Seneca County NY out of county feed providers

Status
Not open for further replies.

firemansteve6921

Feed Provider
Feed Provider
I am the feed provider for Seneca County NY and have been for about a year and a few months now. The question I have is why other counties also provide the feed for Seneca county while providing one for their own. This really isn't a huge deal but it just seems unnecessary. The trouble is when listening to Cayuga County NY or Ontario County NY I often hear Seneca county because they both provide a feed for them. Is there a way to stop this from continuing? I know that they can monitor whatever they want and provide a feed for it too. I have sent both of them private message's in the past and I have not gotten a response. thanks for any help or ideas.

This is what I have been thinking about:

1. if two other counties have a feed for Seneca county then why do I?
2. when other counties have their neighboring county in their feed it seems that their could be a lot of confusion from listeners.
3. when other counties have their neighboring counties in their feed then a lot of communications are missed due to unnecessary radio traffic from out of county chatter.
4. I'm not upset, mad or anything I'm just trying to make the user experience better.

Spitfire8520

I might be completely clueless! =)
I am the feed provider for Seneca County NY and have been for about a year and a few months now. The question I have is why other counties also provide the feed for Seneca county while providing one for their own. This really isn't a huge deal but it just seems unnecessary. The trouble is when listening to Cayuga County NY or Ontario County NY I often hear Seneca county because they both provide a feed for them. Is there a way to stop this from continuing? I know that they can monitor whatever they want and provide a feed for it too. I have sent both of them private message's in the past and I have not gotten a response. thanks for any help or ideas.

I believe that there is nothing in the terms of service for feed providers explicitly preventing feeds from providing duplicate services as long as they aren't setup exactly the same. I believe the only way to solve the issue is to continue to attempt to communicate with other feed providers or simply accept that you have no control over those feeds.

That being said, I took a look at your area feeds and it actually looks like both the feeds you are referencing have been streaming their feeds longer than your feed has been up. A lot of the older feeds are setup to cover a much larger area when scanner feeds were not as popular and there weren't a massive amount of selection a few years ago. Many providers try to fill the gap by adding multiple counties to their feed to both increase traffic to their feeds as well as attempting to provide coverage for other counties that didn't have preexisting feeds. Some of these providers may not want to change their setups as their listener count may suffer or that they feel like they need to continue providing the feed that their dedicated listeners are expecting.

1. if two other counties have a feed for Seneca county then why do I?
2. when other counties have their neighboring county in their feed it seems that their could be a lot of confusion from listeners.
3. when other counties have their neighboring counties in their feed then a lot of communications are missed due to unnecessary radio traffic from out of county chatter.
4. I'm not upset, mad or anything I'm just trying to make the user experience better.

It's really up to you if you want to continue you feed if you feel your feed is unnecessary. However, it is important to note that your feed is more of a specific feed dedicated to a single county and therefore will provide more relevant audio traffic for local listeners. I usually consider such feeds of much greater value than the wide area feeds, especially if something big comes up.

It should be remembered that all feeds are setup by volunteers who dedicate their own equipment and their own time to manage the feeds. That means that they are ultimately responsible for what they think their equipment will be best used for. If they think that it's greater benefit for them to cover multiple counties, then there's nothing here to stop them from doing so.

firemansteve6921

Feed Provider
Feed Provider
I believe that there is nothing in the terms of service for feed providers explicitly preventing feeds from providing duplicate services as long as they aren't setup exactly the same. I believe the only way to solve the issue is to continue to attempt to communicate with other feed providers or simply accept that you have no control over those feeds.

------I know there is nothing in the rules on this but I was just asking in general if what I was thinking makes more sense than having multi county feeds is all.

That being said, I took a look at your area feeds and it actually looks like both the feeds you are referencing have been streaming their feeds longer than your feed has been up. A lot of the older feeds are setup to cover a much larger area when scanner feeds were not as popular and there weren't a massive amount of selection a few years ago. Many providers try to fill the gap by adding multiple counties to their feed to both increase traffic to their feeds as well as attempting to provide coverage for other counties that didn't have preexisting feeds. Some of these providers may not want to change their setups as their listener count may suffer or that they feel like they need to continue providing the feed that their dedicated listeners are expecting.

------I know both out of county feed providers have been up longer than me but I have been here over a year now and it just seems redundant for them to provide a duplicate feed is all.

It's really up to you if you want to continue you feed if you feel your feed is unnecessary. However, it is important to note that your feed is more of a specific feed dedicated to a single county and therefore will provide more relevant audio traffic for local listeners. I usually consider such feeds of much greater value than the wide area feeds, especially if something big comes up.

-----I will probably keep my feed up anyway just because it doesn't matter either way if its there or not to me. the computer is on and so is the scanner so why not provide a link to broadcastify.

It should be remembered that all feeds are setup by volunteers who dedicate their own equipment and their own time to manage the feeds. That means that they are ultimately responsible for what they think their equipment will be best used for. If they think that it's greater benefit for them to cover multiple counties, then there's nothing here to stop them from doing so.

-----I know this because I am one of them.

thank you for your input.

Status
Not open for further replies.