See someone is brodcasting my feeds

Status
Not open for further replies.

NCIC105

Feed Provider
What are trying to say? Its not an exact duplicate of your feed so its allowed.

He has duplicated all channels I broadcast...The only difference is he broadcast EMS and fire which I do not broadcast..

My Feed
Anderson County Public Safety

His is
Anderson County Sheriff, Fire and EMS

95 % duplicated what I have..Just played with the name to get it through.

GordonE

Live Audio Administrator
Feed Provider
Ok
I'll add EMS and Fire to mine...Delete one channel so it is not 100% dup.

What a waste of bandwidth!
It's not a waste of bandwidth at all since, based on the feed descriptions, they're far from being duplicate feeds. It appears that your feed contains more than just Anderson County Public Safety communications, people that only want to hear Anderson County communications would select the new feed while people that want to listen to Anderson County and other area channels would select yours.

Right now, as I type this, both feeds have the same number of listeners which shows that some people prefer your feed while others prefer the newer one.

-- Gordon

mikewazowski

Forums Manager/Global DB Admin
Staff member
Forums Manager
I've found that you can duplicate a feed, add a few channels and your feed will be approved.

It might not be a waste of bandwidth but it's definitely a waste of resources on the feed providers end.

Why provide the feed if someone can duplicate what you already provide while adding little more? Your setup could be doing something else.

It would be better if the new feed only added new channels to augment what the current feed is providing.

richtidd

Database Admin
I've found that you can duplicate a feed, add a few channels and your feed will be approved.

It might not be a waste of bandwidth but it's definitely a waste of resources on the feed providers end.

Why provide the feed if someone can duplicate what you already provide while adding little more? Your setup could be doing something else.

It would be better if the new feed only added new channels to augment what the current feed is providing.

That is not how it works.

We do not allow duplicate feeds.

We go by exact same agencies etc.

This is to protect existing feed owners from having their feeds poached or duped by others.

While a new feed may be close, it cannot be exactly the same.

Not feeding the exact same combination of agencies, counties or part of counties etc.

We go by the combination of agencies and counties so if a feed has something on it that another feed has, that's OK as long as it has 1 less or 1 more agency than the other feed.

Note I said agency, not frequency of an agency.

Before we add a feed, we check to be sure its not an exact duplicate of an existing feed. We do the same before we allow an existing feed to add or subtract agencies.

We have many close but different feed combinations.

Like when we have an existing:
Home City Police and Fire feed and someone wanted to do a Home City Police feed.

We allow this as it is not an exact duplicate feed and we assume that there a different types of listeners out there where some will want to listen to both the Home City Police & Fire and some will only want to listed to listen to just the Home City Police.

We would not allow another Home City Police and Fire feed.

We either deleted the new duplicate application or we allow only the better feed of the two (considering audio quality, feed up time, etc). to exist.

richtidd

Database Admin
Ok
I'll add EMS and Fire to mine...Delete one channel so it is not 100% dup.

What a waste of bandwidth!

As Gordon notes, you have more on your feed than what the description says.

Also, I think your description is not correct as you have a Law feed.
Having Public Safety in your description implies other agencies like Fire, EMS that are not on your feed and cannot be added to your feed if that results in duplicating an existing feed.

Further, per your secondary description, your feed covers several counties vs the feed you are questioning covers only one county.

So each feed is different & not duplicates.

So as I see it, we should mod your description to better reflect your feed content (Law Enforcement) & add the listed counties to your feed county list.

NCIC105

Feed Provider
For a provider, it does seem wrong when you are the first provider in the community to offer up a feed. While I understand what you are saying about it being a little different. It makes one wonder why go to the effort when someone else can comes in and run the same area and hawks your listeners. It appears wrong in my book. I have more ethics than to do someone like that..But some don't.

richtidd

Database Admin
For a provider, it does seem wrong when you are the first provider in the community to offer up a feed. While I understand what you are saying about it being a little different. It makes one wonder why go to the effort when someone else can comes in and run the same area and hawks your listeners. It appears wrong in my book. I have more ethics than to do someone like that..But some don't.

It is not about ethics.

It is about not exactly duplicating existing feeds.

Different combination of feed agencies are OK.
Exact same feed agencies are not.

This protects all feed owners from having their feed duplicated.
Including you.

Notice I said "feed duplicated". Meaning the whole feed.

bnoland

Premium Subscriber
Sorry if I should place this some where else but I have seen a couple of these threads lately. Why do people got worked up over someone having a similar feed? If you weren't broadcasting it you would be listening to it anyway wouldn't you?

ffemt601

Lol, you act like you own the rights to the frequencies. If you don't like the rules the solution is easy ..... just delete your feed.

bnoland

Premium Subscriber
Apparently you missed the point...
They just recently started broadcasting the same frequencies and tags I am....

No, I see your point quite clearly. You have SOME of the same frequencies. You provide some they don't and they provide some you don't. I still don't understand why the big uproar over the same frequencies. Do you get paid by how many listeners are on your feed or something??

mdulrich

Feed Provider
bnoland
Apparently you missed the point...
They just recently started broadcasting the same frequencies and tags I am....

So you are feeding frequencies 1,2,3,4,5. Is the other person feeding 1,2,3,4,5 or is the other person feeding 1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9? If it is the later, it isn't the same feed even though there are duplicate frequencies on the two feeds.

Mike

NCIC105

Feed Provider
If we were in Chicago, L.A or any other large metro area it would not matter...This makes us compete from a small amount of listeners.....

Why would they try to dupe the areas......

Status
Not open for further replies.