BCD436HP/BCD536HP: SELECT SERVICE TYPES Question

Status
Not open for further replies.

bushpusher

Had some time and was looking through the scanner menus and saw select service types had a peek and saw a lot of the items listed OFF
had a look at the owners manual under select services types not helpful for me
BCD436HP Press Function then Zip/Services
Scroll to each Service Type and press E/yes to enable or disable.
why Press Function then Zip/Services when i can already see the list and why are so many disabled in the scanners preinstalled
data base stuff like law talk are disabled.
Unless i am not understanding the hole select services types category.
A little insight from someone who knows more would really help,, I think i need to make a backup SD card so i can do some experimenting with the copy in case i mess things up
Roger

Last edited:

bushpusher

That's another question what are all the custom choices is there a chart or something
am i doing the Press Func then the Zip/Services buttons every time i want to enable or disable a category or just once then make my changes

ofd8001

Premium Subscriber
"Custom" allows you to assign channels to different Service Types when they are a part of a Favorites List.

Our local snowplow folks are assigned to Public Works, as are the garbage trucks, dead animal disposal, etc. So if I build a Favorites List I can assign the snowplow talkgroups to Custom 2. Then I can turn off the Public Works Service Type to avoid hearing garbage trucks etc. Especially helpful when scanning the full database.

Generally the scanner will only allow you to change those Service Types that are loaded in the memory, either by Favorites List and/or full database. If there are no Service Types of a given nature, such as Security, loaded in the memory, Security will have dashes beside it (comparable to being "greyed out").

The reasoning is this: Why turn off a Service Type that you can't get to, or turn on a Service Type that isn't there?

ofd8001

Premium Subscriber
I meant for the custom 1

Custom 1 - 4 are similar things, behaving mostly in the same way. You could reassign some channels from a "whatever" Service Type to Custom 1, then some additional channels from a "whatever" Service Type to Custom 2. So on and so forth up to Custom 4.

All this does is give you more options owing to how particular you want to be.

Status
Not open for further replies.