Semi dumb question (s)

Status
Not open for further replies.

krazykop1299

I'm semi new to scanning, used to have both a hand held and base station scanner, but, that was in the days before digital came along.

Anyway, as soon as I get my tax refund, I'm planning on buying Pro-106 scanner. My question is, what does the computer software do, if I decide to buuy it. I assume it makes setting it up easier, but,just trying to decide if I want to get it.

Also, I'm interested in becoming a premium member, but, as observent as I am, I didn't see any information, so if someone can point me in the right direction, I'd appriciate it.

Thanks a lot.

andy

Oh yeah, I'm in the Eugene/Lane County Oregon area.

fxdscon

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Premium Subscriber
I'm semi new to scanning, used to have both a hand held and base station scanner, but, that was in the days before digital came along.

Anyway, as soon as I get my tax refund, I'm planning on buying Pro-106 scanner. My question is, what does the computer software do, if I decide to buuy it. I assume it makes setting it up easier, but,just trying to decide if I want to get it.

Also, I'm interested in becoming a premium member, but, as observent as I am, I didn't see any information, so if someone can point me in the right direction, I'd appriciate it.

Thanks a lot.

andy

And here is some information about using the programming features of Radio Reference once you become a premium member.

Programming Your Scanner With the Web service

ermin

Anyway, as soon as I get my tax refund, I'm planning on buying Pro-106 scanner. My question is, what does the computer software do, if I decide to buy it. I assume it makes setting it up easier, but,just trying to decide if I want to get it.

Thanks a lot.

andy

Hello krazykop1299

Welcome to RR and the wonderful world of scanning.

If your area has a large trunked trunked system get the software. (here is your area system Eugene-Lane County Shared Public Safety LMR Trunking System, Eugene, Oregon - Scanner Frequencies)

Not familier with this system so I don't know if the 106 works with your new county trunked system. If you go into the Oregon group you can get local help there.

I can say the software really made my scanner much more enjoyable to use. Being a premium RR user will make your programming a lot easier.

Ermin

ratboy

Premium Subscriber
The software, whichever one you get, makes setting up the radio much much much easier. That alone is well worth the price. Not to mention seeing everything almost at once makes using the radio much more pleasant.

Using the RR database is worth the price of the subscription, no doubt about it.

b52hbuff

Premium Subscriber

Not sure if any of these compatible programs are free or if they had trial periods.
Object Oriented Scanner Software - The RadioReference Wiki

But another useful feature of the programming software is that if you enjoy exploring and experimenting with software on a PC, you can learn a lot about how the scanner programming works. It is easier to play on the desktop than to play on the scanner.

If nothing else, there is a lot more screen area available to see how the data is organized in the radio...

Status
Not open for further replies.