BCD396T/BC996T: Sedgwick County, Ks new Cassidian system

Status
Not open for further replies.

SamThomson

Is my BCD396T capable of receiving the new system? I have tried unsuccessfully to reprogram it.

W8RMH

Feed Provider Since 2012
According to the RR page for Sedgwick County (Project 25) Emergency Services Radio System Trunking System, Wichita, Kansas - Scanner Frequencies that system will utilize Phase II when completed.

(This digital radio system is currently being installed by Cassidian Communications, Inc. of Frisco, Texas, and will utilize their CORP25 infrastructure. When completed, this new Project 25 Phase II TRS, will replace the older Motorola Type-II trunking system currently in place).

Currently the only scanners which will decode Phase II are the PSR800 and the new Uniden BCD436HP and BCD536HP.

You should be able to listen if they are only using Phase I during the early stages.

I_am_Alpha1

Is my BCD396T capable of receiving the new system? I have tried unsuccessfully to reprogram it.

Yes it will. I have one in my car and it does receive the new system. HOWEVER, remember it is a simulcast system in which all ten towers broadcast at the same time and because they are all different distances from you, your scanner gets confused by the signal coming in milliseconds apart. Your mileage will vary based on numerous factors--distance from towers, towers down for maintenance, etc. You will NOT receive every transmission consistently regardless of what scanner you are using. There is NO scanner on the market that works consistently with a P25 Phase II system. I also have a HP-1, 436, and 536. My 436 and 536 are programmed the same and sit next to each other. Sometimes one works and the other one is dormant--then vise versa and for no reason. The HP-1 is worse than the 436 and 536--they seem to work the best.

I_am_Alpha1

That might be because the HP1 doesn't support phase 2?

Then it wouldn't work at all. The manual says apco p25--nothing about phase 1 or 2. The x36 software doesn't allow me to select phase 1 or 2. Radio Ref database shows the system in question is phase 1.

The issue people are having is with SIMULCAST and not phase 1 vs phase 2--at lease from what I've read. Uniden has been working on it and has released a beta firmware for the HP-1. Makes one wonder if it's a decode problem vs simulcast problem. Either way, would like it to be fixed soon.

Status
Not open for further replies.