Selfridge/ Willow Run airshows 2017

Status
Not open for further replies.

Piston52Heavy

Don't know where any of that is as relates to the approach, I do know that sitting in a parking lot for hours on end for days in a row doesn't sound very enjoyable to me.

I'm confused. How do you not know where Cabela's is in relation to the approach? Cabela's is north of M-59, east of I-94 - just west of Runway 19. I would think it would be a great spot to get some nice photos and just to watch. Doesn't sound enjoyable? I can sit in my air conditioned car, listen to my scanner and wait for something to be on final approach and if need be, I can run into Cabela's and buy something cold to drink.

Last edited:

Xray

How do I not know where Cabellas is ?
Maybe because last time I was out that way was 3 years ago, and the only time I am out that way is for air shows ?
Hey, if a parking lot is good for you that suits me just fine, just trying to be helpful to fellow aircraft/scanning enthusiasts with what I consider the best spot by far. I bring a pop up shelter to shows and sometimes a cooking grill, not well suited to parking lots. Heat for asphalt on a hot day can drain ya, and my spot is literally right on the approach.

For all of those reasons and maybe a few more. I personally don't need to explore for other spots, I did that for years before coming up with this one.

Last show at Selfridge a guy from this forum drove in on a motorcycle from Ohio, he goes to alot of shows and said that is about the best spot he has ever seen.

Piston52Heavy

I knew my post was gonna sound offensive. Sorry about that. You seem pretty knowledgeable about the Sugarbush area so I figured you knew the area. The far east side of the Menard's parking lot is a good location as well. Is the Sugarbush location a good location for side views or are the planes directly over head?

Xray

No worries, am not very sensitive.

I know alot has changed around there and is always changing, I noticed a new road on google maps that connect 21 mile with [what should be] 20 mile.
I rarely ever head towards Gratiot unless I need gas or something, so I know next to nothing about those locations.

For years we used to watch shows right on 20 mile literally at the end of the runway [or on north river road on the other side].
Cops generally didn't mess with you as long as you were not parked right in front of the runway, which could block a set of lights for the pilot.
They eventually started moving people further and further down the road, and finally no parking or standing at all there. After that we started parking across the street from the boneyard, a few machine shops there.
Then we'd hike through the woods, pretty dense back then, I used to bring a machete along to clear a trail. We had to hop a big fence, then we ended up in a sand pit of sorts which is right behind where we used to watch in the street, and right in front of the Sugarbush site.
Sand pit is still there and is visible in the pic I posted.

Great spot, had a nice crest so cops couldn't see you. No shade though, and it was quite a hassle trekking through the woods. One year my uncle noticed a bunch of people watching the show behind a fence behind us, he says hey, I wonder how those people got back there ?
I said, don't know [and really didn't care].
He says, I'm going back there and ask them how they got there, I said have fun.
So he goes over there and a few minutes later he comes back and says you know what ? They said theres a road that runs all the way back here, and all this time we have been hiking through the woods like idiots !
He said, I'm gonna go back and drive my van around back there ,, He did, I managed to slither through the gate, and every since then we have been going to that spot, which itself is just a variation of other spots we have been forced out of over the years.

Trees there are a mixed blessing, nice shade but they do partially block your view. But thats easy enough to get around either by walking into the parking lot or going up the trail to the fence behind the sand pit.
Has a nice grassy knoll to pitch a sun shelter, kids if any have plenty of room to run around and play ball or whatever. Even some deer, wild roosters and jackals roaming around sometimes, pretty serene and isolated.
So after all of the ratty spots I have had over the years and all the effort into getting to them, I am very pleased with this spot and recommend it to others. First and foremost though is the view of aircraft, I don't compromise on that and would ditch this spot in a second if I though I could do any better.

In lieu of cops letting people park and watch from 20 mile rd again, which will never happen, this is as close to the approach as you can possibly get. I'm just worried they will block access to this spot, but I have the same worry every show and its all about nothing. Too many businesses and residences in the area for them to completely block it.

Last edited:

Xray

Friggin Phantom is nearly the main attraction for me, have had 100's of them fly low over my head over the years, quite a rush.
Always low and smokey, maybe the Phantom and F-100 will take the the skies at the same time.
Now that they killed the F-4 drone program, probably a matter of time before 0 are flying.

llwade

Premium Subscriber
thank you for the input. I was stationed at Selfridge AFB 66-68 and reminissed while you were telling everyone where to go. Loved being assigned to the Hospital Sq. and living off base in Mt Clemens. those were definately the good ole days

drdispatch

What's the frequency, Kenneth?
Premium Subscriber
Piston52Heavy, Xray; I'm with ya there!
Loved watching the Phantoms sortie in & out of Spangdahlem Air Base when I would visit there. Good times.
llwade; Greetings, fellow Airman!

