• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Senior with a Situation.

Status
Not open for further replies.

robertmac

Premium Subscriber
And solar cycle 25 is here so CB will be useless for this situation during daylight hours and probably night as well.

slowmover

Temporarily Banned
Timeout for bad behavior
Some nicely-done posts. Welcome additions to the thread.

Still, can older church members talk with each other or neighbors & friends nearby? The broader question.

I run across “groups” in areas every so often. They’re not next door to each other. They can be several miles apart and CB is serving a function. I can drive W-E thru OKC in the evenings and for more than thirty miles talk with some of the same people on base stations & mobiles throughout. The fact that many are on the air every night is the salient fact, not what gear or expertise.

“Practicality” is down to experience.

Experience comes from the willingness to try.

CB isn’t a two-way radio. It’s more of a net of possibility draped over an area (where local conditions as well as solar conditions apply).

If it didn’t work well, truck drivers and others wouldn’t bother. 1-2/miles reliably almost always, and 3-5/miles commonly. Base stations can do this well and better versus the difficulties of mobile installations.

Citizens Band Radio is basic. No other type or format can make that claim. Ownership, needing no outside intercession.

A group wanting to use it is almost its definition. It’s function. Reason for being.

Determination means the willingness to experiment. To try. To accept findings against desire. To further define “need”.

And that needs someone with tech knowledge willing to help. One needn’t be expert.

Radio Clubs were how this knowledge got disseminated through common interest. As with any need of a group; any association formed to foster stated ends.

The technical end isn’t what’s important as to beginnings. It’s unity of purpose the way a group states needs and desires. How it helps itself.

Distances can fluctuate throughout the day, the season, the cycle. But only those on-the-air will notice.

It’s a regular occurrence that two drivers can’t hear each other as they increase distances away. And it’s as regular an occurrence I relay the words of one to the other.

Doctors don’t heal the sick & injured. They create better conditions for that to occur. The body heals itself. The patient must desire to become well.

To that end, then, is Spirit.
No avenues are closed off.

Last edited:

slowmover

Temporarily Banned
Timeout for bad behavior
My brother and I live about 7-8 miles apart. While we're both licensed for ham radio, we thought we'd give CB radio a try after a 40 yr hiatus. A few months ago, we each set up a stock CB (am only) and a wire dipole at about 25ft at our respective houses. Despite being pretty much line of site, we still couldn't make a reliable contact with each other. Granted, SSB would have been better but I'm just not sure how reliable it would be.

Not to be tedious, but you’ll recognize these as extensions of the value of a group effort. (Asked rhetorically, not personally).

1). How did you define reliable?

2). Did either of you make any tests as to Area of Coverage? Point-to-Point on a map showing radial circles in distance. GPS points.

3). Were these temporary installations, or are they still in operation? Used daily, or only by agreement?

In other words, over the course of a year, my brother & I found the following (A, B, C, D, etc), and we made the following changes (1, 2, 3, 4, etc) to qualify our experience.

We tested distances with club members calling in from known waypoints.

A version of, Field Strength, writ large.

What I’m trying to say here is that with (19) members on-air — and an efficient mobile in operation — a group test of reception can be performed.

Sure. Takes maps, willingness and the rest.

— And it might be that at the County Road Department parking lot that mobile can hear and be heard by all. In the evenings. In summer. (Etc).

— That one or more base installations have better ears than the others.

A group effort has much to recommend it.

Unity of Purpose = United.

In you two brothers area let’s postulate that a dozen others want to be on-air. It wouldn’t take much for Clem & Shem to compare notes about individual installations using on-air testing to try and remedy weaknesses in the local CB net, now would it? (My only point).

How to organize tests.

What family members use is one thing. Radios that may be “better”.

What my neighbors have is the real thing.

Unity = United.
In my community.

This is how to understand Citizen Band Radio.
Not me, but we

Last edited:

bharvey2

Not to be tedious, but you’ll recognize these as extensions of the value of a group effort. (Asked rhetorically, not personally).

1). How did you define reliable?

2). Did either of you make any tests as to Area of Coverage? Point-to-Point on a map showing radial circles in distance. GPS points.

3). Were these temporary installations, or are they still in operation? Used daily, or only by agreement?

In other words, over the course of a year, my brother & I found the following (A, B, C, D, etc), and we made the following changes (1, 2, 3, 4, etc) to qualify our experience.

We tested distances with club members calling in from known waypoints.

A version of, Field Strength, writ large.

