Seeking Scanner Recommendations For Use In Selma, TX, Please

Status
Not open for further replies.

selma78154

Hello.

It feels like an eternity since I've used a scanner. The last scanner I bought was in 2004, a Radio Shack Pro-83. I stopped using it and while it is still in like-new condition, it is obviously outdated and not up to scanning the modern trunked radio systems.

I live in Selma, TX, and would like to be able to scan the local Selma PD along with adjacent Schertz and San Antonio.

I'm hoping to gather some opinions here on what is the best scanner to buy given the listening requirements I mentioned above.
Also, if there is a specific online retailer you've dealt with that has provided good service and price, I'd appreciate that recommendation also.

I reached out to one online retailer, ZipScanners, who has the SDS1000 scanner for $649. I've also looked at ScannerMaster and they have it for $699, although not currently in stock.

Prices for the hardware are considerably more expensive than what I was previously accustomed to, although I can appreciate the advanced technology needed to scan modern radio systems. That said, if I'm going to drop $700+ on a handheld scanner, I'd like it to be the best I can get, given that I can scan the aforementioned municipalities with it.

If Selma is using encryption, then I can live with that, as many agencies have gone in that direction. Schertz, San Antonio and other towns seem to be available on Broadcastify, whereas Selma seems to be missing for some reason.

Thanks for your recommendations and information.

Whiskey3JMC

DXpeditioner
Premium Subscriber
Hi & welcome to the RR forums!
Selma is listed in the DB as P25 Phase-II on this system. The scanners listed in the screenshot below should be able to track it. Personally I'm a Uniden fanboy so they have my recommendation
1613949278057.png

If Selma is using encryption, then I can live with that, as many agencies have gone in that direction.
If the database is accurate then Selma is "in the clear". Click on the system link I gave above & go to the tables where the talkgroups are listed. Focusing on the "Mode" column, only those talkgroups listed as mode "DE" or "TE" are encrypted full time. Selma's are all listed as mode "D" and therefore should be able to be monitored

hiegtx

Mentor
Premium Subscriber
Hello.

It feels like an eternity since I've used a scanner. The last scanner I bought was in 2004, a Radio Shack Pro-83. I stopped using it and while it is still in like-new condition, it is obviously outdated and not up to scanning the modern trunked radio systems.

I live in Selma, TX, and would like to be able to scan the local Selma PD along with adjacent Schertz and San Antonio.

I'm hoping to gather some opinions here on what is the best scanner to buy given the listening requirements I mentioned above.
Also, if there is a specific online retailer you've dealt with that has provided good service and price, I'd appreciate that recommendation also.

I reached out to one online retailer, ZipScanners, who has the SDS1000 scanner for $649. I've also looked at ScannerMaster and they have it for $699, although not currently in stock.

Prices for the hardware are considerably more expensive than what I was previously accustomed to, although I can appreciate the advanced technology needed to scan modern radio systems. That said, if I'm going to drop $700+ on a handheld scanner, I'd like it to be the best I can get, given that I can scan the aforementioned municipalities with it.

If Selma is using encryption, then I can live with that, as many agencies have gone in that direction. Schertz, San Antonio and other towns seem to be available on Broadcastify, whereas Selma seems to be missing for some reason.

Thanks for your recommendations and information.
(Whiskey3 typed faster, so some of what I've noted he already has.)

Looking at your area, there are several trunked systems that you need to be able to monitor.

For San Antonio & Bexar County, currently they are on this system:
Most of the public safety agencies on this system are using ProVoice. You can purchase an upgrade from Uniden to be able to receive ProVoice. But EDACS/ProVoice is a dying format. The manufacturer no longer supports it, and eventually San Antonio & Bexar County will be moving to a P25 Phase II system:

How soon that changeover will be made is something that, perhaps, someone in your immediate area has more specific details. If it were me, and if the changeover is likely to take place in the next few months, or at least by the end of this year, I would forego trying to hear San Antonio by purchasing the upgrade, and just wait till they move fully to the new Phase II system, which does not require an upgrade. But that's your call, not mine.

Selma, & Schertz, are on this system:
Schertz PD is tagged as mostly encrypted, though dispatch is showing as clear (not encrypted).
Selma does not show as encrypted.

