Sentinal Profiles

Status
Not open for further replies.

fdnyfish

Feed Provider
So what's the point of having different profiles in Sentinal if you edit a favorite list in one, it changes them in all the profiles?

papa_p

So what's the point of having different profiles in Sentinal if you edit a favorite list in one, it changes them in all the profiles?

Make a copy of the favourite, make the changes. Then you have 2. Then set up 2 profiles and have them each load in the different favourite.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

IAmSixNine

Feed Provider
Profiles are a way for you to make changes to one scanner and not to another.
Lets say I have 2 scanners.One for me and one for my dad who lives in another area.
If he is to far away for my stuff i dont need to program his scanner with my info.
Profile 1 can be me and profile 2 can be him.
If i need to make a change to hi s scanner i load his profile and make the changes. Thus not affecting mine which is different from his.

JohnOldridge

Sentinel Faves List

Hello. That brings up a good topic. The situation I'm having with my faves lsit, is when I delete an item in one profile, it deletes from all the profiles. So, I'm having difficulty as well trying to figure this out. Thanks...

-John-

papa_p

Hello. That brings up a good topic. The situation I'm having with my faves lsit, is when I delete an item in one profile, it deletes from all the profiles. So, I'm having difficulty as well trying to figure this out. Thanks...

-John-

Your just editing the profile and touching nothing in your favourite list. If you edit you favourite list it changes it in all profiles. You just need to go into the profile and in check what you don't want, no deleting.

ShyFlyer

Premium Subscriber
Think of it this way: Your Favorites Lists are global. The only things unique to the profile are such items as service tags and which FLs are to be monitored/downloaded to the scanner, to name a few.

To me, the way Uniden chose to set up profiles is perhaps the biggest flaw in the software. A "Profile" should be completely unique. If a user wants to copy a FL to another profile, that could be accomplished with a simple right click and "send to" menu selection.

fdnyfish

Feed Provider
Profiles just save scanner setting, like service types. The sentinel software is only able to keep one set of favorite lists. Anything you edit changes in all profiles

fdnyfish

Feed Provider
Profiles are a way for you to make changes to one scanner and not to another.
Lets say I have 2 scanners.One for me and one for my dad who lives in another area.
If he is to far away for my stuff i dont need to program his scanner with my info.
Profile 1 can be me and profile 2 can be him.
If i need to make a change to hi s scanner i load his profile and make the changes. Thus not affecting mine which is different from his.

That is incorrect, you would still be working off the same favorite list if you are doing a profile for you and your dad in the same computer. All you can do is select which favorite lists to download to each scanner

phask

Premium Subscriber
It lets you load selected favorite lists, set different backlight, contrasts, opening messages. I have 3 HP1/2 and several profiles. One is only for mobile use.

ofd8001

Premium Subscriber
Another example: I have two 536 scanners, one in the house and the other in the car. They scan the same things. One difference is due to a mounting issue, I set the car's scanner to where the display is upside down. Another difference is that the car has a GPS so I need to set the port for 4800 buad, but the house uses Virtual Control with a higher baud rate.

Thus I have to have two different profiles, one for the house the other for the car to deal with these two different scanner settings. I would hate to re-plow a field and create a duplicate Favorites List.

Another scenario is having a 436 scanner, also scanning the stuff the 536 does. So that's a third profile.

papa_p

Another example: I have two 536 scanners, one in the house and the other in the car. They scan the same things. One difference is due to a mounting issue, I set the car's scanner to where the display is upside down. Another difference is that the car has a GPS so I need to set the port for 4800 buad, but the house uses Virtual Control with a higher baud rate.

Thus I have to have two different profiles, one for the house the other for the car to deal with these two different scanner settings. I would hate to re-plow a field and create a duplicate Favorites List.

Another scenario is having a 436 scanner, also scanning the stuff the 536 does. So that's a third profile.

Yes so create 3 different profiles all with different names. Make sure you load in the correct profile before writing to the scanner.

phask

Premium Subscriber
Yes so create 3 different profiles all with different names. Make sure you load in the correct profile before writing to the scanner.

I add the profile name or nickname to the startup screen as well.

fxdscon

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Premium Subscriber
All you can do is select which favorite lists to download to each scanner

Profiles do much, much more than that. They allow you to customize a separate, unique setup for many scanners by controlling many different parameters that get downloaded to different scanners.

Open your profile editor in Sentinel and check the list of options that are available on each of the tabs in the editor. All of those available options can be changed and saved on your computer as unique profiles for different scanners used for different purposes.

For the x36 scanners, these are just some of the parameters that can be customized in each profile:

A Profile is a group of settings that includes your Favorites List settings (download/monitor status, quick key status), location information (zip code, any saved locations, location range, GPS options), Service Type selections, Search and Close Call settings, weather settings, Tone-Out settings, and all your basic radio settings (display options, replay options, etc.).

This can all be done on one computer with one copy of Sentinel.

Ubbe

Yes, that's probably the biggest fault, that the profiles doesn't have it's own set of systems. If you want the systems to be the same you just copy them between profiles. I really prefere to have different profiles to test different things in the systems, without having to create new systems with unique names. If I change something directly in the scanner I would like that to be read back to Sentinel in another profile to make my current edited systems intact and not over written. Maybe it's a patent issue.

/Ubbe

ofd8001

Premium Subscriber
If I change something directly in the scanner I would like that to be read back to Sentinel in another profile to make my current edited systems intact and not over written. Maybe it's a patent issue.
/Ubbe

If you make a change to something in the scanner and then use Sentinel to Read the scanner, it will detect "something" has changed. You will then be given the option of overwriting what is stored on the computer or creating a new Favorites List with a new name.

scan-pa

RRDB Admin
Database Admin
Best way to do it is start sentinel, and click file, save as, then create new profile and name it followed bu thw date. Ex. Main_june_02_2017_001, and then save that current one on your pc. Then create another new profile. Ex. Main_june_02_2017_002, read from the scanner, make your changes then save it. I have a seperate profile saved for every change i have made, and can reload or review them as needed

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

fdnyfish

Feed Provider
Best way to do it is start sentinel, and click file, save as, then create new profile and name it followed bu thw date. Ex. Main_june_02_2017_001, and then save that current one on your pc. Then create another new profile. Ex. Main_june_02_2017_002, read from the scanner, make your changes then save it. I have a seperate profile saved for every change i have made, and can reload or review them as needed

All profiles will have same favorite list info in it, no matter when you saved it

scan-pa

RRDB Admin
Database Admin
No you can edit each profile and set what favorite lists to include. The edit profile button is left of the edit favorite list button.

Status
Not open for further replies.