What I’m trying to say here is that with (19) members on-air — and an efficient mobile in operation — a group test of reception can be performed.

Sure. Takes maps, willingness and the rest.

— And it might be that at the County Road Department parking lot that mobile can hear and be heard by all. In the evenings. In summer. (Etc).

— That one or more base installations have better ears than the others.

A group effort has much to recommend it.

Unity of Purpose = United.

In you two brothers area let’s postulate that a dozen others want to be on-air. It wouldn’t take much for Clem & Shem to compare notes about individual installations using on-air testing to try and remedy weaknesses in the local CB net, now would it? (My only point).

How to organize tests.

What family members use is one thing. Radios that may be “better”.

What my neighbors have is the real thing.

Unity = United.
In my community.

This is how to understand Citizen Band Radio.
Not me, but we

My brother and I performed this test one time and only with the intention of communicating between the two of us. I only related it because it closely approximated, in scope, the conditions and problem that Rita posed in her original post. There was no indication that she wanted to turn this into a science experiment. Furthermore, while she may be able to communicate with fellow church members or friends via CB, I'm assuming (perhaps incorrectly so given later posts) that an inability to communicate with her brother would lessen the value of setting up a CB station. She'll have to make that call. In any case, I never got the impression that CB philosophy was a concern of hers.

RFI-EMI-GUY

As far as GMRS service, I see the following repeaters on MyGMRS.com

Bridge 600 (Chenago Bridge) 462/467.600 141.3 Hz

Endicott (Bingingham) 550 462/467.550 141.3 Hz

These are both open repeaters.

Windsor indeed has a large mountain to the west. It appears to block the above repeaters, while they appear to serve Endwell.

I suggest the OP contact the repeater owner below to inquire about a common repeater or network in the area that will connect between those two cities of Endwell and Windsor. It won't hurt. There might be an unknown repeater that will work, or the owner may be amenable to linking a hot spot in Windsor or even putting up a repeater at her location in Windsor.

FiveFilter

Quote: "...I left him on a dam high above town with both handhelds and I drove down into the flats below running a GPS for distance measuring. At half a mile we lost comms on the CB radios . He just faded into the noise. At 7 miles (line of sight due to the height of the dam overlooking town) the FRS radio was still loud and clear. Dad didn't want to hang around any more so we ended the test...."

In a range contest, hand-held ratios with their short antennas are a non-starter for the big 11 meter band, unless it's in competition with two cans and a short string; better make that string short. :)

Where the CB shines is with a five-foot-plus whip on a big metal roof. Some folks talk to the Aussies when the sun cooperates.

slowmover

Temporarily Banned
Timeout for bad behavior
My brother and I performed this test one time and only with the intention of communicating between the two of us. I only related it because it closely approximated, in scope, the conditions and problem that Rita posed in her original post. There was no indication that she wanted to turn this into a science experiment. Furthermore, while she may be able to communicate with fellow church members or friends via CB, I'm assuming (perhaps incorrectly so given later posts) that an inability to communicate with her brother would lessen the value of setting up a CB station. She'll have to make that call. In any case, I never got the impression that CB philosophy was a concern of hers.

Yes. I know. Why the word rhetorically was used at outset.

A snapshot from real life used as example. See dictionary.

It could be a pretty fair number of people are interested. If so,

those who understand the obstacles based on some evidence

might earn their keep.

PearlSnow6724

Looks like they’re one and the same.

And it’s an excellent idea, though geography and available funds make it difficult.

A wire dipole in the trees is the likeliest “best” solution.

It’s worth the effort to get some folks closer than 25-miles apart to ask the congregation for their aid. The ones “in town”, so to speak. Test group. May be someone with a bucket truck the church could sponsor. Or a tree service.

An SSB-capable CB radio is (should be) the minimum.

Wire dipoles are DIY. Some coax and how to ground (against lightning ) are the other part.

The radio would need a 120V-to-12V power supply.

Radio
Coax
Antenna
Power Supply
Copper Grounding

A video worth watching is by Cryptic Cricket (102” Whip Base Station Antenna) as another type. Good grounding emphasis. (Those antennas are about $20, but shipping doubles that).

In return, I’d imagine the oldsters could come up with what irregular hours kept could be of service to the larger community.

This is where to start. Prayerful consideration through which the benefits are in both directions.

It’s enough that a friendly voice is available. “To listen” means more than putting the words together to derive meaning. They’re the form, . . but the real content may be hidden below.

