Sell Whistler TRX-2 to Fund Uniden SDS-200

Status
Not open for further replies.

Aegir

I’m looking for an upgrade. Is the Uniden SDS200 that much of an improvement over the Whistler TRX-2? What are the pros and cons? Has anyone switched and regretted it? Is anyone currently using both scanners and doing side be side comparisons?
Thabks
Bryne
N7BB

Aegir

I appreciate the responses. Some reasons why besides eye candy? Is it a better performer overall? Anyone ever done a side by side comparison?

hiegtx

Mentor
Premium Subscriber
I appreciate the responses. Some reasons why besides eye candy? Is it a better performer overall? Anyone ever done a side by side comparison?
I don't have the TRX-2, but do have it's handheld sibling, the TRX-1.

My TRX-1 sits there, mute, while my SDS200 is receiving transmissions on the same system the TRX is set to scan. The 200 is also picking up systems, using a telescoping antenna, that some of the other scanners either had trouble with, or did not receive at all. The SDS200 seems to be much more sensitive on 700 & 800MHz trunked systems.

I've seen comments stating that the SDS200 and SDS100 lag on receiving air, Vhf, & Uhf signals, but I have not had those issues. However, most of the channels in those bands that I monitor are either close, have a strong signal, or both of those factors.

YoShep69

Premium Subscriber
Yes, if you have simulcast issues it is a better performer. And the display is nice eye candy.

Greg

Aegir

I don't have the TRX-2, but do have it's handheld sibling, the TRX-1.

My TRX-1 sits there, mute, while my SDS200 is receiving transmissions on the same system the TRX is set to scan. The 200 is also picking up systems, using a telescoping antenna, that some of the other scanners either had trouble with, or did not receive at all. The SDS200 seems to be much more sensitive on 700 & 800MHz trunked systems.

I've seen comments stating that the SDS200 and SDS100 lag on receiving air, Vhf, & Uhf signals, but I have not had those issues. However, most of the channels in those bands that I monitor are either close, have a strong signal, or both of those factors.
This is great information to consider. Thank you

ansky

The SDS200 performs very well on P25 simulcast systems. However it is terrible in the 460-480 band in high RF areas. I live right outside NYC and all the NYPD frequencies are virtually unlistenable due to intermod.

TailGator911

Silent Key/KF4ANC
However it is terrible in the 460-480 band in high RF areas.

Maybe for you in your particular circumstances. I am in high RF area nearby major military base and 460 band is just fine on all SDS scanners. Not fair to make that an assumption for everyone based on your own reception issues. As noted here so many times, all SDR scanner reception performance is unique to listener's location, equipment, settings, filters, etc etc. To say 'all' SDS scanners have 'terrible' reception in 460 band just does not apply in all situations. Only yours. Certainly not mine. Just sayin, I am running 3 SDS scanners with good reception on 460 band, 150 band, 2m band, etc. Your statement does not apply to me, and most likely quite a few others. For someone researching an SDS scanner for their own sake, it is a good idea to go ahead and buy the scanner (from a reputable dealer with clear return policy) and simply return it if it doesn't work for you. Your individual circumstances are just that. I am finding that all SDS scanner owners have a different perspective on performance quality, and it all depends on their unique settings, location, filters, antennas, etc etc. To take other people's negative reviews to heart and base your buying information on a few inaccurate statements might only cheat you out of the best scanner on the market today. Just MHO only...

JD
kf4anc

Joe_Blough

Whistler is more sensitive on dmr and uniden is better at p25 simulcast. Depends what system you want to monitor. But definitely whistler wins dmr hands down.
Hmm, interesting. I am mainly interested in dmr so now you have me seriously considering the TRX-2. Don't know if the issues with the SDS200 are ever going to be addressed.

mrhermit

Premium Subscriber
I have been looking on the Uniden site for about the last 10 days and it is showing that the SDS200 is Sold Out. I am wondering if Uniden might be making some modifications to the scanner to address the complaints that some owners have had.

Joe_Blough

I have been looking on the Uniden site for about the last 10 days and it is showing that the SDS200 is Sold Out. I am wondering if Uniden might be making some modifications to the scanner to address the complaints that some owners have had.

I just checked all the retailers of scanners I could think of and all of them have it in stock. I remember seeing a message here that Uniden gives preference to their sellers as far as stock goes. I don't know how usual or unusual it is for Uniden to be out of stock.

I'd think if this is the case we should start seeing the retailers running out of stock.

maus92

Premium Subscriber
The Uniden site shows out-of-stock for lots of items. Stocking their distributors takes priority over Uniden's own webstore, plus they are not in the business of competing with their retail network. Buy from a reputable dealer.

maus92

Premium Subscriber
I’m looking for an upgrade. Is the Uniden SDS200 that much of an improvement over the Whistler TRX-2? What are the pros and cons? Has anyone switched and regretted it? Is anyone currently using both scanners and doing side be side comparisons?
Thabks
Bryne
N7BB
Whistlers don't work well with the P25 simulcast systems in our area - tons of complaints which are usually solved by acquiring a SDS or Unication radio.

wbswetnam

Whistlers don't work well with the P25 simulcast systems in our area

Agreed. I had a TRX-1, and it choked on the Little Rock simulcast system. It was completely silent, for hours. It even choked on an ANALOG Motorola system in Hot Springs! I had an old analog RS Pro-94 sitting right next to it which was monitoring the same system, no problem. I sold the TRX-1; good riddance to it.

samcken

Premium Subscriber
I picked up a TRX2-2 at the scratch and dent site. It worked great, much better than my upgraded pro668, psr 600, or older Radio Shack scanners EXCEPT for the CSERN simulcast (P25 phase 2). Nothing I tried worked with the simulcast. Other things I scanned were air, marine, and general public service. Years of parenting a son paid off and he gifted me with an SDS-200. Does it do the simulcast? Yes. Does it do it 100%? No. But I would give it an A, though not an A+. I suspect my location may contribute to the few issues I hear. So, if you don't have simulcast, I suggest you post on the state forum here at RR for local user's opinions. If you are dealing with simulcast, my experience says you must have the 200.

KeithKenobi

Premium Subscriber
What about displaying DMR Color/Slot/ID etc? And Trunking system info etc. IE EVERTHING one would need to program a Motorola radio to the system for all modes.
Also, do they both display the PL/DPL P25 NAC etc that is received? IE if listening to a shared frequency, will is show the PL/DPL of each user and type of Digital mode on a mixed mode frequency? And do this on regular memory channels? Not just in some special mode.
Example, I load a bunch of Itenerant channels and scan them, and will it display all of the above on each signal?

Status
Not open for further replies.