Seeking RG6 Direct Bury Recommendation

Status
Not open for further replies.

MDScanFan

I need to bury a couple 150’ runs of RG6 for some receive only active antennas. The amplifiers are at the antennas so the cable specs do not matter. Robustness in the ground and price matter more. Are there any recommendations for features to look for or particular part numbers? Thank you.

I did a brief search and came across things like:
- Commscope 4685203
- Southwire 58125803
- DX Engineering RG6UFQ

belvdr

No longer interested in living
Just curious why one would not use conduit so you can replace or add coax later. Cost is about the only reason I can think of.

prcguy

Conduit is the only way to go when burying cable and I would recommend direct burial rated cable inside the conduit. There are lots of critters that love to chew up underground cables and conduit usually fixes that. PVC conduit is really cheap and lasts a long time. It will fill up with water no matter what you do, so whatever cable is inside will be submerged in water much of the time, that's why I would get direct burial type.

Conduit. Just do it.

MDScanFan

I appreciate the conduit suggestions. As it was pointed out, even if I go that route it would still be prudent to use direct bury cable.

I have seen some that are pvc and some that are polyethylene. Some use gas injected foam insulation and others use a gel layer. I am wondering if there is much difference among these for my application.

BC_Scan

Anythng in UG environment w/or without conduit must be outdoor rated for burial. I pull out daily old copper from a telecom conduit placed for exclusive telco use by smart technicians who think they are being smart by bridging the gap between building for the security cams needs between two points. The non rated cable comes out with a usesless outer jacket all soft and compromised from siting in the plain ol ground water. Even with fibre links and non rated cable.

TailGator911

Silent Key/KF4ANC
I buried a 35ft section of RG6 and the only problem I had was physically bending the cable to do what I wanted inside the junction feed at the side of the house. I have a pre-installed plastic box with a large feed conduit (I have 8 outside antennas) going into my radio room. All feeds are buried except for my main 2m/440 cable and CB radio antenna. With the RG6, it was basically a U-turn inside the junction box and the cable did not want to cooperate. If you are going to put cable in the ground, you must use conduit. Like prc said, just do it.

iMONITOR

Silent Key
Premium Subscriber
My Comcast TV coax has been buried for 21 years still works perfect, no conduit. It's not even below the frost line.

MDScanFan

Has anyone used the direct bury cable that uses a “gel floodant”, such as Commscope F677TSEF? I am wondering it that presents any issues such as using standard compression connectors, making a sticky mess, etc.

prcguy

The flooded cables I've used fit regular connectors but you really have to use compression or crimp connectors as the braid is covered with goo. Wear gloves, its messy.

Has anyone used the direct bury cable that uses a “gel floodant”, such as Commscope F677TSEF? I am wondering it that presents any issues such as using standard compression connectors, making a sticky mess, etc.

MDScanFan

I ended up buying a big spool of the RG6 with the gel floodant. I am using compression connectors. I plan to lay out several runs of the coax this weekend. It is a mess to work with the braid covered in goo. Do I need to do anything special with the braid or do I just leave it covered in goo and attach the compression connector as usual?

Status
Not open for further replies.