• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

seemingly weird find online

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mattkuhar

hey everyone, i was looking at Frequencies online, and came across a listing for my old school district. they run Motorola SP50's (everything is handheld no mobiles) anyways, i saw the listing says 32Km radius from the high school address. realistically is there any reason they would need that kind of distance? i cant see a Portable getting that range (not setup for repeaters only simplex) and range only reliably gets about 3-4 miles (stole a radio when i was in school and got caught 4 days later, oops) i dont understand why they would license for that distance from the school. can anyone shed some light on this?

mmckenna

I really ♥ Ø
Most FCC licenses Part 90 licenses are set up this way. Since the RF spectrum is a finite resource, reusing frequencies is common. Usually you will see this, the license is for use for a certain radius around a center point.
While it would be unlikely that an SP50 would get 32km of range, it's possible. This really just means that the frequency was intended to be used fairly locally.

I've got some licenses that are set up by counties, in other words, we have some channels that have been licenses for use in a few specific counties. Other systems I have are licensed as a certain kilometer radius around the repeater site.

Pretty standard stuff, and not really tied to the specific radio they are using.

Mattkuhar

i think this forum needs a like button :) that makes sense now that i think about it esp as far a field trips are concerned, used to go about 15 miles to a day camp for our senior picnic and the chaperones were assigned radios from the school (close enough to be under the license of the school.

teufler

have you ever noticed the range advertisement for FRS radios ! Really ht to ht, I have never noticed much difference between ham vhf, and FRS. about 1-2 miles and ALOT of static after that. At least that is the range in the flat lands. Once had a CB walkie talkie talk from my hotel room at the Broadmore, in Wichita, to Hutchinson. now thats 41 to 42 miles as the crow flies, not bad for a 5 watt ht. Course I was on the 8th floor, hanging out the bathroom window but I had a conversation just the same.But this was ground wave, early evening.

Mattkuhar

yea actually i have a set of cobra FRS/GMRS that claim like 38 miles or something. and they have never gotten even 1 mile from my friend on a mountain top down to stop&shop at the bottom of the mountain. and as the crow flies its probably about .5-.75 miles. cant wait to see what i get with the VHF im putting in my truck. loading up MURS just for power/distance testing since it doesnt require a license (i know breaking rules) please dont arrest me ;)

mikewazowski

Forums Manager/Global DB Admin
Staff member
Moved to Industry Discussion from the Antennas forum since there's no mention of antennas in the initial post.

Matt, you'll find a description of each forum listed under the forum title. Please review the description to make sure you're posting in the right forum next time. This is the second thread from you that I've had to move today.

Thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.