Sensitivity gone ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

SCPD

QRT
My scanner is not as sensitive as it was last month when I purchased it new. It doesn't pick up much traffic anymore is the radio broken or did something get changed when using ProSCAN ? I'm disappointed that I can't listen to LAPD with a duck antenna I now have to use my outdoor omni on the tower...

ofd8001

Premium Subscriber
Try doing a weather scan. If you are having trouble receiving weather service broadcasts, that suggests a problem.

You might try taking your scanner to some other location and see if the problem persists. The home environment could have some things going on which cause interference and can de-sense a scanner.

Lastly I note you have a couple of Motorola mobiles. Any chance you have keyed up one of these with the antenna being very close to the scanner antenna? That could have messed up the front end of your scanner. Hopefully not as that means the scanner has to be repaired.

tilt404

I don't know if anything has gone up close to you like a cell tower even. After one went up near me, very close to me actually, a lot of stations were more difficult to pick up. I don't know if you just find the lack of sensitivity in one location though.

SCPD

QRT
Try doing a weather scan. If you are having trouble receiving weather service broadcasts, that suggests a problem.

You might try taking your scanner to some other location and see if the problem persists. The home environment could have some things going on which cause interference and can de-sense a scanner.

Lastly I note you have a couple of Motorola mobiles. Any chance you have keyed up one of these with the antenna being very close to the scanner antenna? That could have messed up the front end of your scanner. Hopefully not as that means the scanner has to be repaired.

Yes I am only getting one clear weather station with no bars on the display, usually I can get 3 stations at full reception. No I do not key my radios while scanning.

Last night I factory reset the radio thinking maybe it was a setting but that did nothing.

Does anyone know what I need to do to get it fixed ? It's only a month old and purchased brand new off eBay (not a referb).

ofd8001

Premium Subscriber
Presuming you have also tried scanning from a different location to rule out local interference, it looks like a trip to Uniden's Service is the next step.

I'm pretty sure Uniden has a one year warranty on new products. So if you got all your receipts, you might be okay. I can't say for sure as eBay probably isn't a Uniden vendor - that would be the only potential hitch.

Here's a link to Uniden Product repair:

Product Repair

Second to worst case scenario (not covered by warranty): Uniden would charge a flat rate repair, which I think is $49.95 plus shipping.

Worst case scenario (and real unlikely): The scanner can't be repaired. Uniden will offer a comparable model at a discounted rate and the flat rate repair cost is applied toward the cost.

wtp

if

if you can get better reception with a different antenna it could be that the ducky is broken. check to see if the center pin is still on the antenna, it could have broken off. also the center lead inside the antenna could be broken but not visible. a simple thing to try is another antenna. you might have to use the adapter to use a bnc antenna. many here recommend the radio shack 800 ducky and i use it as well.

SCPD

QRT
Presuming you have also tried scanning from a different location to rule out local interference, it looks like a trip to Uniden's Service is the next step.

I'm pretty sure Uniden has a one year warranty on new products. So if you got all your receipts, you might be okay. I can't say for sure as eBay probably isn't a Uniden vendor - that would be the only potential hitch.

Here's a link to Uniden Product repair:

Product Repair

Second to worst case scenario (not covered by warranty): Uniden would charge a flat rate repair, which I think is $49.95 plus shipping.

Worst case scenario (and real unlikely): The scanner can't be repaired. Uniden will offer a comparable model at a discounted rate and the flat rate repair cost is applied toward the cost.

i don't understand Unidens description do they want a prepaid return label with the scanner when I ship it out ?
Proof of purchase, would that be the UPC off the box (cut it off and send it with the scanner) ?
Should I call Uniden before mailing it out ? I payed $400+ for the scanner and made sure it was brand new and not a refurbished to get the full year warranty :/

if you can get better reception with a different antenna it could be that the ducky is broken. check to see if the center pin is still on the antenna, it could have broken off. also the center lead inside the antenna could be broken but not visible. a simple thing to try is another antenna. you might have to use the adapter to use a bnc antenna. many here recommend the radio shack 800 ducky and i use it as well.

I have over two dozen HT type antennas they all give the same result; poor reception indoors or outdoors. This wasn't an issue a few days ago and nothing out of the ordinary occurred.

Sent from my SCH-I605

wtp

the other possible bad news

way back in high school my electronics teacher told us that with solid state receivers that it does not matter if they are on or off if they are too close to a transmitter and pick up too much energy the get fried, your situation might be more proof.

ofd8001

Premium Subscriber
I'd give Uniden a call at 1-800-235-3874 and see if they can answer your questions.

From the Uniden site:

Most new Uniden products carry a one year manufacturer’s warranty from the date of purchase. Please save your receipt for proof of purchase. See your warranty documents included with the product for more details.

Status
Not open for further replies.