If there’s a group all within a few miles of each other, then a morning hour or an evening hour where a volunteer agrees to be on-air, has been my first thought. A starting point only.

CB Radio is just a little doorbell.

Ripples spreading outwards from a centrally-located group.

I suppose I don’t need to remind a lady of tender sensibilities that CB can can get kinda rough with some users. That can be tamed. Patience. Love. Will make plenty of converts to better manners.

NY state has many citizens of life-long residence. This is a huge help. It gives me confidence to think of it. As there are ALSO bound to be some HAM radio operators in the area. (Tech expert).

See if there aren’t any HAM Radio (Amateur Radio) clubs in your region.

Boy Scouts used to have a corresponding merit badge.

Eagle Scouts have a service project to design and execute. Under a HAM operators guidance one can see the parallel.

A plan needed.

And a big uncle to knock together some unruly nephews heads to git’er dun (as they’d say here in Texas).

More locals with CBs in their cars & houses is a desired outgrowth. And who wants to go to a diner with that blasted TV turned on. Be a lot more fun if the local CB party line was heard.

Your own resources, Ma’am, are the key. Church members interested. Prayer and reflection. Please keep that first. Unity of Purpose. Let Him guide.

You’ve my prayer. (And that of others here). The tech stuff some of us are willing to help with. Your neighbors, the rest.

Your posting here caused me to think more on this. It’s been on my mind. Now is the time that all Citizens install and use this Radio.

Thank you

Best wishes.

Thank you for your reply, slow mover. I believe we are living in our last days, and must be prepared for the inevitable. I will be using a Ham radio for my purposes. I am putting up a book shelf for my radio equipment. It is tall and will fit in a spot against my wall. Hopefully, I can use the tall tree outside my window for my antenna. All I need is an office chair to complete my little set up.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    94.7 KB · Views: 19
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    82.1 KB · Views: 19

PearlSnow6724

Looks like they’re one and the same.

And it’s an excellent idea, though geography and available funds make it difficult.

A wire dipole in the trees is the likeliest “best” solution.

It’s worth the effort to get some folks closer than 25-miles apart to ask the congregation for their aid. The ones “in town”, so to speak. Test group. May be someone with a bucket truck the church could sponsor. Or a tree service.

An SSB-capable CB radio is (should be) the minimum.

Wire dipoles are DIY. Some coax and how to ground (against lightning ) are the other part.

The radio would need a 120V-to-12V power supply.

Radio
Coax
Antenna
Power Supply
Copper Grounding

A video worth watching is by Cryptic Cricket (102” Whip Base Station Antenna) as another type. Good grounding emphasis. (Those antennas are about $20, but shipping doubles that).

In return, I’d imagine the oldsters could come up with what irregular hours kept could be of service to the larger community.

This is where to start. Prayerful consideration through which the benefits are in both directions.

It’s enough that a friendly voice is available. “To listen” means more than putting the words together to derive meaning. They’re the form, . . but the real content may be hidden below.

If there’s a group all within a few miles of each other, then a morning hour or an evening hour where a volunteer agrees to be on-air, has been my first thought. A starting point only.

CB Radio is just a little doorbell.

Ripples spreading outwards from a centrally-located group.

I suppose I don’t need to remind a lady of tender sensibilities that CB can can get kinda rough with some users. That can be tamed. Patience. Love. Will make plenty of converts to better manners.

NY state has many citizens of life-long residence. This is a huge help. It gives me confidence to think of it. As there are ALSO bound to be some HAM radio operators in the area. (Tech expert).

See if there aren’t any HAM Radio (Amateur Radio) clubs in your region.

Boy Scouts used to have a corresponding merit badge.

Eagle Scouts have a service project to design and execute. Under a HAM operators guidance one can see the parallel.

A plan needed.

And a big uncle to knock together some unruly nephews heads to git’er dun (as they’d say here in Texas).

More locals with CBs in their cars & houses is a desired outgrowth. And who wants to go to a diner with that blasted TV turned on. Be a lot more fun if the local CB party line was heard.

Your own resources, Ma’am, are the key. Church members interested. Prayer and reflection. Please keep that first. Unity of Purpose. Let Him guide.

You’ve my prayer. (And that of others here). The tech stuff some of us are willing to help with. Your neighbors, the rest.

Your posting here caused me to think more on this. It’s been on my mind. Now is the time that all Citizens install and use this Radio.

