Sedgwick County and Wichita scanning questions

Status
Not open for further replies.
I used to scan Sedgwick County and Wichita on a Radio Shack Pro-97 before they went digital. In October I purchased a BCD436HP and think I have it set up correctly but feel like I'm missing alot of traffic. I've created a favorites list to whittle down the talk groups I'm monitoring, eliminating all the analog channels. If I hold on a talkgroup, say EMS, it seems like I will start hearing a transmission after a few moments instead of when they key their mic. I've upgraded my antennae to a radio shack 800mhz antennae but really not noticing a difference. Any suggestions?

Also, can someone tell me what phase II will change for people listening via scanners? Thank you!

Ensnared

Premium Subscriber
Service Types

I used to scan Sedgwick County and Wichita on a Radio Shack Pro-97 before they went digital. In October I purchased a BCD436HP and think I have it set up correctly but feel like I'm missing alot of traffic. I've created a favorites list to whittle down the talk groups I'm monitoring, eliminating all the analog channels. If I hold on a talkgroup, say EMS, it seems like I will start hearing a transmission after a few moments instead of when they key their mic. I've upgraded my antennae to a radio shack 800mhz antennae but really not noticing a difference. Any suggestions?

Also, can someone tell me what phase II will change for people listening via scanners? Thank you!

On the 436HP, have you reviewed the "service types to see if they are checked?"

When I go into the scanner and "edit channel" I am given the option of editing sevice type, they all seem to be set appropriately to either law dispatch or emergency dispatch. Are talking about something else? Thanks for any help you can offer.

nec911

Wichita Sedgwick County is a simulcast system like Johnson and Shawnee County.

You might search through the Kansas Forums here for simulcast as it has been covered alot in the last 4 years.

I_am_Alpha1

This is what happens when scanning a simulcast system. There are 10 transmitters and the signal from each reaches your scanner a fraction of a second apart from one another confusing your scanner and causing it to not work like you want. Another issue is multipath where signals bounce off of stuff causing the same issue as simulcast. People have tried everything and nothing works consistently with these scanners (I do mean everything--new antennas, yagis, p25 settings, wearing tin foil hats, standing on one foot, everything).

There is a solution. Visit Mark at the Derby Radio Shack--you will be happy you did. He has a few Motorola XTS5000 radios that do not suffer multipath or simulcast issues. He's selling them like hotcakes because they actually work. I have a 436, 536, HP-1, and 396 and they all suck in comparison. I have two Motorola radios and love them--quite a few have bought two and one guy has three. What he has in stock is the last of them.

I_am_Alpha1

Don't worry about Phase II. We won't see it in Sedgwick County for several years. It's a different type of modulation that older scanners won't be capable of receiving.

shocker81

I picked up the last Motorola XTS5000 Mark had last night at 5:30 p.m.. It works great. There is no dropouts in communications. The Sedgwick County system works like a charm. My real test will be today when I am mobile with it on my route all over Wichita and Sedgwick County from Haysville to Valley Center and from East Wichita to Goddard.

kd0ega

Premium Subscriber
...Received my /\/\otorola XTS 5000 yesterday....ran some errands after work, just had the radio sitting in the cup holder in the center consul...WOW!!!....what a scanner!!!
Have it programmed for Topeka/Shawnee Co. P-25 Phase I multipath simulcast system. I have a 996T in the man cave that does not miss any thing...side by side comparison I would have to say that the Motorola might be just a touch better.

shocker81

Tax included it was $432.00. It is absolutely amazing. I listened to it in my car on my route from Haysville to East Wichita to Valley Center to Maize to Goddard and back to Haysville without any dropouts. It takes scanning back to the way it was before digital. It is programmed for Sedgwick County, Butler County, Harvey County, Reno County and Sumner County. It does not miss any conversations. This technology needs to be brought to the scanner world but if it is will anybody be able to afford it? I just don't know but it is a great radio.

Redneck0410

I know chances are slim he will get any more in, but if anyone else catches word he gets more in, drop a line. At 432 dollars I'm seriously tempted to snatch one up.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

fp5930

Wichita/Sedgwick County P25

I think the individual that was programming the XTS 5000 radios has moved out of State. You could check with Mark at Radio Shack-Derby as he may be working on another source.

dwillit0514

Premium Subscriber
PRO96

I have a pro 96 hand held scanner. I have program it for Wichita, I am currently not getting anything on the scanner. Is there any ideas what to do to make it work??

Redneck0410

Not to sound harsh, but unless the big three scanner manufacturers take a page from Motorola and manufacture a scanner that solves the multipath distortion problem (which I don't see happening anytime soon), your choices on listening to Sedgwick County consist of either: a) buy and program a Unication pager (which I have heard has had success in other areas), or b) find a used XTS3000 or like radio on Ebay and jump through the Motorola BS to get the right programming software; or c) hope and pray that Mark's connection that was mentioned earlier continues to acquire and program the aforementioned radios. RS scanners have a particularly sensitive front end that is easily overloaded when traffic from 10 towers hit it at the same time.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Fireattack484

Feed Provider
Also... I don't think the big three manufacturers need to take a lesson from Motorola, they need to take it from Unication. Obviously, Unication has figured out how to make it work without affiliation.

pallen444

Check out astro communications on facebook he program sedgwick county on a xts 3000 sounds great.

Status
Not open for further replies.