Seneca County ohio

snapperq

Premium Subscriber
Yes, I know it’s NXDN48 which is a narrow band. But what I’m trying to find out if it’s encrypted? Was told that I needed a different scanner, but I’m not sure. If it’s encrypted, no type of scanner will work.

Nasby

According to the database neither are encrypted. You’ll need a scanner that covers BOTH NXDN and DMR. Uniden has one called the BCD160DN.

dryfb

Local knowledge here, absolutely no encryption used on any NXDN channel. Tac channels aren't used either, everything is on the main dispatch channel or thru a phone call. Most SO calls are done thru MDTs, 7400 will say "signal 9" and that's it, occasionally the call will be said though. Oh! And everything is 12.5 kHz/9600/Narrow NXDN, instead of very narrow.

Some volunteer fire departments have access to NXDN radios, at this point I think most depts. have newer radios. All EMS stations and Bascom EMS have NXDN radios and you'll occasionally hear Bascom standing in for TFD's medic. Not too sure if the switch will happen soon but county fire dispatch may go NXDN as well.

Also, I occasionally hear deputies in analog since the radios still have the analog channel programmed. Dispatch can't hear analog from what I've picked up on but make sure your scanner is running mixed mode so you can hear if that happens.

Last edited:

snapperq

Premium Subscriber
I recently bought a BCD160DN because I wasn’t able to get Seneca/Tiffin on my BCD996. So when you say mixed mode,do you mean that it should be set to auto. That way I get digital or analog? The scanner is okay but when the station talks it’s mushy at times.Don’t know if it’s them or the radio. If it keeps up I may send it back. Thanks for the information,it’s greatly appreciated!

dryfb

I recently bought a BCD160DN because I wasn’t able to get Seneca/Tiffin on my BCD996. So when you say mixed mode,do you mean that it should be set to auto. That way I get digital or analog? The scanner is okay but when the station talks it’s mushy at times.Don’t know if it’s them or the radio. If it keeps up I may send it back. Thanks for the information,it’s greatly appreciated!
Yeah, auto mode on scanners. I run actual 2 way radios since I'm a ham and mixed is the term Kenwood uses. Dispatcher on Sen law will sound mushy at times, no idea why. If you can tune audio settings then play around with those and see if it helps.