Seeking suggestions on improving reception

Status
Not open for further replies.

timkilbride

Database Admin
I am looking to increase my reception to my South(see attached map). My radio, Kenwook TK-790, is in Cedar Rapids. I can receive mobiles with-in circle, the base radio at Brooklyn(40 miles) and West Liberty(35 miles) I can receive, with Brooklyn coming in better. The base radio in Iowa City is hit and miss(must shorter tower). I have used a RS 20-176, traintenna, and a homemade folded dipole. All three have basically had equal performance. All frequencies monitored are VHF-Hi(160-162MHz). I can only mount antennas in the attic. My coax run is apx. 20-28' of RG8. Any ideas?

TIA,
Tim K.

Attachments

• RRfeed2.jpg
    RRfeed2.jpg
    76.2 KB · Views: 628
N

N_Jay

There is no magic to antennas.

Get it high, get it in the open, and use reasonable cable.

You can get 3 to 9 dB more signal by going to a staked array or yagi antenna.

At 160 MHz you probably only have room for 3 db stacked.

A yagi is going to give you only one direction,

Since you only want one band, you might have luck with a preamp and a preselector, but I doubt it.

Also, 3 dB will be hardly noticeable.
6 dB will clean up some noisy signals, and you may get a few you missed but they will be noisy.
10 dB will clean up most noisy signals, but will still probably not be enough to bring in signals you are missing and make then clear.

Last edited:

code3cowboy

Start with a good VHF base antenna tuned for the 160-161mhz railroad band. Get some low loss feed line. If you continue to have issues, you can put a preamp into your antenna system.

You can go to a long wire type antenna if you want, but it would take some crawling around the attic.

timkilbride

Database Admin
I have a "base" antenna from diamond at my dads. Its tuned for 2M but should work well for 161.000. Now if I could only get a couple days off to get it. He lives 3.5 hours away. Today I drilled a hole through the roof and shoved a VHF 5/8 wave mobile whip through the hole and used a base NMO kit, didn't work to well :(

I am looking to increase my reception to my South(see attached map). My radio, Kenwook TK-790, is in Cedar Rapids. I can receive mobiles with-in circle, the base radio at Brooklyn(40 miles) and West Liberty(35 miles) I can receive, with Brooklyn coming in better. The base radio in Iowa City is hit and miss(must shorter tower). I have used a RS 20-176, traintenna, and a homemade folded dipole. All three have basically had equal performance. All frequencies monitored are VHF-Hi(160-162MHz). I can only mount antennas in the attic. My coax run is apx. 20-28' of RG8. Any ideas?

TIA,
Tim K.

What is the source of this map? It looks like it has some nice info

Greg V

code3cowboy

I have a "base" antenna from diamond at my dads. Its tuned for 2M but should work well for 161.000. Now if I could only get a couple days off to get it. He lives 3.5 hours away. Today I drilled a hole through the roof and shoved a VHF 5/8 wave mobile whip through the hole and used a base NMO kit, didn't work to well :(

you are talking a difference of 20mhz. how about trying a yagi, I happen to have one I want out of my garage.

N

N_Jay

Maybe I missed something.

It sounds like you drilled a hone in the roof of your house and suck a mobile 5/8 wave antenna through with no ground plane and it did not work well?

1) I am not surprised.

2) How are you planning on fixing the hole?

timkilbride

Database Admin
Maybe I missed something.

It sounds like you drilled a hone in the roof of your house and suck a mobile 5/8 wave antenna through with no ground plane and it did not work well?

1) I am not surprised.

2) How are you planning on fixing the hole?

It was a base NMO kit, they come with a ground plane, probably not the best ground plane, but it did have one. The hole drilled was 1/8", its already been sealed with a outdoor sealant

Status
Not open for further replies.