QRP Sell my Yaesu FT817 and get the Icom 705?

Status
Not open for further replies.

K2KOH

Premium Subscriber
Any thoughts on this. The 817 is nice, but seeing the videos of the IC-705 are really whetting my appetite for a new rig. Thoughts are welcome

MTS2000des

5B2_BEE00 Czar
I sold my 817ND to get a 705 and haven't looked back. The 705 is miles above the 817/818 technology wise. You also get double the power (10 watts) on all bands. But that's just the beginning: Bluetooth audio/control, WiFi for remote control/operation, a much better battery system, Icom leads the way. It was said that the IC-705 is what happened when an IC-7300 and IC-9700 got together on a desk, made whoppie and out popped a baby. (Minus 1.2GHz but who cares).

MDScanFan

Go for it. I previously owned a 817 (years ago) and currently own a 705. The 705 is an amazing radio I highly recommend. I would consider it one of the best, if not the best, radio purchases I have made. Thus far I have only used it for receiving (LW, MW, HF, aero, etc). Sensitivity is excellent. The feature set is impressive. I especially like the large touch spectrum screen, wideband coverage, portable form factor, decent battery life, and quality build.

The 817 has had a good run. In terms of feature set and display the 705 and 817 is a night and day difference. The big plusses I see for the 817 are the much lower cost on the used market and its very robust for backpacking/portable use.

MFG_rrt

Just got mine in today. It's a little heavier than I was hoping, but I know I'm going to enjoy. The carry case by Peovi is a must! It's the perfect companion and doesn't add much weight. I can't wait to start playing with this thing, really nice that I can charge the battery on my desk at work with a micro-usb!

I had a 7300 in the past so I'm familiar with the interface. I also have the TX-500 from Lab599 coming so I'm looking forward to how they compare and contrast.

K2KOH

Premium Subscriber
Just brought mine home from HRO Salem. Same here, can't wait to play. I bought the RTS Software, and I'm going to read the manual on this one LOL. Ordered the bracket from Windcamp on ebay to use the Comet Toybox antenna, also got the Peovi as well as the backpack. I already have a Bioenno battery. Ready for QRP!

MFG_rrt

Just brought mine home from HRO Salem. Same here, can't wait to play. I bought the RTS Software, and I'm going to read the manual on this one LOL. Ordered the bracket from Windcamp on ebay to use the Comet Toybox antenna, also got the Peovi as well as the backpack. I already have a Bioenno battery. Ready for QRP!
Nice! I'm considering Bioenno as well, have the Chameleon MPAS antenna system, and I'm now considering bags/packs.

prcguy

The Yaesu FT-817 was state of the art 20yrs ago when it was first introduced but by todays standards its not very impressive and kind of boring. Not only are the features of the 705 light years ahead of an 817, the transmitter and receiver performance is way better.

K2KOH

Premium Subscriber
When I saw DStar over wifi I was like whoa. My 817 is going to become my " mobile" radio. Has a sentimental value to it. Made some awesome contacts from Marconi Beach in Cape Cod

wa8pyr

Technischer Guru
Staff member
Lead Database Admin
Any thoughts on this. The 817 is nice, but seeing the videos of the IC-705 are really whetting my appetite for a new rig. Thoughts are welcome

I've had an 817ND for several years and bought a 705 last year. Love both of them.

The 705 is quite a bit larger and somewhat heavier so I use it for situations where I can go to a picnic table close to the parking area (or my yard/back patio). I use the 817 in situations where I might want to load stuff into a backpack and walk a trail to a picnic table somewhere, where I can toss a wire over a tree.

prcguy

When I first saw the Peovi I thought what an expensive and ridiculous looking thing that is. I'll just wait for my buddy who sells the Gemsproducts Side KX side panels for the Elecraft line with handles to come out. I had a conversation with that guy and offered to help with the design but due to complications interfacing the KX3 type panels to the 705 he went with a Peovi mount and partnered with Peovi to develop a Lexan type snap on protective cover, since he's now an expert with that. So I bought a Peovi and also have a prototype snap on cover from Gemsproducts here until the production units are ready.

The Peovi cage thing is expensive but when you hold one in your hand the first thoughts are how can they sell it so cheap? The quality and workmanship is first class and it would be really expensive and complicated to try and reproduce one. It mounts securely and provides the needed protection for the 705 front panel and knobs. You can leave the top swivel handle off to save a little weight and it doesn't weight that much to start with. The 705 is not an ultralight radio like the Elecraft KX2 so for me the Peovi cage is not a problem With the snap on cover that's coming out soon you would be able to toss the radio in a tool box and have it bounce around with screwdrivers and wrenches and never have to worry about hurting the front panel or knobs.

Windcamp also has a cage that gives the Piovi a run for the money, though the Piovi is American made and can be customized with your call sign.

MTS2000des

5B2_BEE00 Czar
I said the same thing when I got my Piovi cage...it exudes a quality that is far above what they sell it for. I'd welcome a front cover but mostly mine just gets moved around the house and taken on field trips riding in the seat of my Explorer.

tweiss3

Is it time for Coffee?
Premium Subscriber
I've had an 817ND for several years and bought a 705 last year. Love both of them.

The 705 is quite a bit larger and somewhat heavier so I use it for situations where I can go to a picnic table close to the parking area (or my yard/back patio). I use the 817 in situations where I might want to load stuff into a backpack and walk a trail to a picnic table somewhere, where I can toss a wire over a tree.
This, plus 6m/2m/70cm from the front port whip antenna out of the box is huge as well.

kinglou0

I use the 817 in situations where I might want to load stuff into a backpack and walk a trail to a picnic table somewhere, where I can toss a wire over a tree.

Biggest plus for the Yaesu. It’s built like a tank. Toss it in a pack and head into the woods.

MFG_rrt

Hopefully Yaesu will come out an a true 705 competitor. Would be great if they integrated some of the ruggedness design concepts from the TX-500 by Lab599.

Status
Not open for further replies.