Seeking Options to Transmit From Radio Room to My Yard

Status
Not open for further replies.

MDScanFan

I already have the CCRadio 2E. It is my go to AM/FM radio around the house. The sound quality is impressive and I believe it has a line in jack. While not suitable for use around the yard, I may try to pair it with a cheap Bluetooth receiver for in house monitoring. Goof suggestion.

Related but short range (up to 30 feet), I highly recommend this combination for remote monitoring of your scanner's audio! I'm using this so I can listen to my scanners (located in my home office) when I'm in my bedroom or kitchen when desired. The radio's volume is loud enough to be heard clearly throughout the entire house! It works and sounds fantastic!

I recently bought a C Crane CCRadio 3B that I think its the best AM/FM portable radios I've ever owned. It also covers weather and 2 Meter 144~148 MHz ham communications. It can also function as a Bluetooth receiver. With it's BIG 5" speaker, and individual bass & treble controls you can tailor it to awesome audio with a big punch when needed!
View attachment 91687

I also purchased a
TaoTronics Bluetooth 5.0 Transmitter/Receiver, Wireless 3.5mm Audio Adapter (Low Latency, Pair 2 at Once, for TV/Car Sound System, or scanners ) from Amazon:

View attachment 91686

MDScanFan

I appreciate all of the advice. It gave me some good things to think about and I researched a bit over the weekend. I will give it some more thought,

- FM...I like the idea of broadcasting on FM and being able to tune in using the multitude of radios dispersed around the house. But I am concerned with getting adequate reception around the yard with a part 15 compliant setup. Perhaps with careful placement of the transmitter it may work.

- Bluetooth... I initially crossed this off my list because I did not realize they offer longer range Bluetooth transmitters. From what I have read it seems like this should give me the range needed. I would need to buy a long range transmitter and a tiny receiver with 1/8” jack. Prices are not too bad.

- Baby monitor...sound quality would not be very good but based on examples in my neighborhood I know it would cover the needed range. Without a line in jack I am concerned about forgetting the mic is turned on.

danesgs

49 mhz kids walkie talkies work best at 100 milliwatts. I set one up once and did a test of transmit range and got about 2 1/2 blocks away before I got flutter and the audio is good enough for what you want. Also they are a bit cheaper than baby monitors although they use the same set of frequencies. Some even have different channels at 49 that you can try for best range.

majoco

Stirrer
I have no idea what the constraints are of 'part 15' but my little transmitter power is in the microwatts. Those FM transmitters that you plugged in to the cigar lighter in your car to play MP3's though - are they legal? I suggest that my FM transmitter is in that category too - and if the man in the FCC van catches up with you, then you can plead ignorance - but how is he going to find you - doesn't the law allow you to transmit low power on those frequencies at the low and high end of the band?

kb5udf

Premium Subscriber
Use the scanner feed software of your choice to send out the desired audio over IP. You can receive on WIFI if in range, or cell network if out of range on your cell phone. Works great for me.

RichardKramer

Premium Subscriber
For years I've been using a pair of RS 900MHz voice activated intercoms for relaying V/UHF a/c signals around the house. With a Y connector I have a RS Pro 60 for VHF and an AR8000 for UHF with an inline cable to the rca jack on the intercom. They are WBFM with a choice of 4 freqs (910, 911, 912, 913MHz). They sound very garbled on an regular FM scanner; so they offer some privacy. I have the tx in the basement and get a range of about 200'. If used in an upper floor, I'm sure they would easily go 300'. The volume is plenty loud, you could install a headphone jack in the rx unit for use with headphones/spkr mic. A friend of mine found a couple of them on ebay for less than $60. Model # 43-3102 wireless 900MHz intercoms, AC or 4 AA batts. Units easily fit in a pants pocket.

Rich - N3VMY - KAG0096

krokus

Premium Subscriber
This item popped up when looking at the link that iMONITOR posted.

If the accompanying antenna doesn't provide coverage, another could be connected.

This could be used with a set of hearing protection with a built-in FM radio, when doing work in a noisy environment.

chrismol1

P25 TruCking!
76-108MHz at 7 watts FCC Certified...hmmm seems none of this is mentioned in fcc documents on it next to part 15 low power. I wonder what the defintion of low power is to them

Status
Not open for further replies.