Sentienl "Reconstructing full database"

Status
Not open for further replies.

k8mab

I have had no luck solving this... When Sentienl BCDx436 is launched it locks up and displays "Reconstructing full database"...

UPMan

In Memoriam
Premium Subscriber
I've only seen this happen on very old, underpowered PC's that do not meet minimum specs for the software. What is your configuration?

k8mab

System - Dell Inspiron 6000, Windows XP, 1.6ghz, 512 mb ram...
Regional setting is ok

phask

Premium Subscriber
That's an old PC my cell phone has more power then that computer.

Agree - I don't even know how it runs XP - I think it requires more than that.

XP is now considered "defunct" if the OP is not aware.

I have one 9 year old PC that still has XP - but is not currently running - it came with 4 gig of memory at the time.

jaspence

Premium Subscriber
Sentinal and XP problem.

512 is a minimum for xp and could be the start of your problem. XP itself with enough memory does quite well. I have older radio software that does not like newer versions because only com cables are available for programming. I do most of my programming on XP, including P25 and DMR radios with both com and USB cables. Just be careful if you go online and use a good antivirus/malware program.

jaspence

Premium Subscriber
Sentinal and XP problem.

64 for installation, 128 if you have lots of boot time, 512 to do anything useful BEFORE updates and add ons. If you ever tried to run it in 64, you should have an idea that the minimum is useless, especially in compiling something like the database. I started in the pre dos days, and other than a couple of Commodore computers never had a useful machine with less than 512 for production use.

JamesO

64 MB is SUCH A JOKE, this kind of garbage that MS stated is why most computers were slugs.

XP is not the problem, likely the 512 MB of RAM is and the number of running Processes.

Simple, press these keys, Control+Alt+ Delete, to bring up the Task Manager.

Looking at the Task Manager, choose the Performance tab.

What do the 2 graphs show? What are the values?
What value is in the bottom left corner for Processes?
Physical Memory box, what is the Available number?

Go to My Computer, Right click on the C drive, choose Properties and tell us what the Used and Free Space figures are. If the pie chart is over 80% blue things are going to get a bit problematic.

If RAM, Running Process and the hard drive is not over 75% full, you have other problems not hardware related.

If you have Norton or McAfee on the machine, this WILL not help.

k8mab

CP usage =2%,
PF usage =247mb
Processes 58
Physical memory available = 22846
C Used 18gb
C Free space 52.86 gb
Thanks !!!

kellykeeton

Dude you have 512mb ram swapping 200mb and you have 22mb free - you need to consider buying some ram or upgrading to at least 1.5gb before you can do much.

JamesO

CP usage =2%,
PF usage =247mb
Processes 58
Physical memory available = 22846
C Used 18gb
C Free space 52.86 gb
Thanks !!!

Need more RAM, its pretty cheap these days. Might be able to bloat the RAM out for as little as $30?

Running Process are a bit high, I always tired to have about 50 or less on XP machines I deal with.

Probably a BUNCH of crap can be removed, hard drive is probably fragmented bad after all these years. If you have AOL software, Norton or McAffee old printer software, Kodak camera software, it all should be removed, kicked to the curb and the machine will run like a new computer.

You could probably run fine with 1 GB of RAM, but might as well Max the machine out.

I get all my RAM from here, RAM Memory Upgrade - Apple Mac, Dell, HP | Configurator for Server, Laptop & Computer Memory Modules

Run their tool, it will usually tell you what RAM to buy and how much - w4s - 0194-5032-2899-6452-3600

You will likely need to abandon what RAM is in the machine, it probably only supports 2 modules.

Computer will also need a enema to clean all the crap out of it.

I still use a similar machine for my daily surfing machine, yes it has XP, nothing wrong with XP, better than Vista.

k8mab

JamesO - Thank you for your advice.. Upgraded to 2gb of memory and it is know ok with Sentienl..

JamesO

JamesO - Thank you for your advice.. Upgraded to 2gb of memory and it is know ok with Sentienl..

Glad it is working for you. You need to defrag the hard drive now as running short on RAM causes the hard drive to act as virtual memory and will use the hard drive as a Lazy Susan.

PM me if you would like the machine cleaned up, I do it remotely and I would do it for you as a forum member as a favor so you can be a spokesman for the Dinosaur laptop brigade.

As I said, I use a cousin to this machine on a daily basis. The only issue is the max RAM the machine supports is 2GB, so this at times is a limiting factory with my 25 Internet tabs open, documents, scanner software and so forth.

I could have a much newer machine, but I really do not need it and it would be a PITA for many of the other automotive software tools I run as well.

Funny how even modern technology does not measure up. My current machine is a single core processor. I find that the 8 core processors do nothing for day to day performance.

Even the quad core processors, I will not settle for anything less than an I5 processor.

But on all the current desktops I recommend, I pay about $350 for a dual core Intel G2020 running Windows 7 that will run circles around the I5 for daily tasks for about the half the price. I hand these machines out like candy and everyone is happy as can be.

I would rather replace the $350 machine in 2-3 years than the $700 machine 2-3 years an there is really no performance difference for a basic daily user.

Status
Not open for further replies.