Select System

Status
Not open for further replies.

sjlamb

I want to beable to see what is in the scanner without seeing a hundred or more sites from multi site systems.. this is an obvious defect, issue, flaw, compromise, whatever.. but it needs to be addressed in the firmware..

Thanks
Brett

Well....Then just press [MENU], Select [PROGRAM SYSTEM].... then scroll thru the programmed Sysytems only if all you want to do is see what Sysytems are programmed.

W6KRU

UP MAN, While that is a work around can you then explain what the SYSTEM SELECT SCROLL IS SUPPOSED TO DO and When can your team fix it so it does not show sites?

Thank you

Brett

Brett, you do not turn systems off and on. You turn sites off and on. The systems are practically irrelevant. They are only used to group sites together. Why do you insist on removing the relevant information so that you can look at the irrelevant information?

brusso99

Dan your incorrect

10 ANY TRUNK is the SYSTEM

Primary 1
Primarty 2
East
West

Those are the sites

Sunrise Fire
Sunrise PD

Thosre are the channel groups.

There is no reason for 500 towers to be in the Scroll List with the Sytems.. This is a Jumble, it needs to be addressed.

UPMan

In Memoriam
Premium Subscriber
F+scroll lets you scroll through all the top-level things you can lock/unlock. You cannot lock or unlock multisite systems, only the sites within those systems. Without the functionality as it is, it would be very difficult to unlock a site that you had locked out (you'd have to go into the menu).

We have no plans to change this operation, as it is operating as designed and intended.

KE4ZNR

Radio Geek
Premium Subscriber
I understand your frustration (as misdirected as it might be).

We will just agree to disagree.

I respectfully disagree that this is a design flaw or a fault of Uniden's in any way. Your demand that Uniden fix something because you refuse to use any other method of navigating through systems other than the scroll knob is frivolous.
There are things I don't like about navigating around through Windows but I don't expect Microsoft to release a whole new OS just because I refuse to learn how to use the system to my advantage.

I do understand that the scanners of today are complicated. And there are things about both GRE & Uniden Scanners I wish I could change.
I do hope you come to a point where you are able to use the radio to your advantage. No radio is perfect but the DMA architecture works great.
Happy Monitoring
Marshall KE4ZNR

W6KRU

Dan your incorrect
There is no reason for 500 towers to be in the Scroll List with the Sytems.. This is a Jumble, it needs to be addressed.

I could be Brett. I still don't understand what you want to use the scroll list for?

I use it to find the SQK for something I don't listen to very often.

Do you have SQKs assigned to all of those towers?

brusso99

I could be Brett. I still don't understand what you want to use the scroll list for?

I use it to find the SQK for something I don't listen to very often.

Do you have SQKs assigned to all of those towers?

yes, this is what i used if for as well. i think that this unit has so many useability flaws and compromises that its kind of a shame that they dont rework this into a more intuitive interface, they can have on screen menus and other things. Heres an Example if i am on the system and i press function to turn on or off a channel group dont you think GRP should flash to indicate where i am, half the time the timming is wrong and i get add tgid or whatever. its not functional. UPman is all about this is how it is and how its been and all that.. thats great and i understand his constraints of a company that does the minimum, but I will bet you that the first company to redesign these scanners be it GRE or UNIDEN is going to do alot more sales. There are so many posts from people frustrated and annoyed to back my point on this. Something is wrong, take a hint.

in reality i should be able to scroll through the SYSTEMS and press a key which turns that one and only that one on, nice and simple. but if you try that that you end up with the nothing to scan message.

Marshall if everything is a work around or a hassel there is a problem, i think you like it because you got it figured out with all the tricks and cheats and all that, i am from the school that it should be a well tested and working well documented product. thats were we disagree, its obvious no offence that you belong to the i got this thing working club and that others have to pay some dues to get in.

UPMAN take sites out of the system scroll and add a macro for site scroll if its so important for undoing lockouts which i was told dont use, use quick keys..

Im going to document how hard this unit is to use with some videos on youtube. And how inconsistant it works.. I set the alert lights to red for an entire channel group of fire stations and half the time the screen stays its base color..

Put out a manual while your at it.

Thanks to eveyone who responded

Brett

Last edited:

W6KRU

in reality i should be able to scroll through the SYSTEMS and press a key which turns that one and only that one on, nice and simple. but if you try that that you end up with the nothing to scan message.
Brett

That statement alone proves that you didn't hear anything I've said. You don't turn systems off and on. You turn sites off and on. The systems are practically irrelevant in this situation.

If it worked as you stated above and you turned on a system, that would turn on hundreds of sites, even the ones you can't hear. ??????????????

JoeyC

Sounds like this guy needs to visit this thread. Sounds like he wants to invent his own scanner instead of LEARNING how to use and adapt to what thousands of other users have already determined to be effective.

brusso99

That statement alone proves that you didn't hear anything I've said. You don't turn systems off and on. You turn sites off and on. The systems are practically irrelevant in this situation.

If it worked as you stated above and you turned on a system, that would turn on hundreds of sites, even the ones you can't hear. ??????????????

your incorrect, the SELECT SYSTEM ONLY SHOWS SYSTEMS WITH ONE SITE, the multisite systems show as the towers themself. This is not logical. because the sites are in the system and this list does not let you know which system the site is on, perhaps if it moved the site down to where talk group goes when your selecting system and the system name was at the top so you know what system this site was in.. but it does not.. dont fool yourself this is a flaw they wont admit. its stupid.

