.
another way would be to have a system with your name that is locked out so when found you can prove to the cops it is yours. remember to record the serial number. that is what the cops use to see if it is stolen.

brucewarming

I have changed mine to "Name" + "Phone Number" AH but to someone finding the BCD436HP good luck starting it up, then the first screen disappears so fast that more than likely it will never be seen.

ofd8001

Premium Subscriber
Ben Franklin said: "An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure."

Putting identifiers on something if it is stolen is a cure. Securing or otherwise safeguarding the scanner is prevention.

Having said that, recording the serial number on the receipt is best. Then if the bad thing happens, you have it documented. Settings>See Scanner Information>Firmware Version - the SN is on the third line.

Another option is to create a Favorites List. For a System Name place something like "Proprty of John Doe". For one Department Name put your phone number and for another Department Name, put "Reward if found". This should be seen regularly on the scanner when it is turned on.

OregonScanner

Premium Subscriber
What my radio displays on startup:

Property of:
My Name
Cell Phone Number
REWARD GIVEN IF RETURNED

I made sure to make the phone number my cell phone number that way if someone actually does call, I can see the number and give it to the police if necessary. Additionally, if your radio is stolen, report it because its not technically stolen until you file a police report. It can be very difficult to get your property back if its not officially reported first. Write your serial number down and keep it in a safe place and give it to the police so if the police find the radio and don't bother to turn it on they can run the serial number and return it to you if its found.

D

DaveNF2G

Stolen is stolen. Does Oregon have some weird law defining theft in some other way?

Back on topic: My HP-1Es are marked with my name, address, email, phone number, and ham and GMRS callsigns. Some of that info is there just because I had the space available, but it does indicate my ownership at least.

dmg1969

Horrible idea. Unless you like the idea of a potential thief stealing your identity. You need to re-think that.

Status
Not open for further replies.