Seneca Nation Marshal (Cattaraugus County, NY)

Status
Not open for further replies.

N3KGD

Premium Subscriber
Just curious if anyone knows much about this agency. Spotted their vehicle twice this year in Seneca Nation (which has awesome decals by the way). Was just up there the other day heading through to Buffalo, and stopped to get gas at the res. and he pulled in to fuel up also. Are they dispatched through the Cattaraugus County Sheriff, or do they have their own dispatch? Are they affiliated with the United States Government, or are they an agency through tribal nation? Do they have the ability to conduct traffic stops and run license plate / driver license information like a United States law enforcement officer would? Just curious what authorities/powers tribal law enforcement have and share with their American counterparts.

ecps92

Marshal's Office
The Seneca Nation Marshals from Cattaraugus and Allegany serve and protect the members and property of the Seneca Nation. They uphold the laws of the Seneca Constitution and keep the community safe on all territories including Allegany, Cattaraugus and Oil Spring. The 20 person squad enforces all Seneca laws as first responders and works with neighboring local, state and federal offers when necessary

Just curious if anyone knows much about this agency. Spotted their vehicle twice this year in Seneca Nation (which has awesome decals by the way). Was just up there the other day heading through to Buffalo, and stopped to get gas at the res. and he pulled in to fuel up also. Are they dispatched through the Cattaraugus County Sheriff, or do they have their own dispatch? Are they affiliated with the United States Government, or are they an agency through tribal nation? Do they have the ability to conduct traffic stops and run license plate / driver license information like a United States law enforcement officer would? Just curious what authorities/powers tribal law enforcement have and share with their American counterparts.

N3KGD

Premium Subscriber
Thanks! I saw that earlier in a Google search but that context didn't fully answer my question. Was just curious if they are enacted through Indian Nation or through the US Government, and if they were able to enforce US law or just that of the tribal land. If such an agency had access to NLETS/NCIC to do vehicle/driver queries, or if they just have their own system for tribe members. Still pretty interesting regardless. Might have to search for their frequency sometime and take a listen if they aren't encrypted.

k2hz

Database Admin
Thanks! I saw that earlier in a Google search but that context didn't fully answer my question. Was just curious if they are enacted through Indian Nation or through the US Government, and if they were able to enforce US law or just that of the tribal land. If such an agency had access to NLETS/NCIC to do vehicle/driver queries, or if they just have their own system for tribe members. Still pretty interesting regardless. Might have to search for their frequency sometime and take a listen if they aren't encrypted.

ecps92

Many Tribes do have NCIC and NLETS, however I would venture their powers are restricted to Reservation / Sovereign Land

ak716

Premium Subscriber
FWIW, I know they run with ECSO, to assist them. They cannot talk on ECSO radio, but you'll hear the ECSO dispatcher say "SNI Marshals call radio", and then you'll hear the proper ECSO car dispatched to a call a moment later. They take a Peace Officer course, but I do not believe they are armed. They kinda keep to themselves. I have seen one on a traffic stop once, or what appeared to be a traffic stop. I don't know their true enforcement ability or how it works. Everyone I've asked about them has some different story of what they can or can't do. The chatter you hear from them on the SNI Cap+ system makes you believe they don't really do traditional law enforcement like we see PD's, Sheriffs Office and State Police. I saw a job posting for them not too long ago and basically you had to. I believe they primarily enforce tribal rules and laws from what I recall reading.

N3KGD

Premium Subscriber
FWIW, I know they run with ECSO, to assist them. They cannot talk on ECSO radio, but you'll hear the ECSO dispatcher say "SNI Marshals call radio", and then you'll hear the proper ECSO car dispatched to a call a moment later. They take a Peace Officer course, but I do not believe they are armed. They kinda keep to themselves. I have seen one on a traffic stop once, or what appeared to be a traffic stop. I don't know their true enforcement ability or how it works. Everyone I've asked about them has some different story of what they can or can't do. The chatter you hear from them on the SNI Cap+ system makes you believe they don't really do traditional law enforcement like we see PD's, Sheriffs Office and State Police. I saw a job posting for them not too long ago and basically you had to. I believe they primarily enforce tribal rules and laws from what I recall reading.

Thank you all for the information! I've been monitoring the frequency a few times while passing through and haven't heard any activity yet. Not sure how active their system is. I'm up in Buffalo for the weekend and see if I can hear any activity.

N3KGD

Premium Subscriber
I saw a job posting for them not too long ago and basically you had to.

I'm not sure what you were trying to say there? Do they have to be tribal members to be a Tribe Marshal, or hold any sort of law enforcement/criminal justice type certification from what you recall in the job posting? Or are the qualifications more like that of a unarmed security officer? I'll have to do some searching. Just find it pretty interesting regardless. Thanks again all for the info!

Edit: found an old job posting on Google...
"Candidate must be at least 25 years of age and possess a valid NYS driver's license. Must have satisfactorily passed basic Police Officer training or be willing to attend class and successfully complete all requirements. Will assist in the investigation of criminal and civil offenses and the apprehension of criminals. Reports to the Chief Marshal on designated territory."

Last edited:

ak716

Premium Subscriber
I'm not sure what you were trying to say there? Do they have to be tribal members to be a Tribe Marshal, or hold any sort of law enforcement/criminal justice type certification from what you recall in the job posting? Or are the qualifications more like that of a unarmed security officer? I'll have to do some searching. Just find it pretty interesting regardless. Thanks again all for the info!

Edit: found an old job posting on Google...
"Candidate must be at least 25 years of age and possess a valid NYS driver's license. Must have satisfactorily passed basic Police Officer training or be willing to attend class and successfully complete all requirements. Will assist in the investigation of criminal and civil offenses and the apprehension of criminals. Reports to the Chief Marshal on designated territory."

Yeah, my bad, I went to go find the posting again, and couldn't and apparently just ended that sentence there.... yeah, you found what I was trying to though lol

Status
Not open for further replies.