Thank you
Hello. I'm new to this world of CB/Ham radio. It's been over 40 years since I've used a CB radio. My late husband and his father introduced me to it then. Now, my brother and I would like to use a CB for our long-distance communications. Since I have health issues, I cannot drive. He and his wife live in their apartment 25 miles from my home. I'm in the center of very tall trees, with a mountain behind my tiny home. I feel I may require a "Ham" radio with a tall antenna at the top of my tree to get any radio signal. I don't own a professionally-trained monkey to climb and set up such an antenna, just 2 loveable dogs. Please advise me on my situation. Thank you for your time. .... Rita

Best wishes.

Hello. I decided to set up my tall bookshelf up and use the tall tree outside my window for my convenience. Plus my radio and such will be out of reach from my 2 dogs. I also, am ordering some books for further self education. I know what I want and need to have done.
I enjoyed all of your wonderful comments and replies.
I hope these photos will show you what I'm dealing with.

You are all knowledgeable and awesome people. Enjoy the photos.
Peace to all.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    84.4 KB · Views: 10
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    113 KB · Views: 17
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    68.3 KB · Views: 21
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    68.2 KB · Views: 19
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    41.7 KB · Views: 13

slowmover

Temporarily Banned
Timeout for bad behavior
There are bound to be others in your area interested in use, and some others with some basic understanding.

Books will lead to being able to pose good questions.

I firmly believe that when we make a change in the compass heading that others start to show up.

The most common antenna is a dipole.

A well-regraded one that is inexpensive is the RADIOWAVZ Bazooka Dipole about which you may read at CBRadioMagazine.

That full site is very good. Reviews and articles. When the time comes to make any purchase, the recommendations are safe to follow.

Lightning protection is the single important safety factor. The ARRL and others have very good information. (Not complicated).

As a companion — my CB is on 300+ days yearly 10-12/hrs daily — it (like other things new) takes time to adjust to using and becoming adapted.

It’s VERY easy for me to envision that some of the local truck drivers (hauling gravel or cement or other bulk commodities) would welcome your presence on AM-19.

This type truck job has men home daily; they often work as a group. Start before dawn and finish early to mid-afternoon. They may also be on adjacent channels.

There are other drivers who cover much of the same ground in a weeks period. Again, being home nightly almost always. May live in a larger nearby town with cross-dock facilities.

Then there are others (think, contractors) who keep up with each other as a matter of course.

Like attracts like. (The more friendly voices, the better). Regulars en route somewhere can make the hours of the clock come alive.

Past geography, your locale has long-time residents. Which means long-time CB Radio users.

A base station installation is fairly straight-forward. Getting the coax thru the wall to the outside is similar to a cable TV installation.

The magic of antennas, though, can be harder to capture.

Let’s say that none of us got everything right without trial & error. (And “got it right” has layers).

Dogs or cats sometimes “dislike” radio gear, so prepare they can’t knock to floor. Pics online of “radio base stations” might be a help to keep that away.

Keep us appraised (this thread) if that suits.

Best to you in your efforts. Mine has been aided by strangers. The same blessing I pray for you.

Last edited:

KevinC

Big Dog...celebrating 10 years of abuse!
Super Moderator
I may have missed it and I apologize if I did, but why can't you use something like Zello? You're uploading pictures so your not technically challenged and the selfies would imply you have a smartphone so Zello seems like a good option to me.

K4EET

Chaplain
@KevinC, I believe that the issue is she wants to communicate with her congregation and not all members have cellphones/smartphones which can be somewhat complicated to use for an aging population. Apparently, a two-way radio solution which is simple to operate may be more acceptable to the group. Please correct me if I am wrong @PearlSnow6724. Thanks! Dave

PearlSnow6724

I may have missed it and I apologize if I did, but why can't you use something like Zello? You're uploading pictures so your not technically challenged and the selfies would imply you have a smartphone so Zello seems like a good option to me.
Hi. No, I'm not technically challenged and I have an old cell phone that doesn't send pictures. But I did figure out how to upload pictures....finally. Lol. I'm slow, but not dead...yet
@KevinC, I believe that the issue is she wants to communicate with her congregation and not all members have cellphones/smartphones which can be somewhat complicated to use for an aging population. Apparently, a two-way radio solution which is simple to operate may be more acceptable to the group. Please correct me if I am wrong @PearlSnow6724. Thanks! Dave
You are absolutely correct, 👍 😉 K4EET. My daughter informed me that some of her tall trees were going to be cut down. About 6-8 of them. This is good news. More of a view, etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.