Seems Harford County SO don't like to broadcast about shootings

Status
Not open for further replies.

lawman210

I heard a transmission today from a ems about responding to a cardiac arrest due to a gun shot wound. Subsequent transmission from the SO department only mentioned address or incident. My department has no problem asking the time out or what units responded to the "shooting"

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

ocguard

I heard a transmission today from a ems about responding to a cardiac arrest due to a gun shot wound. Subsequent transmission from the SO department only mentioned address or incident. My department has no problem asking the time out or what units responded to the "shooting"

Where was this? Could SO comms have been on one of their encrypted talk groups?

lawman210

I am not sure what Ems channel broadcast it but after I heard that I picked up the SO units from Southern responding. I don't recall the address. I will see if I recorded it and get back to you

lawman210

RR I think only shows one encrypted channel for Harford county.

lawman210

I use tapa talk but I was wondering is there a way to access RR database of frequencies via a smartphone? Could be useful for a manual frequency input

sc800

I read this differently. He heard SO radio traffic about the shooting, they just wouldn't use the word shooting and kept saying "the address" or "the incident" instead.

lawman210

That's correct that's what I meant. Even when they referred to it by address it was only referred to it by street name omitting the house number

fredva

Feed Provider
Do they have MDTs in their cars? Where I live, it's pretty common for officers to get some info about a call over an MDT, then additional info if needed over the radio.

lawman210

Yeah most decent agencies have them. My department was lucky to have 2 in a district installed and most of the time they didn't work. Then again you had to go to school every so many years to be registered to even login. We were always running several hundred officers short and our department had to many specialized units so patrol was always severely short so couldn't get the classes. I can't tell you how many days we go out a year with 12-13 officers where the minimum is 17. I guess as you get up in rank you forget how to count

Stephen

I am not sure why the original post was even a question as to how they handle that type of a call. Why would you want to jump on the radio and broadcast the word "shooting", when you may not want to start the chaos to soon on that type of a incident from everyone that monitors. If your a lawman I would figure you would be somewhat understanding of that instead of questioning how that agency handles a call.

Last edited:

lawman210

People listening by way of scanners is the least of the worries that concern many departments. I am sure I probably have more days retired as a law enforcement officer then you have ever served. When calls come out you usually tell it like it is to keep first responders from being misinformed uninformed or otherwise left in the dark. Let's see if the corner store is being robbed how shall we get that over the air? Juvenile is stealing a candybar? That is the code for that just in case some persons listening to scanners hear it we don't want mass chaos

lawman210

Broadcasting shots fired can be sent out as a child popping gum come on man be real

lawman210

I guess my old department is just plain ignorant and unwise. Or maybe since it's a city that used to have 700k people and now is down to maybe 300k with probably 40% unemployed drug addicts, users or welfare they figure no one in the vicinity can afford a scanner. That is until welfare starts allowing them to buy them with their food stamps.

JoeyC

Are you suggesting that your department is blindly sending officers to a shooting scene without providing details just because you didn't hear it? Reading this thread just doesn't make sense, or perhaps I am not understanding what the complaint here is...

lawman210

Are you suggesting that your department is blindly sending officers to a shooting scene without providing details just because you didn't hear it? Reading this thread just doesn't make sense, or perhaps I am not understanding what the complaint here is...

I was only stating that this local department appears to keep s a tight lid on incident such as this. It's one thing to miss 1 or 2 transmissions but incidents such as shootings command a large response and lots of manpower. To "not hear anything in regards to it for 2 hours other then a street reference seems that it could to be a policy not to put it over the air or as one has said they are using an encrypted channel for the details

lawman210

my reference to my department is not the same as the department I am speaking of. I said my department had no problem putting everything on the radio. Any and all info. The detectives who are not the primary responding units but are called in after the scene has been verified may use cellphones etc to communicate sensitive info but patrol doesnt. The most patrol would do is have other units switch over to channel "C" however as soon as a unit requested the switch nearly everyone probably switched over to "c" as well as every scanner enthusiast

DisasterGuy

I have been gone from Harford County for several years however it is common many places to heavily use "silent dispatch" where calls are sent and acknowledged only over MCT. It is also common to design dispatch systems so that complex or hot calls that typically involve more than one agency are on an encrypted TAC channel.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Stephen

Lawman,

1. I never claimed to be in law enforcement, so I am glad you made that assumption I would have figured all of those years in law enforcement would have taught you to steer away from assumptions.

2. The fact you boast about how long you have been retired, adds weight to the argument you might be wrong by in criticizing an agency on their CURRENT operational practice.

Status
Not open for further replies.