Selecting a talkgroup to talk on? How?

Status
Not open for further replies.

mcjones94

Ok so I was wondering how people on the SRRCS (or any other system for that matter) choose which talkgroup to talk on?

For example, lets say that the fire department gets a call that requires a tac channel (A6). The commander talks to the firefighters on A6 and sometimes reports to dispatch on A2, but how does the radio know to talk on A2? Do their radio's have an option to select a talkgroup?

I know this might be a stupid question, but I've been wondering this for a while now.

Last edited:

kma371

QRT
Wirelessly posted (iPhone 3GS: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 3_1_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/528.18 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile/7E18 Safari/528.16)

It's all computer controlled. When he turns the radio to a particular channel, the computer picks what frequency is best and he transmits. Everyone else on that channel hears the transmission.

That's a pretty basic explanation of what's happening. I'm sure someone else can be more detailed, but that's pretty much it.

clanusb

Battalion chiefs have 2 radios. When they are on an incident that requires a tac channel, they use a 2nd radio for that channel.
They have 2 mobiles, and 2 portables. plus all the other equipment.
so one radio is always on A2 or A3 and the second radio is always on the tac channel.

So when you hear them giving updates to dispatch, they can still hear all the traffic on the tac channel via the other radio.

Regular Engines, Trucks, Rescues, Medics, etc only have 1 mobile and each member only has 1 portable. So these guys have to continuously switch between channels if they want to talk on another channel.

Sac916

Ok so I was wondering how people on the SRRCS (or any other system for that matter) choose which talkgroup to talk on?

how does the radio know to talk on A2? Do their radio's have an option to select a talkgroup?

A Talk Group is a channel. It's one of the same. Each radio on SRRCS has 16 channels, each channel is a talk group. If a Sheriff unit says to go to Channel 1 on their radio, they select channel one on the knob, which displays the talk group SD 1

http://img.en.china.cn/0/0,0,444,696,465,640,ec8d378e.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.