selective programming

Status
Not open for further replies.

hazmatman1

I have had scanners in the past where programming my scanner was simple. I am considering a Uniden 325p2 but after reading some of the programing specs HOLLY COW complicated.I woud like to know with some of the programming software programs can you pick and chose which talkgroups you get or is it a all or nothing deal. I drive a truck and go to 5 states wondering about having space for it all. I would just like pd disp for towns I del to.

marksmith

The 436 portable would be a better choice for you.

It's easier to program via computer and has national database on board.

325 p2 is a 396xt with p2 capability. Programming more manual. System size limitations, etc.

Costs more, but it is a better radio. You can give it a zipcode and it scans where you are.

You can plug in a GPS and it will scan where you are as you move.

536/436/ws1095/996p2/996xt/325p2/396xt/psr800/396t/HP-1/HP-2 & others

hiegtx

Mentor
Premium Subscriber
Do you have to enter other zip codes as you move? Not familiar with hooking a gps to unit.I am old school
Using a GPS is much easier than constantly entering new zip codes. You plug in the GPS, let the scanner use it, and you're off & running.

Also see these two threads, regarding having an internal GPS installed in the scanner:

https://forums.radioreference.com/u...-diy-gps-powered-bcd-436hp-make-yourself.html

https://forums.radioreference.com/uniden-tech-support/356032-internal-gps-mod-tech-support-q.html

ofd8001

Premium Subscriber
Do you have to enter other zip codes as you move? Not familiar with hooking a gps to unit.I am old school

Yes, assuming you are moving more than 10 miles or so away.

Connecting/using a GPS device is pretty much "plug and play".

If you are a traveling person, I'd highly recommend the 436 over the 325P2. The 325P2 has a lot more memory limitations than the 436. You have to be pretty creative to get around that when programming a 325 versus a 436.

Over time, the cost difference between the 436 and 325 closes. That's because to keep your 325 data current, you need to be an RR premium subscriber at a yearly cost. With the 436, the Sentinel program can access the RR database and there is no cost for that.

jonwienke

More Info Coming Soon!
I would recommend the 436 also. You can do a basic programming in a few minutes by entering your ZIP code, and selecting the categories of traffic (AKA Service Types) you want to hear. You can get much more in-depth if you make your own Favorite Lists, but doing so is optional.

Uniden offers an external GPS solution for $70-80 online. It includes the GPS receiver, a funky Y-cable that connects between the scanner, a 12V outlet, and the GPS receiver, and an adapter cable for connecting the Y-cable to the 436 and other handheld scanner models. It works, but you have a clutter of cables and it's not convenient to use if you're riding a train or bus or in a friend's car and want to listen to the scanner as you go.

As an alternative to the Uniden solution, I offer installation of a GPS receiver inside the scanner. It has the advantage of working wherever you take the scanner without any extra wires or power plugs needed, but has the disadvantages of voiding the warranty and reducing the battery life slightly when the GPS is turned on (if you are running the scanner on batteries). The threads in the previous post have more information about this option, particularly the second one, or you can PM me.

With either GPS solution, the scanner gets its current location from the GPS. It continuously compares its current location with entries in the database or favorite lists being scanned, and automatically turns on things that are nearby matching the Service Types you want to hear, and turns off things that are too far away to be received. With the main database, you can travel anywhere in the USA and Canada, and the scanner will continuously update what it monitors, so that you are always listening to local traffic as you go.

If you will never travel with your scanner, then GPS is not necessary. You can enter your ZIP code or your lat/lon coordinates to tell the scanner where it is located, and the scanner will continue to use that location until you manually enter a new location, or the scanner gets a location from a GPS.

If you choose to purchase a 436 or other scanner, you've already come to the best place for assistance learning how to use it.

ofd8001

Premium Subscriber
There is an additional adapter cable needed for use with portable scanners. It's the one that goes from the 9 pin RS232 connector, to the port on the scanner. I suggest checking with Amazon to confirm this cable is included.

marksmith

Doesn't show in the pucture, but the adapter came with it when I bought mine thru Amazon.

I believe I had the adapter ordered as well, and before I checked out was reading the reviews. Someone did whst I did and was advising everyone the adapter is included.

They have one listed as a GPS for the HP radios. Th as t is the option I purchased, and it came with adapter. When I go to the linked Amazon item it is telling me I purchased this one, so this one should include it.

536/436/ws1095/996p2/996xt/325p2/396xt/psr800/396t/HP-1/HP-2 & others

jonwienke

More Info Coming Soon!
The Amazon link I provided includes the adapter cable tor the 436 and other handhelds.

Status
Not open for further replies.