• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Seeking advice for an XL-200

IFRIED91

Arrive alive
Premium Subscriber
I believe you'll need a pretty recent XLP firmware, prob R13 or better for the XL-ESM to work with the 200. I personally don't like how big and bulky it is. However, the standard Revo NC2 Harris mics SUCK! they have terrible noise cancellation, are not loud, the Hi-Lo side sliders are always breaking and they feel very cheap and plasticy. I know two agencies that have opted to stay with the classic square harris mics from the unity series cause of their durability and loudness, despite how horrible they look appearance-wise.

One local old ham trustee refuses to upgrade a popular VHF repeater cause its a Micor and "fanless" which his logic is there is less hardware to fail. Very logical... drives me insane!
Yeah those freaking silicone labels on the side are annoying!! What the heck type of adhesive did they use to adhere them to the metal chassis? Hair gel? Raccoon snot? 😂

IFRIED91

Arrive alive
Premium Subscriber
well as a young ham, the old heads in the hobby and their crusty old ways of refusing narrowband, PL tones, and digital modes will die off eventually, wideband is fun to mess around with but is not the solution to our spectrum issues; Rant over

I see no difference between the XL-150P and the XL-185P except that the 185 is intrinsically safe capable. Probably the same damn RF deck.

I love my XL-200, its a fantastic portable and has everything one could desire out of an all-band Phase 2 capable handheld, my only gripe is ****ty audio that doesn't get super loud like my APX.

I hope you told those guys to go piss off...what nerve tryna pawn that crap off on you...
Found out another difference with the 185 and 150… XL150s cannot do EDACS

K2NEC

I was programming a call list into my XL200 and I maxed out at 255, can I only have 255 aliases in the radio per call list?

MWW85

Premium Subscriber
I was programming a call list into my XL200 and I maxed out at 255, can I only have 255 aliases in the radio per call list?
XL-PL9G. When feature is enabled, users can write all 3000 configured aliases to the radio without incident. When feature is not enabled, users will only be able to use the I-Call list of 255 entries maximum

List price $275.

wa8pyr

Technischer Guru
Staff member
Lead Database Admin

According to the help file in RPM2, you can have up to 3000 entries in a User ID list with an XL radio.

I can't speak to the accuracy of this; I have agencies with hundreds of radios and since importing doesn't always work quite right (it can be fussy), and I don't feel like manually typing in all those Unit IDs and Alias Names, I don't bother. My lists typically have a handful of IDs and that's it.

Other radios are limited to 255 entries per list, but you could get around this by having a list for fire units and another list for law units, and associating the fire list with the Fire system, and the law list with the Law system. I've done this before, it's an imperfect solution but it works.

K2NEC

XL-PL9G. When feature is enabled, users can write all 3000 configured aliases to the radio without incident. When feature is not enabled, users will only be able to use the I-Call list of 255 entries maximum

List price $275.
Geeez. Why am I not surprised....

I have one large law list for a department so multiple lists wouldn't really work here. Guess next paycheck I'm reaching out to my dealer :rolleyes:

Where do I assign the configured aliases instead of the I-call list?

wa8pyr

Technischer Guru
Staff member
Lead Database Admin
Geeez. Why am I not surprised....

I have one large law list for a department so multiple lists wouldn't really work here. Guess next paycheck I'm reaching out to my dealer :rolleyes:

Where do I assign the configured aliases instead of the I-call list?

With RPM2, it's User Alias under Lists. RPM, it's Individual Call Set under Sets.