Seeking Technical Advice on Building a QRP CW Transceiver for 160 Band

SERRANODAVID

Hello! I am seeking your technical advice regarding a project that I need to carry out to find out if you can recommend any books, websites, or guidance where I can find more information on the subject. In a course I am taking, I was assigned the task of building a QRP CW Transceiver that operates in the 160 band, but my team and I have no idea where to start. I have seen videos explaining the operation of a Transceiver in general and how they work, but I still cannot find information that will help me at least understand the basics to start building it. Thank you again, and if you have any information that can guide me, I would appreciate it.

ladn

Explorer of the Frequency Spectrum
Premium Subscriber
Southern California and sometimes Owens Valley
Some ARRL publications may have what you are looking for. I'd start with the Radio Amateurs Handbook, but there are other publications, too, along with QST magazine. Old issues of 73 Magazine might also have what you are looking for.

wyShack

Premium Subscriber
Sounds like a project. Lets start with the easy questions. CW only or are you going to want to receive SSB? How much output power? how sensitive on receive? If it was me, I would start by trying to design/build a simple direct conversion receiver for 1.8-2 Mhz. At that point a transmitter can take the oscillator output and just amplify it.

What kind of antenna is planned? Most 'store bought' radios are built to operate with a 50 ohm impedance antenna. If I was goiing to home brew a 160 meter radio I would see what I had for an antenna so I could build the antenna tuner into the radio.

Again, to start look up direct conversion receivers and go form there.

Remember the radio must meet the spectrum purity regulations on Part 97 of the FCC rules-those regs will become part of the specification for your design.

73 and good luck

RU55

Radio receiver
I'll second the QCX+ from QRPlabs. I've built several of them...they are amazing!

Hi Serrano ;)

I hope by now that you may have found some information that you and your team need for this assignment.
I am not quite sure if this transmitter/receiver is to be a project that is a design you and your group comes up with, or is it simply assembling a kit of parts-- with a minimal of understanding required.

I am going to assume its the former-- and-- once upon a time----
---- as a teaching assistant (those notorious"TA's"} I would require that my students be able to explain to me what they had done, how they did it and how it works.

The QCX transceiver is an excellent, easy way if its building a radio. But will you be able to explain it to your 'powers-that-be ?" - if that be a requirement ?

What I am going to suggest is rather radical, in this age of microprocessors, surface mount technologies etc.
I am going to suggest you do it with tubes.
Old ARRL Handbooks are full of simple tube transmitter and regenerative receivers projects. They can be 'bread boarded" on pieces of pine board --or you can get fancy and use aluminium chassis's etc.
Yes yes, you may be labelled a dinosaur, but I guarantee you that it will not only be fun, but quite easy and you will learn plenty.
A little too "retro ?" Then use discrete devices like transistors
(I could build you a QRP CW 160 metre transmitter with a crystal, a variable capacitor and some 2N2222 transistors in about two hours :) .}

____________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Years ago my lab used to sponsor high school science departments, and in one of those schools there was a radio club.
These were the brightest of the bright STEM students- and they were always a pleasure to counsel-- though often they were a little to bright. Coming up with interesting challenges for them was not easy.

Somewhere in these forums I posted about one of these challenges -- one almost exactly like your assignment---
My challenge to them was to come up with a station based on some AM broadcast kitchen radios and other scrounged parts that they could make talk to other amateurs (as if this were a SHTF scenario.)
This Posting I sadly :( can't find**---- but in essence --

They tuned one of the AM radios up to 1800 KHz, and using another for parts, they construct'd a modulated oscillator/transmitter.

With the assistance of other neighboring ham stations about 20-30 miles away they made 2-way QSO's, and won my challenge (the prize was lunch at a fancy Mexican restaurant.)

Does this give you any ideas ? I hope so :)

Lauri

6ipnr54iE.jpg

________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

** It was a few years ago but I can't remember where I posted it in here-------------sighs

MUTNAV

Premium Subscriber
One idea is that If it's supposed to be original (which it sounds like it is.... I'd avoid minimum parts count, and possibly seperate the transmitter and receiver and switch between the two with a.... switch (knife type if needed).

Thanks
Joel

heres a reference for you (downloadable, I'm finding the archive site a great resource)

and this

N1EXA

FT8 Huntin Mudd Duck on the deep end of the pond !
You can buy a crystal on ebay for the 160M ham band there are plenty around.
When you get the transmitter running the receiver will be a simple crystal radio receiver
here is one below with a few transistors to boost the head set.
That and start watching more Hogans Hero's episodes Kinch was pretty good wit this stuff !
crystal-set-amplifier-circuit-with-variable-gain.jpg

27452_1.jpg

Pete N1EXA

wyShack

Premium Subscriber
Another item to get you going. If the goal is to design build a transceiver, you may wan to start with the idea that a transceiver is 'made up of' several stages (or circuits) which work together. Search for 'transceiver block diagram' and go from there. Many of those 'blocks are now implemented on an IC or 'chip' meaning the transceiver is a few 'chips' and some other parts when complete.

For design, get an idea of the 'blocks' involved as you will be designing each block. After that is is a matter of going 'deeper and deeper' into the details of each block or stage. or you may search for and find a 'transceiver on a chip' which only requires a few other parts to make a complete radio.

73, good luck and never stop learning

MUTNAV

Premium Subscriber
Are there any special requirements for this transceiver.

Is just working across the room ok (in band, auto switching between transmit and receive, full break in etc...?

Thanks
Joel