Seminole County Florida Sheriffs Copter

Status
Not open for further replies.

RFI-EMI-GUY

I finally got a new BCD536HP and am back scanning this system as I did in the analog days.

Where I live seems to be a confluence for folks bailing from stolen cars. I used to be able to listen to the SCSO helicopter radio traffic as they orbited overhead. I can still receive my city police, but the chopper talk group is absent.

Help!

bravo14

Premium Subscriber
I finally got a new BCD536HP and am back scanning this system as I did in the analog days.

Where I live seems to be a confluence for folks bailing from stolen cars. I used to be able to listen to the SCSO helicopter radio traffic as they orbited overhead. I can still receive my city police, but the chopper talk group is absent.

Help!

Have you checked out this system the county is using

Seminole County Public Services P25 Trunking System, Sanford, Florida - Scanner Frequencies

Looks like they are all Digital.

bravo14

Premium Subscriber
I have a digital scanner and nothing is listed as encrypted so what I need is the talkgroup/channel the helicopter operates on.

I'm not sure if they got their own TG. Most cities or counties the copters use the main channel or tac. Most places use Air One so keep a ear out for that.

RFI-EMI-GUY

I'm not sure if they got their own TG. Most cities or counties the copters use the main channel or tac. Most places use Air One so keep a ear out for that.

My local main channel and tac were quiet during the helo operations making me wonder if the QSY'd to some unpublished channel.

I used to be able to tell the helo by the back ground noise and the mike audio which sounded like noise cancelling.

IMPRES2

Search before you ask

My local main channel and tac were quiet during the helo operations making me wonder if the QSY'd to some unpublished channel.

Listen, I caught through the grapevine that you live in the East Region of Seminole County (Oviedo area).

The Seminole County Helicopters have radio IDs of "Alert 1" and "Alert 2". I organized and constantly maintain the Wiki Pages for Seminole County and can confirm that all the talkgroups on the Wiki page are correct and NOT encrypted.

Alert's home channel is D19E SO5, when Alert is needed by an agency they are hailed on D19E SO5 and are asked to come up on whichever channel the requesting agency is using. There is no specific talkgroup dedicated to the helicopters.

I strongly suggest you review the Wiki pages for Seminole County; they contain a wholesome of useful information that would answer most if not all of your questions

RFI-EMI-GUY

Listen, I caught through the grapevine that you live in the East Region of Seminole County (Oviedo area).

The Seminole County Helicopters have radio IDs of "Alert 1" and "Alert 2". I organized and constantly maintain the Wiki Pages for Seminole County and can confirm that all the talkgroups on the Wiki page are correct and NOT encrypted.

Alert's home channel is D19E SO5, when Alert is needed by an agency they are hailed on D19E SO5 and are asked to come up on whichever channel the requesting agency is using. There is no specific talkgroup dedicated to the helicopters.

I strongly suggest you review the Wiki pages for Seminole County; they contain a wholesome of useful information that would answer most if not all of your questions

Thanks for the help; That appears to be "Patrol" so I have set a visual alert on that TG so I can watch for it. My first indication of trouble around here is often the chopper making orbits overhead. Joe

TEH

Seminole Sheriff helo talkgroups

As far as I know, there is no talkgroup specifically for Seminole Sheriff helo. The helo responds to incidents to assist units on the ground, and uses the Seminole Co Sheriff talkgroup, or city police talkgroup that the ground units are using to work that particular incident.

In the Dec 22 pursuit that started in Orange Co and ended in Seminole County...Orange Co Sheriff units began this, and all agencies assisting were probably patched to the Orange Co Sheriff talkgroup (unknown if patrol or special unit talkgroup, since all of these talkgroups are encrypted). Mutual aid channels & talkgroups were also used. Seminole Shf helo likely was using the Orange Co Sheriff talkgroup that was being used, in order to be in constant touch with the Orange Shf helo and ground units trying to capture attempted murder suspect Garrison Cooke. Ground units may also have switched to the Orange Sheriff talkgroup used for the operation if their radios are programmed with the talkgroup used.

In this pursuit, agencies such as FHP; Oviedo PD, and UCF PD, might have switched to the talkgroup used by OCSO units, or used their own talkgroups, getting updates from their agencies' dispatchers as the suspect fled and was captured. UCF PD and FHP are also encrypted, so I don't know what talkgroups or channels they used.

IMPRES2

Irrelevant information, this thread should be closed as the question was answered.

As far as I know, there is no talkgroup specifically for Seminole Sheriff helo. The helo responds to incidents to assist units on the ground, and uses the Seminole Co Sheriff talkgroup, or city police talkgroup that the ground units are using to work that particular incident.

In this pursuit, agencies such as FHP; Oviedo PD, and UCF PD, might have switched to the talkgroup used by OCSO units, or used their own talkgroups, getting updates from their agencies' dispatchers as the suspect fled and was captured. UCF PD and FHP are also encrypted, so I don't know what talkgroups or channels they used.

Seminole County used a Metro mutual aid channel to coordinate with Orange County, they then switched back to Seminole's 19A and worked off of that. FHP doesn't patch with Orange nor Seminole; the FHP cars get information relayed to them through CAD or their comm center.

The Wiki will be updated on 01/01/2017 with new information for Seminole County and Orange Count; you can watch list the pages you like to always be aware of updates as they are made.

RFI-EMI-GUY

Thanks to your recent help; I now have not only ID'd the Patrol TG needed to hear the copters, I have the six Unid ID's for "Alert 1 and Alert 2" labeled and have the Alert (coincidental!) Light on the receiver programmed when they key up on any TG!

radioguru6613

When in doubt always check VHF Air Channels 123.025 Helo and 122.750 Fixed Wing, more often than not you'll catch more chatter between the pilots than anything on the ground. Even the media will check in with the LE and FD copters on those channels because they know they are usually not being monitored. Some agencies have adopted some out of the norm channels still in the 122-123 range for their "company" work ie multiple aircraft from the same department so it's not a bad idea to scan that segment when you know aircraft are up. As always it's AM not FM.

When in doubt always check VHF Air Channels 123.025 Helo and 122.750 Fixed Wing, more often than not you'll catch more chatter between the pilots than anything on the ground. Even the media will check in with the LE and FD copters on those channels because they know they are usually not being monitored. Some agencies have adopted some out of the norm channels still in the 122-123 range for their "company" work ie multiple aircraft from the same department so it's not a bad idea to scan that segment when you know aircraft are up. As always it's AM not FM.

Back in the Midwest, they all used 123.025 to coordinate the airspace and make sure they all kept clear of each other. They seemed to be a tight group out there and the LE, medevac, and media pilots all seemed to know each other pretty well. It was definitely a frequency worth listening to.

Status
Not open for further replies.