Seeking Sentinel on Chromebook advice

Status
Not open for further replies.

MNCruzn

I'm using CrossOver on my ChromeBook to run Sentinel. I've got the software installed and running. I've got my BCD436HP connected to the Chromebook, the Chromebook can see the scanner and the SD card, but Sentinel (running in CrossOver) doesn't see the SD Card.

Does anyone know of a setting or workaround, or do I just chalk this up to trying to make something work that isn't intended to work??? Thanks!

MNCruzn

When you plug the cable into the 436, do you press E to enter Mass Storage?
Yes...I do press "E", and the display on the 436 shows "Mass Storage". I can see the SD card when I browse the files on the Chromebook. However Sentinel doesn't "see" the SD card.

I've tried to hit the 'refresh' button in Sentinel when trying to read from the scanner, to no avail.

I've tried to connect the scanner when Sentinel is running, as well as connecting the 436 first, and then loading Sentinel, with the same results...

Reconrider

I don't know jack crap about chromebook besides they're crap.
Look up and see if it's possible to get a "com port" with chrome book. That's the only way to make the sds connect to the computer without inserting the sd card into the computer.

kruser

Premium Subscriber
Look up and see if it's possible to get a "com port" with chrome book. That's the only way to make the sds connect to the computer without inserting the sd card into the computer.
Sentinel does not use com ports at all. The OP is also talking about a 436, not an SDS but that really does not matter with the OPs question.
It needs to see the SD card as a 'removable' USB drive otherwise Sentinel will not allow the operation.
I had a Lenovo Win 10 machine that reported the 436HP cards as removable drives to the OS but not Sentinel. Sentinel was convinced all the USB drives were fixed disks so it would not work. A bios update would have been needed to make that computer work.

Virtual control via programs like ProScan would need the 436 to be set to Serial Port Mode.

Last edited:

pb_lonny

I had never heard of CrossOver until now. I think you might struggle to get it to work as I am not sure at what level this access works.

KK4JUG

Premium Subscriber
While the Chromebook is "crap" by computer standards, it does what is was designed to do. They're low-priced and will do some the stuff a smart phone will do. It's not designed to be a word processor or graphic design machine. It's for surfing the web or maybe a little FB. Sentinel is not a complicated program but it's not the kind of program Chromebooks were designed for.

Status
Not open for further replies.