Sedgwick County/Freescan/Simulcast issues...

Status
Not open for further replies.

tipster67

I hope the title didn't scare anyone off. I have a BCD996P2 that I am trying to sell. Someone asked if I could program it. I used Freescan. I got an error saying that I didn't set an APCO Band Plan. It may not be a problem but, reception sucks! I have horrible Simulcast issues at home. So even if I am doing everything right, I may never know. All the programming looks correct. I have a file that a friend attempted to give me, also one I did myself. Both are having the same issues. I really don't know where to look or am I just hopeless living in this location... I'll follow whatever advice I get. Just need to get it programmed. Or, someone please buy it from me :) Please Help Me!

tipster67

You were the friend I referenced in the post... The error the APCO Band Plan keeps popping up when I upload. Also, I know there is a bad Simulcast issue in Wichita, but Damn, it shouldn't been that bad. Maybe the files are fine, I just can't pick up a damn thing on this uniden. I really want to sell it but, I don't want him to have the same issue and get pissy with me... If you know what I mean.

Redneck0410

Wichita has a terrible simulcast problem as a whole. I’ll look at what I have for Sedgwick County and see if I can figure out what’s going on.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

tipster67

I don't feel right selling it to him and then saying, oh yeah, we have a crappy Simulcast system here. I can email you the file you sent me. But just in case it's still on your PC, it's named, "tipster.996"

Redneck0410

After reviewing the file I sent to you, I determined there was nothing out of place. However, the "No APCO Band Plan" was a known bug in FreeScan 3 years ago, as referenced here: https://forums.radioreference.com/threads/bcd996p2-no-apco-bandplan-error.327890/ There's next to nothing you can do to remedy the simulcast situation that plagues Sedgwick County, short of buying either the SDS 100 or 200 or a Unication pager. What you can do is turn the P25 decode up. I tried that on mine some time ago and it helped somewhat, but it was nowhere near perfect. If nothing else, that scanner can still listen to KHP on the KSICS system. That scanner has potential, it's just a matter of utilizing it to its fullest potential. Let me know if I can be of assistance to you.

-Shawn

tipster67

I had an SDS 100 at my house recently. It was still crappy. Thank God I was able to test before making the purchase. I am just in a really bad spot out here on the west side. I can't believe everyone has this much of a problem, here in Wichita, with scanners anyway.

I_am_Alpha1

I used to live where you are...yes, the worst simulcast you can imagine. Motorola XTS5000 radios at the Derby Radio Shack are the only way to go--zero simulcast with them. I moved out of state over 2-years ago, hopefully there is still a supply of them--if not they are cheap right now on E-Bay (I see you have one already).

Sedgwick county uses a Cassidian P25 system...they are different from Motorola P25 systems and the band plan has to be set accordingly. I can't remember since it's been so long.

I've not had much luck using Freescan myself. I recommend Butel's software. There are no magic tricks to get around simulcast where you are.
ARC XT software for Uniden BCD996P2 BCD346XT BC346XTC BCD396XT BC346XT BCD996XT BCT15XT BCD325P2 BCD996 P25 models scanner free demo -- free to download and use in demo mode

Redneck0410

It's been an ongoing problem since Sedgwick County put in this new system... it seems as though they didn't do their due diligence in fully researching their options. They could've just as easily signed on with KSICS (who has a tower already in Wichita) and would've had just as good reception with one tower as they do with 10. The cheapest option ain't always the best option.

dgruver911

Things may improve...Cassidian (Airbus) got bought out by Motorola, and I heard Motorola is planning to replace all the Tait tower site equipment with Motorola equipment. So at that point it shouldn't be any different than the Butler or Harvey simulcast towers, just not on the State system.

Embalmer-Mortician

Premium Subscriber
Things may improve...Cassidian (Airbus) got bought out by Motorola, and I heard Motorola is planning to replace all the Tait tower site equipment with Motorola equipment. So at that point it shouldn't be any different than the Butler or Harvey simulcast towers, just not on the State system.
I wouldn't bank on it. If there are no complaints on the subscriber end it make no sense to spend that kind of money, especially if they know that it causes scanner listeners misery.

dgruver911

I wouldn't bank on it. If there are no complaints on the subscriber end it make no sense to spend that kind of money, especially if they know that it causes scanner listeners misery.

It's not going to cost the taxpayers anything, it's a company decision to swap out what they consider lesser equipment. The County could say no, but judging from the amount of trouble they have had with the system, I bet they say go ahead.

nec911

It's not going to cost the taxpayers anything, it's a company decision to swap out what they consider lesser equipment. The County could say no, but judging from the amount of trouble they have had with the system, I bet they say go ahead.
Don is correct.
Motorola has come in to a lot of systems and made the updates and changed out equipment as a preventative process.

I think they look at the benefit vs cost. The last thing they want is bad press or bad information coming out from someone who had/has problems with their system.

KSPILOT536

Premium Subscriber
I had an SDS 100 at my house recently. It was still crappy. Thank God I was able to test before making the purchase. I am just in a really bad spot out here on the west side. I can't believe everyone has this much of a problem, here in Wichita, with scanners anyway.
I live in Park City and have a uniden scanner and haven't really did any good since I bought the thing years ago.

BB81

It's been an ongoing problem since Sedgwick County put in this new system... it seems as though they didn't do their due diligence in fully researching their options. They could've just as easily signed on with KSICS (who has a tower already in Wichita) and would've had just as good reception with one tower as they do with 10. The cheapest option ain't always the best option.

Sorry for joining late.
This was not viable and still isn't. KSICS does have a tower on the north end of Wichita but the inbuilding coverage isn't great. We have to go outside to even register. Just because some scanners have issues does not mean the radio system and subscribers have issues.

I am sure you know now since this post is old, but that discussion was never had and will never be had. Motorola will not be replacing the radio system for free. Once in a great while there is a minor issue and it gets resolved quickly.

Status
Not open for further replies.