Both the LCRA system, as well as the Alamo Area system that San Antonio will eventually switch to, have Simulcast sites. Simulcast can be a major pain, but it is extremely location driven. If you are in the "right" spot, you may luck out & have no issues. Otherwise, you may not be able to hear the systems at all, or much of the radio traffic is garbled. The SDS series scanners are designed to handle simulcast, so I would recommend the SDS100 (handheld) or the SDS200 (base/mobile).
More on Simulcast is in the Wiki:
Simulcast digital distortion - The RadioReference Wiki

ScannerMaster, which you noted is out of stock, shows the "list" price for the SDS100, but their selling price, when in stock, is $649.99
Bearcat Warehouse indicates as in stock at $649.99.
Main Trading has the SDS100 @ $689, but that also includes a soft case as well as the extra, external, battery charger. (The battery charger, purchased separately, ranges from $60 to $70 at various dealers.)
Or, the Scanner with just the case for $650.00
Or, a "store demo" SDS100 @ $599.
While people that have purchased from Main Trading have had good results, I would note that they are in Paris, TX, so you would get tagged for Texas sales tax. Maybe not, if purchased from ScannerMaster or Bearcat Warehouse.

Personally, I would shy away from Zip's Scanners. Too many transactions reported that did not go well. In some cases, they have been prety much perfect, but when things go wrong, which seems to be a noticeable percentage of their sales, in can be virtually a nightmare, See this long thread for one of the transactions that went seriously wrong, and how much back & forth it took to finally be resolved.

There is an outside chance that a BCD436HP might work, if you are not in the 'simulcast valley of death', but no way to know, for sure, until you try to use that model, Should you decide to try the 436HP, buy from a dealer that won't penalize you if you need to return & and switch to an SDS100 due to simulcast.

selma78154

(Whiskey3 typed faster, so some of what I've noted he already has.)

Looking at your area, there are several trunked systems that you need to be able to monitor.

For San Antonio & Bexar County, currently they are on this system:
Most of the public safety agencies on this system are using ProVoice. You can purchase an upgrade from Uniden to be able to receive ProVoice. But EDACS/ProVoice is a dying format. The manufacturer no longer supports it, and eventually San Antonio & Bexar County will be moving to a P25 Phase II system:

How soon that changeover will be made is something that, perhaps, someone in your immediate area has more specific details. If it were me, and if the changeover is likely to take place in the next few months, or at least by the end of this year, I would forego trying to hear San Antonio by purchasing the upgrade, and just wait till they move fully to the new Phase II system, which does not require an upgrade. But that's your call, not mine.

Selma, & Schertz, are on this system:
Schertz PD is tagged as mostly encrypted, though dispatch is showing as clear (not encrypted).
Selma does not show as encrypted.

Both the LCRA system, as well as the Alamo Area system that San Antonio will eventually switch to, have Simulcast sites. Simulcast can be a major pain, but it is extremely location driven. If you are in the "right" spot, you may luck out & have no issues. Otherwise, you may not be able to hear the systems at all, or much of the radio traffic is garbled. The SDS series scanners are designed to handle simulcast, so I would recommend the SDS100 (handheld) or the SDS200 (base/mobile).
More on Simulcast is in the Wiki:
Simulcast digital distortion - The RadioReference Wiki

ScannerMaster, which you noted is out of stock, shows the "list" price for the SDS100, but their selling price, when in stock, is $649.99
Bearcat Warehouse indicates as in stock at $649.99.
Main Trading has the SDS100 @ $689, but that also includes a soft case as well as the extra, external, battery charger. (The battery charger, purchased separately, ranges from $60 to $70 at various dealers.)
Or, the Scanner with just the case for $650.00
Or, a "store demo" SDS100 @ $599.
While people that have purchased from Main Trading have had good results, I would note that they are in Paris, TX, so you would get tagged for Texas sales tax. Maybe not, if purchased from ScannerMaster or Bearcat Warehouse.

Personally, I would shy away from Zip's Scanners. Too many transactions reported that did not go well. In some cases, they have been prety much perfect, but when things go wrong, which seems to be a noticeable percentage of their sales, in can be virtually a nightmare, See this long thread for one of the transactions that went seriously wrong, and how much back & forth it took to finally be resolved.

There is an outside chance that a BCD436HP might work, if you are not in the 'simulcast valley of death', but no way to know, for sure, until you try to use that model, Should you decide to try the 436HP, buy from a dealer that won't penalize you if you need to return & and switch to an SDS100 due to simulcast.

Thank you very much for your input, this will help me going forward with my decision!

selma78154

Hi & welcome to the RR forums!
Selma is listed in the DB as P25 Phase-II on this system. The scanners listed in the screenshot below should be able to track it. Personally I'm a Uniden fanboy so they have my recommendation
View attachment 99365

If the database is accurate then Selma is "in the clear". Click on the system link I gave above & go to the tables where the talkgroups are listed. Focusing on the "Mode" column, only those talkgroups listed as mode "DE" or "TE" are encrypted full time. Selma's are all listed as mode "D" and therefore should be able to be monitored

Really appreciate your taking the time and your recommendation. Thanks and glad to be here!

Status
Not open for further replies.