• Effective immediately we will be deleting, without notice, any negative threads or posts that deal with the use of encryption and streaming of scanner audio.

We've noticed a huge increase in rants and negative posts that revolve around agencies going to encryption due to the broadcasting of scanner audio on the internet. It's now worn out and continues to be the same recycled rants. These rants hijack the threads and derail the conversation. They no longer have a place anywhere on this forum other than in the designated threads in the Rants forum in the Tavern.

If you violate these guidelines your post will be deleted without notice and an infraction will be issued. We are not against discussion of this issue. You just need to do it in the right place. For example:
    https://forums.radioreference.com/rants/224104-official-thread-live-audio-feeds-scanners-wait-encryption.html

Seeking you opinion on scanners

Status
Not open for further replies.

safetyobc

Hello,

I have been battling myself with a scanner decision for months now. I have PMd several of you but would just like to get some open opinions.

I have a Pro-97 among other scanners. I am considering selling the Pro-97 and purchasing a BR330T. I like the memory management and some of the features of the newer Unidens.

I have a BCD396T and have previously owned a BC246T. I also have a Pro-2055 and Yaesu VR-120 (the best "receiver"). I have every intention of purchasing the BCT15 when it is released.

I am curious to know what you guys think of me selling the 97 for a BR330T? Using both Uniden and GRE scanners, I do know that I will give up some sensitivity going with the BR330T. Anyone use the Diamond RH77CA with the BR330T? If so what kind of performance does that give you?

Thanks for any opinions.

matt

Dubbin

Premium Subscriber
Personally I would ditch the PRO-97 just for the fact of the rebanding issues.

cristisphoto

Dubbin said:
Personally I would ditch the PRO-97 just for the fact of the rebanding issues.
True, but why not get both ????
as the 97 is more sensitive ......
And Uniden has better support etc....
I have the 97 and BCD396T...
I love them both.
However,
on Freqeuncy counting the 97 is more sensitive...
Furthermore,
The rebanding will take about a couple of years still..
By then Ratshack should have a whole new line of compatible units...
Not too mention the fact, the rebanding is ONLY on the 800 Meghz band ....
Anyways,
Crista

rayveedub

i have the a bunch of 796D's and they seem to do everything i ask of them.

safetyobc

The sensitivity of the Pro-97 is slightly better than the BCD396T but the dynamic memory is definately a plus. And the wideband coverage.

Anyone listen to any broadcast shortwave on their BR330T or AM? I have Shortwave radios for dedicated listening, just curious if it receives much? My VR-120 is fairly decent on SW, but sucks on AM.

hiegtx

Mentor
Premium Subscriber
safetyobc said:
I am going to try the BR330T. I have an offer for trade in the Wanted forums.

Thanks for the opinions.

matt
Matt,
I'm using a Diamond RH771 antenna on my BR330. Same basic antenna as the RH77CA, but about an inch longer. Once I get outside the rf clutter of the city (and the aluminum siding on my house) I can hear county Vhf systems 60 miles & up on repeaters. Also one 800 Mhz LTR system from about 50 miles (I was in a high part of Stephens County, listening to the Parker County system). Don't have a Pro-97 for a direct comparison, but I'm not missing anything that I expected to hear on it.
AVC396 (from Scannerbase) will work with the 330 for recording & logging. and the UASD files from your 396 will copy over intact without needing to be edited. Saves me time when I make changes or updates.

safetyobc

hiegtx said:
Matt,
I'm using a Diamond RH771 antenna on my BR330. Same basic antenna as the RH77CA, but about an inch longer. Once I get outside the rf clutter of the city (and the aluminum siding on my house) I can hear county Vhf systems 60 miles & up on repeaters. Also one 800 Mhz LTR system from about 50 miles (I was in a high part of Stephens County, listening to the Parker County system). Don't have a Pro-97 for a direct comparison, but I'm not missing anything that I expected to hear on it.
AVC396 (from Scannerbase) will work with the 330 for recording & logging. and the UASD files from your 396 will copy over intact without needing to be edited. Saves me time when I make changes or updates.
Thank you. I am actively trying to sell some things to purchase a BR330T. The 97 is a great scanner, but for my use and wants, I think the BR330T will suit me better. The Pro-97 usually stays put away unless the #@#@ hits the fan. But I believe the BR330T will see more daily action.

Thanks again.

matt

MarkWestin

After I received my BR330T, I hardly look at my BC246T any more. I haven't really done anything notable with my AR8200 Mk3 either. I really like the BR330T. I sold off a Kenwood TH-D7A (not G) and all the goodies so that I could buy the BR330T, and it has hardly been turned off since I received it, unlike the Kenwood, which was a "shelf queen".

I sold my PRO-95, which I never liked (I don't really know why), so that I could buy the BC246T.

Mark

hiegtx

Mentor
Premium Subscriber
I'm primarily using my 396 & 330. My 246 is relegated to third fiddle, mainly for isolating on specific incidents. Thinking about putting my oldest pc back together, & using the 246 to see if I can set up an online feed at some point. That might be a good use for it, since, for now, little digital in my area.
Still need to do some external antenna work, once I round up a couple of volunteers to help.

safetyobc

Thanks guys. I should have purchased the BR330T when i bought the Pro-97. But I had to try it. Not saying the Pro-97 is a bad scanner, because it isn't. It receives GREAT. But I like the features of the Uniden scanner. I may have to outright sell the Pro-97 then purchase the BR330T.

I am anxious to get one. Hopefully I can get one before the BCT15 comes out and pick one of those up too.

Thanks again.

cristisphoto

Selling the Pro 97....

PErsoannly I would still keep the 97
I still have mine and I love it....
It helluva sensitive....
More so than Unidens
whil Uniden are superior and GRE's Models are usually designed on UNidens's...
Eventually you'll see that all units serve their own unique purpose in your shacks...
Anyhow
Crista

Also if you do sel Sell with caution
their a a LOT of Online scams
targeting both the buyers and sellers
I would suggest meeting face to face
and cash or money orders ONLY LOL
BUT hey thats me.....
Good Luck

Status
Not open for further replies.