Semi-Newbie

Status
Not open for further replies.

sherlock2667

I own a Radio Shack Pro 106. For some unknown reason, today, I started getting a lot of static and the squelch button didn't solve the problem. Being fairly unfamiliar, I reset my scanner to the factory defaults. I wemt to upload the frequencies, but nothing is happening on the scanner end. Any suggestions would be most appreciated.

Thanx for your time.

Highpockets

I own a Radio Shack Pro 106. For some unknown reason, today, I started getting a lot of static and the squelch button didn't solve the problem. Being fairly unfamiliar, I reset my scanner to the factory defaults. I wemt to upload the frequencies, but nothing is happening on the scanner end. Any suggestions would be most appreciated.

Thanx for your time.

When you say nothing happening on the scanner end, what do you mean?

What software are you using?

Have you uploaded to your scanner before with software? Did you plug the cable into the PC/IF port on the scanner, take pig-tail off the cable end that plugs into the scanner?

We need more.

sherlock2667

My apologies for not having been more clear.

Referring to nothing happening on the scanner, I should have said it's not indicating that frequencies are being received by the scanner. My computer indicates that it is sending the frequencies. In the past, it always told me % completed on my scanner.

I am using ARC500. It has worked in the past and even today. I wasn't sure why, all of a sudden I was getting a lot of static so I uploaded the frequencies. That didn't resolve the static issues, so I reset my scanner back to factory defaults. Now, as I mentioned, the scanner is not accepting the frequencies from my computer. I checked and do have the latest release of the software.

Thanx for your timely response. It is greatly appreciated.

Ron

Highpockets

My apologies for not having been more clear.

Referring to nothing happening on the scanner, I should have said it's not indicating that frequencies are being received by the scanner. My computer indicates that it is sending the frequencies. In the past, it always told me % completed on my scanner.

I am using ARC500. It has worked in the past and even today. I wasn't sure why, all of a sudden I was getting a lot of static so I uploaded the frequencies. That didn't resolve the static issues, so I reset my scanner back to factory defaults. Now, as I mentioned, the scanner is not accepting the frequencies from my computer. I checked and do have the latest release of the software.

Thanx for your timely response. It is greatly appreciated.

Ron

I have no answer for you, even after you explained it better. The only thing I would try if I was having that problem is:

Close down the software program, unplug the cable, turn off the scanner and start the process all over. Plug in cable, turn on scanner, plug cable into scanner, start software, open file and try to upload it again.

If that don't work, I hope others have better ideas then I have, sorry!

sherlock2667

Steve:

Per your suggestion(s), I did as instructed. I still get no indication that the scanner is receiving anything. I appreciate your advise. Thanx again.

I'll hope someone else might have a suggestion or 2.

Regards,

Ron

Highpockets

Steve:

Per your suggestion(s), I did as instructed. I still get no indication that the scanner is receiving anything. I appreciate your advise. Thanx again.

I'll hope someone else might have a suggestion or 2.

Regards,

Ron

God, I hate to just throw in the towel. When you hit upload to scanner, is it showing the % across the screen that it's uploading.

When done, if you hit scan does it say nothing enabled?

I'm sure the com port is correct and the cable is working, do the lights on the cable flicker?

sherlock2667

I repeated your instructions again and everything worked. I am getting all the frequencies, BUT, still have static that is unbearable. Squelch knob doesn't help. Any suggestions on that issue then I won't bother you again.

The issue centered around using the wrong USB port. Kind of hard to explain, but it was the USB port.

My son is on local police department and I use my scanner to keep track of him. Your assistance and advise has been most appreciated.

Regards,

Ron

Highpockets

I repeated your instructions again and everything worked. I am getting all the frequencies, BUT, still have static that is unbearable. Squelch knob doesn't help. Any suggestions on that issue then I won't bother you again.

The issue centered around using the wrong USB port. Kind of hard to explain, but it was the USB port.

My son is on local police department and I use my scanner to keep track of him. Your assistance and advise has been most appreciated.

Regards,

Ron

The static issue may be location, try moving the scanner to a different location, or try a different antenna. At least we made some progress. Or maybe your getting to much signal, try the ATT on one of the channels you get static on.

sherlock2667

ATT made no change. I'll have to wait until tomorrow to check/buy a new antenna. Also, need batteries to re-charge to change locations. I am disabled and can't get on floor to unplug it. No biggie. You've been more than gracious and helpful. Your help is appreciated beyond words.

Thanx again.

Regards.

Ron

Highpockets

ATT made no change. I'll have to wait until tomorrow to check/buy a new antenna. Also, need batteries to re-charge to change locations. I am disabled and can't get on floor to unplug it. No biggie. You've been more than gracious and helpful. Your help is appreciated beyond words.

Thanx again.

Regards.

Ron

I'll keep an eye on this thread, and help as much as I can, others will have input also, I'm sure. Hang in there... :)

sherlock2667

I sent the *.gr5 file. Let me know if you got it. I didn't zip it. If that's a problem, plz let me know. I'm working off two (2) computers.

Thanx.

Ron

Not sure *.gr5 are acceptable attachment forms.

fmon

Silent Key Jan. 14, 2012
I sent the *.gr5 file. Let me know if you got it. I didn't zip it. If that's a problem, plz let me know. I'm working off two (2) computers.

Thanx.

Ron

Not sure *.gr5 are acceptable attachment forms.
Either zip it or change to .txt after .gr5. Example=your file.gr5.txt

I will download then remove .txt leaving your file.gr5

Status
Not open for further replies.