• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

    Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

    If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

    To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

    The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

    For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

    This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

SenhaiX GT-12: Legal Use in Canada for New Amateur Radio Operators?


Jun 6, 2024
Hi everyone,

I recently purchased a SenhaiX GT-12 handheld radio from China, and I was wondering if it can be legally used in Canada. I am planning to take the amateur radio operator exam in October and will apply for a call sign afterwards. Do I need to ensure that my radio meets specific certification standards for it to be used legally once I get my license?

Thank you all for your help!


Jun 20, 2005
Travelers Rest, SC
Looking at my GT-12, the only certification is a CMIIT one for devices sold in China. Basically it is a gray market radio for North America and Europe. Did you read the two threads here about issues with the radios? Some issues were deal killers for many users, although I don't think those guys were using them primarily for amateur radio.

I like mine for what I use it for. Like many inexpensive import radios, the 55 hertz squelch tail elimination is not compatible with the common reverse burst used by most repeaters in the USA. To use the memory scan function, the radio has to be powered up on zone one.

Otherwise, it has a good case, 3000ma batteries, and a strong belt clip. The included antenna is a bit unwieldy, but works very well. You will want a replacement.
Last edited: