Senitnel: How do you erase lists?

Status
Not open for further replies.

lawman210

New to using software for scanner. To make it even more complicated I just got a new bcd536. Here is my issue. I delete all my lists off of the sentinel favorites list on computer. I then write that information to scanner but when I disconnect the scanner I turn it on and all my lists are still there. This means that some of my old lists that I have changed or wanting to do away with are still there. I can turn them off so they don't scan but when I go to the folder to manage lists they are still there. I can't figure out how to update the list on the scanner itself.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

ofd8001

Premium Subscriber
I too am learning Sentinel so this might be a case of "the near-sighted leading the blind".

After deleting your Favorites Lists in Sentinel and doing the write to the scanner, did you check the box in the write window that says "Erase Favorites Lists on Scanner"?

vortex360

They are stored in My Documents\Uniden\BCD536HP\Favorite Lists. One can add or delete them there.

lawman210

Why must you delete them from there? Isn't there a way that will auto sync what you have on your screen when u write it to the scanner? I think I tried that and it basically erased my entire setup on my HP1. Had to re input all my settings. I then was hesitant to do it on the 536 ad it says it will delete all my favorites.

ofd8001

Premium Subscriber
I was operating on the presumption that you deleted your Favorites Lists in your Sentinel and you also wanted to delete them from the scanner. "I delete all my lists off of the sentinel favorites list on computer."

I'm only surmising, but I suspect that an "Auto Sync" was left out as a safeguard against inadvertently deleting something from the scanner. The way I described is a deliberate process being sure you want to do what you are about to do.

I'm a lot more familiar with the ARC software than Sentinel. From what I see writing "stuff" to scanners and erasing "stuff" from scanners is pretty similar between the two.

RF23

Premium Subscriber
New to using software for scanner. To make it even more complicated I just got a new bcd536. Here is my issue. I delete all my lists off of the sentinel favorites list on computer. I then write that information to scanner but when I disconnect the scanner I turn it on and all my lists are still there. This means that some of my old lists that I have changed or wanting to do away with are still there. I can turn them off so they don't scan but when I go to the folder to manage lists they are still there. I can't figure out how to update the list on the scanner itself.

I have read on RR that you may need to go to EDIT and edit your Profile and turn on "Download" for the FL you are working with or it will not download to the scanner.

You might also while there check to see if "Monitor" (the column just to the left of "Download" is on too.

Hope this helps.

lawman210

I am going to try to delete the favorites and again tomorrow and check the box that says delete favorites and see what happens. I also read it might have something to do with the profiles. Ty

ofd8001

Premium Subscriber
A thing to think about. Before wiping everything out, you might use your Windows File Explorer to copy and paste your Favorites files to a backup folder on your computer. That way you can restore them so nothing is lost.

You could also accomplish this is using Sentinel to export your favorites (File>Export to HPE file). That would allow you to import them back into Sentinel allowing for recovery.

Yet a third option is to get another SD card and copy what is on the one in your scanner. Then you'd have a "good" card as a back-up and tinker with the copy.

RF23

Premium Subscriber
If possible try to modify your profile first because if you check the box to delete your favorites it will delete them in the scanner and computer. Therefore, you had better have them backed up someplace or you will be starting over.

I made the mistake of doing this once when I first got my HP-1. I was thinking it would get rid of all the junk in my scanner so I could then use Sentinel to load my favorites back. However, when I checked Sentinel my favorites were gone from there too, I was NOT amused!

Once you get the "Download" turned on in your Profile, what every you see in Sentinel is what you will see in your scanner after you download your FL list to the scanner. The reason for this is it does not add to a favorites list it actually erases the old FL in your scanner and writes the new FL you have in Sentinel, so no left overs so to speak.

lawman210

A thing to think about. Before wiping everything out, you might use your Windows File Explorer to copy and paste your Favorites files to a backup folder on your computer. That way you can restore them so nothing is lost.

You could also accomplish this is using Sentinel to export your favorites (File>Export to HPE file). That would allow you to import them back into Sentinel allowing for recovery.

Yet a third option is to get another SD card and copy what is on the one in your scanner. Then you'd have a "good" card as a back-up and tinker with the copy.

That is a good idea..actually a few good ideas. I haven't gotten deep into a lot of agencies so if I do delete it all i won't be heartbroken. For some tho I can see that issue. My first scanner on along time. Mainly just have a bunch of the same departments that i copied over and over on to card while learning how to do it

jkahn

Very good looking Member
Premium Subscriber
I am not familiar with the new Sentinel version for the x36, but in my HP-1 version, there is a setting when you edit your Favorites that lets you check/uncheck a box for downloading to the scanner or not.

If you do not want to delete the fav list from the computer, but do not want to download to the radio at this time, just uncheck that box before you write to the scanner.
Just checked new Sentinel: click Edit Profile (the paper with pencil icon). On the Scan Selection tab there is the click box for Download for each favorite list.

JK ;)

KWs

Premium Subscriber
Assuming it's same as HP Sentinel ... highlight the favorite you want to erase .. click the red X ..
that is to permanently remove .....

lawman210

I am not familiar with the new Sentinel version for the x36, but in my HP-1 version, there is a setting when you edit your Favorites that lets you check/uncheck a box for downloading to the scanner or not.

If you do not want to delete the fav list from the computer, but do not want to download to the radio at this time, just uncheck that box before you write to the scanner.
Just checked new Sentinel: click Edit Profile (the paper with pencil icon). On the Scan Selection tab there is the click box for Download for each favorite list.

JK ;)

I was just deleting the departments and after erasing the favorites I didn't want (on the pc) I would then select download to the scanner
I expected to see the list on my scanner to change to match. But it kept all the old lists on my scanner

Status
Not open for further replies.