IE

System 1 System 2 Primary Secondary East West Primary NORTH System 5 Alpha Primary Green System 7

makes no sense!!!!

as to the other comments "Sounds like he wants to invent his own scanner instead of LEARNING how to use and adapt to "

this is the exact mentality that has lead this entire country to accept crap, poor work and no one willing to be responsible for anything.. ADAPT, dont demand it work better, ADAPT. There is not a reason in the world that they cant take the Sites out of the SYSTEMS list and make this unit work smarter. What the shame is that so many people are having issues as you can see the post every single day on here. open your eyes. dont accept poor products, demand the best for your money,

the design is very poor and not thought out, everything is a work around and a fix. you think its the greatest thing since sliced bread im happy for you.

Last edited:

W6KRU

your incorrect, the SELECT SYSTEM ONLY SHOWS SYSTEMS WITH ONE SITE, the multisite systems show as the towers themself. This is not logical.

You are a hard person to help. You have had several knowledgeable people attempt to help you and they were all wrong.

I have also tried to help but you keep telling me I am wrong as well. I just looked at my scanner and verified that it does not show systems in the list of sites when I scroll through the system list. You are wrong.

I still haven't a clue what the use would be for scrolling through a list of systems on my scanner unless we are talking about a conventional system. The conventional systems and trunk systems display in a different way as they should.

W6KRU

I noticed that you edited your post and I think I understand what your real problem is now. There is no reason to use the system/site names that are in the RR database. Rename them to help you understand what you are doing. After spending a little time with your scanner, you will know which sites are in which systems. I struggled a little bit with the organization of my scanner at first. I eventually figured out something that made sense to me that I could implement.

I am guessing you never owned a scanner with banks and channels, and no alpha tags. These DMA scanners with alpha tags on everything are light years ahead of those scanners.

brusso99

Dan,

I relize there are people who are here to help but i think your swaping the terms..

Here this is the scroll selection system dialog.. what your seeing is the site Fascination which is a ship in the CarnIval CRS SYSTEM. Its like the tower I dont want to see that alone by itself on the screen this is all this is about.. I just want to see SYSTEM NAMES like CARNIVAL CRS, BOCA TRUNK, ETC why is it so hard to understand that from an orgainzation prospective and useablitly if your loading up the full memory that you need to beable to access better the list and selection of what you want to turn off or on.

The design is flawed and it should be changed.

Attachments

• CIMG0337.jpg
    CIMG0337.jpg
    68 KB · Views: 104

brusso99

Here is an image showing that the above picture is a site showing in the system select dialog.

Attachments

• Untitled-1.jpg
    Untitled-1.jpg
    51.2 KB · Views: 97

W6KRU

Brett, your problem has morphed significantly since your original post. At first you wanted to use the scroll knob to select systems to listen to and didn't want to use SQKs and GQKs. Now you just want the display to show you the system and site name at the same time. Those are two very different situations.

Just slow down a little bit and you will eventually get what you want. These things aren't toasters. There is a learning curve but it's not that bad. Learning the scanner is actually the easy part. The tougher part is interpreting what you hear on the scanner.

brusso99

eureka.. i wanted to select a system on or off with the scroll and when that was not possible i wanted to see all my systems on the scroll wheel without the sites all listed out.. now i want justice for all scanner owners everywhere (firmware updates).. thanks

KE4ZNR

Radio Geek
Premium Subscriber
eureka.. i wanted to select a system on or off with the scroll and when that was not possible i wanted to see all my systems on the scroll wheel without the sites all listed out.. now i want justice for all scanner owners everywhere (firmware updates).. thanks

You are going to be waiting a long time for that update. Paul (UPMan) has already stated in this thread:

We have no plans to change this operation, as it is operating as designed and intended.

The radio works as advertised and intended.
My suggestion would be to learn to use the radio as it is
and customize it to fit your area. :)
Happy Monitoring!
Marshall KE4ZNR

jclarkr6

...now i want justice for all scanner owners everywhere (firmware updates).. thanks

I'm quite happy with my with my BCD396XT, thank you. You certainly don't need to seek "justice" on my behalf. I went from using a BC95XLT to a BCD396XT (that's quite an upgrade). It took me awhile to learn how to properly utilize the BCD396XT, but eventually I found out that once I learned how to properly use the scanner, it was an amazing scanner that was even better than I imagined. I monitor several different trunking and analog systems and I have no problem selecting or deselecting sites, but I utilize the SQKs. No scanner is going to be perfect, but the BCD396XT (I know you have a 996XT) is a great scanner in my opinion. I hope that you are eventually able to learn how to use your scanner. I wish you the best of luck in your endeavor!

Note to Uniden and UPMan: Keep making great scanners! :D

sjlamb

This thread should be closed. All the questions have been answered and at this point, it has simply evolved into a "wish list". Four more pages of postings isn't going to change the reality or get the OP any closer to the satisfaction he seeks. The horse is dead.

Time to get back to problems with realistic solutions. Goin back to the Tiki Mar for another Bargarita....

Status
Not open for further replies.