• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Sencore CB-41 SWR/Wattmeter

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dawn

I picked up one of these meters from a Veteran's thrift shop for 35 bucks. Pretty beat up on the outside and lots of UV browning to the plastic buttons, but the sliding panel must have been used as the plastic is good and the scale unfaded. Like anything Sencore, the switches really needed some heavy duty cleaning before anything worked and was reliable. Completely disassembled and scrubbed, it doesn't look too bad. Inside was clean and in pretty nice condition.

Surprisingly, it tracked a Bird termaline pretty accurately just as is in average mode. I wound up doing the cal on it anyways after I bought a manual copy. This is one really nice meter and pretty gutsy inside for a wattmeter with a rather elaborate meter amp and peak detecting circuit, not the typical pair of time constant caps in peak mode. I can see why they fetch such high prices on E-bay in good condition and probably went for some big bucks new. The remote directional coupler makes this a joy to have on the bench rather then having to run cables to the meter. It even has a built in dummy load if you want to use it as a terminating watt meter. They apparently sold an extention cord for the coupler to work on vehicles. Nice touch if you had to work alone tuning an antenna.

I've never been much of a fan of anything Sencore made, but I'd certainly give this one a thumbs up. It's limited to only 20 watts, but that can easily be overcome with a power attenuator or modificaton for a 200W scale. These will suck two 9V batteries dry in no time, but you can use a wall wart with it for bench or station use. If you come by one of these, by all means buy it, but get a hypodermic needle and small bottle of Deoxit. You're going to need it.

JayMojave

Hello Dawn: Good info on the Sencore -41 Test Meter, got a diagram you can post?

I came across a Johnson Test Meter and it was a little beat up, but fully operational. I have it setting on one of my shelves on the radio designing, fixing, and playing bench. I have a radio tuned into the local CB Channel 38 LSB and connected to the Johnson Test Meter in Dummy Load Mode. This attenuates the input signal quit a bit allowing a S4 meter reading on the radio, allowing a good reference to what my signal sounds like, over a pair of head sets.

I have a few of the old General Radiotelephone Meters, Model 615 A, B, and C models. Comparing them to a new Bird 43 Wattmeter I noticed approx. 1 dB (17%) higher wattage reading than the Bird Model 43. These are also great meters to have and use,

I also used it for keeping an eye on my field strength when transmitting, kind of neat.

Jay in the Mojave

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.