I too can vouch for the Sugarbush location. Last airshow, on the Friday before when the Blue Angels were doing their orientation flight, I took my father and one of the BA on approach flew so low that I'm positive that he could have thrown a football into the air and hit the belly of the plane. You could see the pilot in the cockpit like you were standing next to the plane.

As an aside, and to hopefully help you plan your watching, here is the flight plan for the show, filed at sua.faa.gov.

https://sua.faa.gov/sua/tfrDetails.app?notamid=7/7692

The low flying aircraft sign was finally installed near the Metro Parkway exit on EB 94 yesterday as I passed by. The digital construction billboard on the shoulder of 94 west of the M59 EB exit stated that M59 EB would be closed starting tomorrow at times.

If I can shake free from work, I plan to watch from Sugarbush with the scanner and a cooler.

Last edited:

Xray

Still plan on going tomorrow, looks like we are going to get whomped by some rain just a question of when.

A couple shows ago this guy, must have worked at or owned one of the businesses off Sugarbush, went up in an articulating aerial lift to get a better view, bad idea. Had a couple kids with him too, probably up well over 50 ft.

Didn't last long, it was Fat Albert that sent him racing to the ground when it buzzed him and damn near clipped his rig.

And this....

...FROM MACOMB COUNTY DEPT OF ROADS: MACOMB COUNTY DEPARTMENT OF ROADS
ROAD CLOSURE AND TRAFFIC OPERATIONS
SELFRIDGE AIR NATIONAL GUARD BASE AIR SHOW
August 16, 2017

SPECIFIC ROAD/LANE CLOSURES AND TRAFFIC OPERATIONS AROUND HARRISON TOWNSHIP FOR AIR SHOW:

August 17, 2017 thru August 20, 2017:
EB I-94 to EB M-59 Exit Ramp closed Thursday (when flights begin arriving) thru Sunday.

August 17, 2017 thru August 20, 2017:
Rosso Highway from just east of I-94 to Jefferson closed Thursday (when flights begin arriving) thru Sunday.

August 19, 2017 thru August 20, 2017:
North River Road will be open to EB traffic only from Irwin Road to just west of Bridgeview at the SANGB gate on Saturday and Sunday (and for a couple of hours on Thursday and Friday (approx. 2-4pm).

August 19, 2017 thru August 20, 2017:
North River Road east of Bridgeview will be open for two way traffic, but must turn at Bridgeview on Saturday and Sunday (and for a couple of hours on Thursday and Friday (approx. 2-4pm).

Piston52Heavy

Just heard a Coast Guard helo report to Selfridge Tower about a possible drone roughly a half mile south of runway 19 at about 1200MSL. The pilot said they had to maneuver to avoid it. Selfridge Tower said they are investigating the incident. C'mon people!! Use your brain when flying a drone!

Xray

I was thinking about idiots with drones the other day, hoping the could restrain themselves.

I know they have software restrictions built in flying near airports but I'm sure there is a way around that, probably a matter of time before one of these idiots causes a crash.

Piston52Heavy

Still plan on going tomorrow, looks like we are going to get whomped by some rain just a question of when.

A couple shows ago this guy, must have worked at or owned one of the businesses off Sugarbush, went up in an articulating aerial lift to get a better view, bad idea. Had a couple kids with him too, probably up well over 50 ft.

Didn't last long, it was Fat Albert that sent him racing to the ground when it buzzed him and damn near clipped his rig.

That's a great story! Would've loved to seen that!!

Xray

Still undecided about tomorrow [THUR], really want to go.

Guess I'll see how the radar map looks in the morning, a variety of systems moving this way but most look on a trajectory to just glance the metro area or move through quick. But sometimes they form from outta nowhere, hard to tell.

Piston52Heavy

Well, let's wait and see what today's weather is gonna be like. Already poured this morning. As of now, it has stopped - for now.

Xray

Wow quite a day, got there a bit before noon and stayed to almost 8 pm.
Weather was a factor from about 1:30 to 3, after that sunny skies.

Arrivals as follows:

12:15 - f-84
12:20 - f-15E
12:45 - c-17 x2
1:10 - v-22
2:05 - f-16 callsign STING
2:15 - f-35 x2
2:20 - f-16 x2
3 pm - 4 tbirds went up but came right back down, not much rain but very low ceiling, terrible vis
5 pm - p-40
5:55 - f-100
6:59 - f-18 x2 tailcode AD
7:13 - f-18
7:15 - p-51
7:41 - f-86

Most just came in and landed with the exception of 1 OH F-16, I lost count after 10 passes, f-86 and f-100 also did a few.
Phantom and F-23 probably coming in tomorrow unless they came in after I left.

Freq use:

Sel

Last one is new for me, not in my logs at all and pretty active

Tbirds just 2 freqs, 141.175 and 235.25, they should really be hopping tomorrow to make up for lost time

Status
Not open for further replies.