Icom: Seeking Help with Icom IC-705 Battery Issue

Status
Not open for further replies.

MDScanFan

My Icom 705 is 11 months old - so one more month of warranty. I mostly run it on an external bioenneo battery though I do use the internal battery as well. I went to start it up over the weekend and the radio would not turn on with its internal BP-272 battery. I tried an external Bioenno battery as well as the USB cable and still it would not start up. If the internal battery is removed the radio starts up fine. I plugged the battery back in while on an external source, as usual, and the battery does not charge. While on an external battery and with the internal plugged in the radio occasionally prompts me to select whether this is the BP-272 or BP-307 battery. Battery voltage shows up as 0V on a multimeter.

My choices are to send the radio in for warranty service or buy another internal battery to see if that fixes the issue.

Is there a way for me to determine if this is a radio or battery issue? I do not have another internal battery to try. I am guessing/hoping it is a battery issue only.

Any suggestions? Thanks.

AK9R

Lead Wiki Manager and almost an Awesome Moderator
Super Moderator
I suggest you call Icom America on Monday and ask for technical support. They may be able to diagnose the problem or suggest a solution over the phone.

bearcatrp

Premium Subscriber
Have a similar issue with my R30. Have to remove the battery to charge it in the cradle. Won't charge while on the R30. Had a 705 a while ago. When you plug it in the usb port to charge but not turned on, does it show its charging? My guess is its the battery. If you have a cradle to charge the battery by itself, suggest you fully charge it that way, then install on the 705. Otherwise, contact Icom for help.

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
Something you might want to try before calling Icom - there are 2 rather well populated Facebook groups for this radio. It can't hurt to ask there to see if there's an easy solution

Mike

prcguy

I think the battery is dead dead dead and when connected to the radio its causing problems. I see this with lots of other equipment where I've let the batter run down too far and the charger or external power has to be connected for at least several minutes for the device to come alive where it comes on instantly with a good battery.

bearcatrp

Premium Subscriber
My R30 displayed those issues. But it does charge to full in the cradle and works fine when I install it back into the R30. Not sure why but not ready to buy another battery.

N4DJC

Battery issue is my guess. What does the 705 voltage read when only the Icom battery is installed?

MDScanFan

OP back with an update...the consensuses was correct that the battery was depleted and the 705 was not able to get it to charge. I ended up buying a drop in charger for the BP-272 and that did the trick. I fully charged it in the charger and it now works fine in the 705. Since then I have had no issues charging it as usual in the 705. My advice is to not let the battery fully deplete if you do not have access to a drop in charger.

N4DJC

OP back with an update...the consensuses was correct that the battery was depleted and the 705 was not able to get it to charge. I ended up buying a drop in charger for the BP-272 and that did the trick. I fully charged it in the charger and it now works fine in the 705. Since then I have had no issues charging it as usual in the 705. My advice is to not let the battery fully deplete if you do not have access to a drop in charger.

Good to know, I ordered a drop in charger for my ID-52A…dual duty :)

Status
Not open for further replies.